Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Horse eating his rug

• 18-12-2007 8:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,481 ✭✭✭

Has anybody got a cure for this annoying habit that my horse is developing. He is in a stable for the Winter. He made s**t of a rug last year and now he has started on this new one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭missloulou

I think you can get cribbox in a spray now, if it works for fencing surely it can do the same for your rug? I don't think its as sticky/ gooey as the paste stuff.

Found this on the web, says its fine for rugs NET-TEX SEVEN DAY ANTI-CRIB GEL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

maybe he's bored.....is he getting any turnout?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

The crib-halt stuff is good, but if its just started try and find the reason. Turn-out, stress, boredom. I had this before and i put a horse-lick in the stable. It worked. Good luck cos i know how expensive it can get!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭TheB

kerrysgold wrote: »
    maybe he's bored.....is he getting any turnout?

As KG and Tog say - is he bored ?? Is normally the reason for horses starting this kind of behaviour.. then it becomes a habit..

Licks are a good idea, Snackballs are also good.. the horse has to work a little to get the nuts out so is a brain stimulator too.. or hang a few Swedes/Turnips up where they swing so they can play/nibble at them.. George has a Lickit when he is in - he loves it and it keeps him amused for hours..

He's scared of his Snack-A-Ball 'cos it rattled at him when he nudged it :rolleyes:

The best cure IMO though is turn out as much as you can.. obviously this is sometimes not possible.. ]

As above something like Cribbox or ChewStop is good to prevent major damage - This Stuff - NAF CribStop..is good - clear so won't mark stuff... Bitter Apple (from some healthfood shops/pet shops) wiped or mixed with water and sprayed on rugs etc works well too.. although be careful - if horse can't take out his frustration or whatever on his rugs as he's doing now due to a spray he might find something else to do.. i.e chewing wood, box walking etc etc

Bx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

TheB wrote: »
    if horse can't take out his frustration or whatever on his rugs as he's doing now due to a spray he might find something else to do.. i.e chewing wood, box walking etc etc

Bx

Good point; OP, the problem can start to manifest itself in other ways. Wind-sucking weaving etc. Stop it now before its too late....

• Advertisement
Advertisement