Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vista Hard Drive

• 18-12-2007 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭

Ok, have a Dual boot system, Vista and XP where i have the Main HD Partitioned C D And E With Vista On C And XP on D. Then i have a 750GB on H and a 300GB on G. No in Vista only i can hear a Disk Starting up and slowing down, when i am in XP these does not happen. I thought it may have something to do with power managment, so in Power options i i set it to High Performance? I can still hear the Disc Slowing down and stopping and then starting up. Has anyone had this issue and know how to solve it?
    Thanks
    Kevin

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭SickBoy

You have to actually set the drive to not spin down in the power options. As far as I know the default profiles do not set the drive to never spin down.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭kryan1

where is the option to do that? Is it in d power options window, or is it in the properties of the individual drive's? Thanks for the reply. Kevin.

kryan1 wrote: »
    Ok, have a Dual boot system, Vista and XP where i have the Main HD Partitioned C D And E With Vista On C And XP on D. Then i have a 750GB on H and a 300GB on G. Now in Vista only i can hear a Disk Starting up and slowing down, when i am in XP these does not happen. I thought it may have something to do with power managment, so in Power options i i set it to High Performance? I can still hear the Disc Slowing down and stopping and then starting up. Has anyone had this issue and know how to solve it?
    Thanks
    Kevin

Has anyone had this problem or know of a solution to it?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Yes it's a known problem
    I've heard of this where the drive stops about once a minute which is bad news because hard drives like light bulbs won't power on/off forever. yes it should have been fixed because it will shorten the life of the drive / increase the chance of loosing all data on it.

can't remember the workaround or if a patch has been released

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

It's in Power Options (advanced section) as far as I remember, you get a tree structure of all power using things like monitor USB hard drives etc and you just change it in there, at least that's where I changed it and my drives no longer click on and off all the time.

I'm not at home with my Vista machine now so I can't get a screenie. :p

• Advertisement

Does anyone know of a solution to this yet? Any advice or tips greatly appreciated.
    Kevin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,063 ✭✭✭BKtje

My drives used to do this as well but i haven't noticed it in a long time now that you mention it.

Are you fully patched up?

B-K-DzR wrote: »
    My drives used to do this as well but i haven't noticed it in a long time now that you mention it.

Are you fully patched up?

i think i am anyway. All the updates are installed and still having the problem. Thanks for the responce.

Advertisement