Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Biased Free flow?

Options
  • 18-12-2007 9:03pm
    Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,501 ✭✭✭✭

Since operation free flow has begun, Ive noticed a very strange occurance. Leaving either the Ilac Carpark or Jervis Carpark, you can be stuck trying to get out for quite a while. In Jervis they have the one lad trying to direct leaving traffic, with oncoming traffic and pedestrians. Cars get backed up the exit very quickly.
    However, driving past both Brown Thomas and Stephens Green Car parks, there are Gardai at both exits, stopping traffic on the road and letting out the carpark traffic. I have to admit, it seems like Southsiders are getting the better end of Operation "cough" Freeflow "cough" compared to Northsiders!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Tomas_V

antodeco wrote: »
    Since operation free flow has begun, Ive noticed a very strange occurance. Leaving either the Ilac Carpark or Jervis Carpark, you can be stuck trying to get out for quite a while. In Jervis they have the one lad trying to direct leaving traffic, with oncoming traffic and pedestrians. Cars get backed up the exit very quickly.
    Jervis are doing it right. Pedestrians have priority over cars entering /exiting an entrance at all times. Cars on the road have priority over cars exiting.

The attendant's job is to make sure that entering/exiting cars give way.

It's the store owner's responsibility to marshal its car park traffic, not the Gardaí.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭nytraveller

Tomas_V wrote: »
    Jervis are doing it right. Pedestrians have priority over cars entering /exiting an entrance at all times. Cars on the road have priority over cars exiting.

The attendant's job is to make sure that entering/exiting cars give way.

It's the store owner's responsibility to marshal its car park traffic, not the Gardaí.

So if there's a sh*t-load of pedestrians on the path NO cars get out?
    Sounds like there will be alot of people stranded in the JS car park, especially during the busy Christmas shopping periods.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It doesn't help that pedestrians crossing entrances/exits generally don't accomodate cars, They may have right of way, but from personal experience, even when you drive beyond the footpath, they will walk around the front of your car and onto the road rather than walk behind you to cross.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,501 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Im not complaining at how jervis handle it! In fairness to them, they do quite well. Have had the odd time ive been waved on when there was oncoming traffic!
    I just think its strange that the gardai at the two 'posh' carparks!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

my office is near there the Jervis car park i often see mayhem at the entrance/exit to the car park, but feck it IMO if I as a pedestrian am on the path first I've right of way

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Tomas_V

antodeco wrote: »
    I just think its strange that the gardai at the two 'posh' carparks!
    Maybe the shops are donating some designer clothes to the homeless?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Cappo

Jervis also has another problem in that you drive on the “wrong” side of the road on the ramp both entering and leaving – so some help is needed at all times. I think that they handle it well.

Advertisement