Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refund when price has dropped since original purchase

Options
  • 18-12-2007 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭

I bought a dvd from xtra vision for 29.99 but my brother had bought the same dvd so there was no need for 2 in the house. I brought the dvd back sealed and upopened but the price had dropped to 22.99. All i wanted was the money put on a gift card. but they told me that i was only entitled to the 22.99 as the price went down and they had no way to make up the difference. which i am almost positive is bullsh!t. I wasn't in the humor to argue so decided to leave and come back to the manager. Just wondering if anybody knows does anything in consumer rights specifically refer to this or cover it so i know exactly what i'm talking about in case the manager says he can't give me the extra 7 euros. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

As far as I know, they don't have to accept the DVD at all. It's not faulty and it's fit for what it was sold for, you just didn't want it any more. Although, I'm open to correction on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

If the price had gone up by €7 would they give it to you?

That said, you are doing well as they are not obliged to give a refund for a perfectly good product. Take it, you can buy another DVD for €22.99 so what's the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭Ideo

unless the receipt says money back guaranteed or something they dont have to change it or offer to take it back and give you your money becaue there is nothing wrong with it, so i guess they are within their rights to offer the current selling price of the dvd if you wish to return it. ive seen this before in places, esp in the run up to Xmas and then trying to return it after Xmas for the full price with a view to repurchasing it at the Xams sale prices!

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭jim_bob

don't think your entitled to a redund , just becasue you change your mind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

First of all Xtra Vision were under no obligation to refund the dvd player, or even give you a gift card, though it is nice when shops do that. You dont say whether you have the receipt or if you presented it in the store. If you had no receipt, the store will only refund the store price on the day. If you had the receipt I cannot see why they insisted on refunding the price paid. But as I said, the store were under no obligation to give you anything for the DVD player, so consumer law doesnt really apply.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Before you go looking for legislation about prices you need to wonder why xtravision will take this back at all.

Is it damaged, scratched, badly labelled?
    If not, they can tell you to get lost so they are doing you a favour by giving you a refund at all.
    Having two in a house is not a valid reason

It's not what you want to hear but take the 22.99 and be grateful.

Now if this DVD was damaged I'd post legislation regarding refunds for goods on sale but it doesn't apply here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

You have no rights whatsoever. They are only taking it back as a goodwill gesture. Your rights revolve around fit for purpose and item being faulty. The item as you describe is perfect - you just dont want it now, so they dont have to do anything at all. The only chance you have is if you can get a friendly staff member who will give it to you. Try sweet talking someone. Failing that, be grateful for the 22 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

I bought a dvd from xtra vision for 29.99 but my brother had bought the same dvd so there was no need for 2 in the house. I brought the dvd back sealed and upopened but the price had dropped to 22.99. All i wanted was the money put on a gift card. but they told me that i was only entitled to the 22.99 as the price went down and they had no way to make up the difference. which i am almost positive is bullsh!t. I wasn't in the humor to argue so decided to leave and come back to the manager. Just wondering if anybody knows does anything in consumer rights specifically refer to this or cover it so i know exactly what i'm talking about in case the manager says he can't give me the extra 7 euros. Thanks in advance.

They lied. You are not entitled to anything unless they have a money back guarantee at which case you would be entitled the exact amount you paid with proof of purchase.

EDIT: According to their website:
    What is your returns policy?
    Please retain your receipt. We will be happy to provide refunds on Faulty Goods (complete with packaging) and returned with a receipt, within 28 days of purchase.
    Unwanted/change of mind items may be returned within 28 days of purchase (in an unused & saleable condition with receipt) and exchanged for:
    • Another item of the same value
      OR
    • Full credit in the form of gift vouchers. (Gift vouchers are valid for one year and can be used in any Xtra-Vision store, Consumer Electronics Centre or Xtra-Game store.
    This does not affect your statutory rights
    So according to their website you are entitled to another item at the original sale value or a gift voucher to the amount of the original sale value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

except for the bit that says

in an unused & saleable condition with receipt

If the OP doesnt have a receipt then hes stuffed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Suggestion

Where did your brother buy his ?

Return your DVD to that place instead , after all a DVD is a DVD.

I had a friend who got a pair of trousers from M&S , went to return them because they were damaged ( but had no reciept ) , but since then they had gone into a sale so M&S only offered sale price back. I think this is common/normal practice.

Saying that if you have the reciept , I would have thought they should honour the price you paid , of course as the guys say here they don't HAVE to take it back at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,201 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

You need to give more information in your original post.

You are not entitled to a refund or a credit note. It would appear that Xtravision may have some additional consumer benefit in which case I would suggest you drop all the bar room lawyer stuff and ask nicely for a credit note for your exchange (assuming you have a receipt and the DVD is not used) whilst showing them the extract from their website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Davidth88 wrote: »
    I had a friend who got a pair of trousers from M&S , went to return them because they were damaged ( but had no reciept ) , but since then they had gone into a sale so M&S only offered sale price back. I think this is common/normal practice.

If you buy something that's damaged then you're entitled to a replacement or refund to the value you paid, not the new sale value. However, you'll need to have a receipt or other proof of purchase to be entitled to this, as otherwise they don't know when you bought it (could be months old). It should not be common/normal practice to offer the sale price as refund on a damaged item, as this is not what you paid for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

I had the receipt. I had only bought the dvd 2 days before hand. The reason i went down was because it clearly states on their receipt that any unwanted items must be returned in sealed and bought condition and will be returned for store credit or item of same value.

That side of it was not my question as i know my rights on that. I was asking if they have the right to say i'm only getting the current price for it even though i paid more for it. Gesture of goodwill or not they have it printed on their receipt and therefore becomes part of the contract i bought into with the retailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,106 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I had the receipt. I had only bought the dvd 2 days before hand. The reason i went down was because it clearly states on their receipt that any unwanted items must be returned in sealed and bought condition and will be returned for store credit or item of same value.

That side of it was not my question as i know my rights on that. I was asking if they have the right to say i'm only getting the current price for it even though i paid more for it. Gesture of goodwill or not they have it printed on their receipt and therefore becomes part of the contract i bought into with the retailer.
    That being the case you should ask for the store manager and point this out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

Most retailers who offer a refund for change of mind will offer a refund for the price paid or the price pertaining to the product on the day returned, whichever is lower.

Dunnes, M&S, Debenhams, House of Fraser etc etc. operate this as do most UK & USA retailers as it is a standard refund practice in the industry and is in addition to your legal rights.

mcaul wrote: »
    Most retailers who offer a refund for change of mind will offer a refund for the price paid or the price pertaining to the product on the day returned, whichever is lower.

Dunnes, M&S, Debenhams, House of Fraser etc etc. operate this as do most UK & USA retailers as it is a standard refund practice in the industry and is in addition to your legal rights.
    In fairness they are probably correct to do this. If you bought the DVD for 29.99 and the price dropped to 22.99, what is stopping you looking for a refund for the 29.99 and then re-purchasing the item for the lower price thus gaining the 7 euro yourself. I can see where they are coming from and as their is no law on your side i.e. they are being good to the customer for even accepting it back, you have 2 options - either go with their policy or keep the dvd. You have no rights whatsoever in this case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

as it clearly states this on the reciept they are obliged to give you store credit to the original price not any later sale price.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    as it clearly states this on the reciept they are obliged to give you store credit to the original price not any later sale price.
    It is debatable as to what the value of the item is. At the moment the item is as valuable as what it can be sold for which is 22.99 and I think they are 100% correct for having this policy for the reason outlined above.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

foggy_lad wrote: »

They are not obliged at all. They say they will do so as a courtesy,but they are under no legal obligation to do so. Most times they will,but on occasion it is at their discretion to decide whether or not they will. If the item returned looks worn,or scratched etc they can say no. There are a few other examples like this,such as someone buying a dvd,watching it and bringing it back to swap for another,and again and again...I noticed some guy doing this and refused to swap or give store credit.

So it is not an obligation,even if it says they will on the reciept,there are exceptions at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

axer wrote: »
    EDIT: According to their website: So according to their website you are entitled to another item at the original sale value or a gift voucher to the amount of the original sale value.

It mentions nothing of the original sale value. The value it does mention has since gone down, therefore supporting the various other posts in the thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

There is a very simple solution to returning unwanted cds & dvds, though not really above board.

Simply go back to the shop and say this dvd will not play on my PC or dvd player, and that you want a cash refund. This is the same as saying a product is faulty, or unsuitable for the purpose it is sold. I am not talking about scratching it or anything. But you can demand a full refund for faulty goods, no need to take a replacement or voucher/alternative. In HMV I had them test the cd in their player in store.
    HMV, "works fine"
    ME "thats great, doesnt play in my PC, thats what I bought it for"
    HMV "but it is working fine"
    ME "are you going to give me the player? doesnt work in mine, must be all this new copy-protection stuff they put on them"

In truth I have had cds that did not play on my PC, others insisted on software installation, and no way I am letting some record company bug up my PC with unwanted crap like that.

I think Sonys recent protection system had to be removed as some old players rejected the disk. Pefectly feasible, and unprovable, the shop will sell it again, not like you really ripped them off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

rubadub wrote: »
    But you can demand a full refund for faulty goods, no need to take a replacement
    No. You. Can't.

Aside from encourage the OP to illegally obtain money by deception, your advice is inaccurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

well they gave back the extra 7 euros anyways. But the weird thing is that it was the last copy of the dvd and they resold it as it was still sealed. But that customer brought it back saying it was missing a disc. only the bonus disc was in it. So i never actually had the product i intended on buying in the first place. Either that or the other customer is pulling a fast one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

In HMV I had them test the cd in their player in store.
    HMV, "works fine"
    ME "are you going to give me the player? doesnt work in mine, must be all this new copy-protection stuff they put on them"

My response to your last question would have been "no,works fine here,must be something wrong with your pc,not my problem,so so refund you changing motherf..." And I have done so before,without actually insulting the customer of course :)

tvnutz wrote: »
    My response to your last question would have been "no,works fine here,must be something wrong with your pc,not my problem,so so refund you changing motherf..." And I have done so before,without actually insulting the customer of course :)
    exactly - it works two ways. People are always giving out about companies who don't follow consumer law properly - its the same with the idiots that expect to be treated above the law. I would f'uck them out of it in a nice way too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

HMV, "works fine"

HMV "hard luck, better make sure next time that you have a player that will play the DVD". "Next".

Advertisement