Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Standard network cable weatherproof?

Options
  • 18-12-2007 10:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭

I want to run cable from a dsl router in one building into another. Is standard network cable weatherproof/suitable for outdoor use?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭coldfeet

Just get some outdoor cat 5 cable. Normally black

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

If you can get STP cables (Shielded Twisted Pair) rather than the normal UTP (Unshielded Twisted Pair) this should give you the extra protection you need....

Just ask for a Cat 5 UTP cable with a johnny on it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Its cat 5-e u need............ as in external

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭baguio

Nice one. thanks for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Feelgood wrote: »

Just ask for a Cat 5 UTP cable with a johnny on it...

Lol while I find this reasonably funny in my drunk state try and keep it relatively serious. OP as pointed out shielded twisted pair for what you want. Is it at all possible that you can run the cable through a conduit of some kind? This would probably be a good approach i.e. through a conduit and burry it if possible.

• Advertisement

rmacm wrote: »
    Lol while I find this reasonably funny in my drunk state try and keep it relatively serious. OP as pointed out shielded twisted pair for what you want. Is it at all possible that you can run the cable through a conduit of some kind? This would probably be a good approach i.e. through a conduit and burry it if possible.
    Burying it is not an option - or conduit to be honest. Its relatively cheap for 50m stretch of it - so i suppose i will see how it holds up and replace if it becomes necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 penfold944

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Its cat 5-e u need............ as in external

Cat5e is actually Cat5 that is rated to 1Gb/s. Its nothing to do with it being external.

As previously suggested you need the black outdoor cable - shielded might be ok, but its more to cut down on interferance etc...

I've used normal Cat5e outdoors a few times - and it generally takes years to go wrong - but it can go wrong quite quickly too sometimes :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

baguio wrote: »
    I want to run cable from a dsl router in one building into another. Is standard network cable weatherproof/suitable for outdoor use?

Hi,

In my opinion Cat5e is not usable outdoors for several reasons. You need to consider several factors when running external cable. Now I dont know are you running a cat5e cable out to your shed so you can play online poker without the wife knowing, your connecting the backbone of a business lan or you just need to get a single computer in another builing for work, nor have you specified the length. So on that note my reply comes from being a network installer for business so my ways of doing things are over the top careful due to the fact that I can be sued if I install a Cat5e cable and it doesnt transmit 100MB...

Right standard cat5e is not usable for outdoor use due to:

1)The cable is not reinforced (shielding does not do this)
    2)The cable will suffer from UV damage and the standard sleeving on Cat5e is not rated for this
    3)If you pin it from one building to the other it will stretch in heat and code, this will damage the cable and the twisted pairs will seperate.
    4)Depending where you are it could be a target for lighting.

So what do you do? Well if you can describe the site, the use and the budget I can advise you as what I would do in your situation.

Eoghan O Flaherty
    Fusion Networks

FusionNet wrote: »
    Hi,

In my opinion Cat5e is not usable outdoors for several reasons. You need to consider several factors when running external cable. Now I dont know are you running a cat5e cable out to your shed so you can play online poker without the wife knowing, your connecting the backbone of a business lan or you just need to get a single computer in another builing for work, nor have you specified the length. So on that note my reply comes from being a network installer for business so my ways of doing things are over the top careful due to the fact that I can be sued if I install a Cat5e cable and it doesnt transmit 100MB...

Right standard cat5e is not usable for outdoor use due to:

1)The cable is not reinforced (shielding does not do this)
    2)The cable will suffer from UV damage and the standard sleeving on Cat5e is not rated for this
    3)If you pin it from one building to the other it will stretch in heat and code, this will damage the cable and the twisted pairs will seperate.
    4)Depending where you are it could be a target for lighting.

So what do you do? Well if you can describe the site, the use and the budget I can advise you as what I would do in your situation.

Eoghan O Flaherty
    Fusion Networks
    Thanks for the detailed post Eoghan. Basically, have DSL installed in a building beside relatives house. I want to run cable (50 metres) from Shed to house for domestic use (wireless is out of the question due to the thick old walls of the house. Useage on the business end involves the very basics also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 pcdoctor

hi, i have done it in my place for a gaming center 4 years ago and it is still doing fine, just make sure that you use some silicone when the cable meets the wall out side and in this allows for chaffing, have fun with it
    sean hogan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭lucozader

excellent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I'm using cat 5-e everyday outside for wireless broadband installs, rarely come across a problem except when it gets damaged by a customer & these routers are usually positioned on a chimney or high on a gable. Its completely fine. Just bury it in piping if its going across ground.

Its going out the galvanised corner of a building - then along the house rooftop - down a (disused) chimney and out a vent. I think the main problem areas will be the corner of the building -as some jaged edges - will put through a piece of hydrodare (is that what its called?) piping at this point. Other than that, need to have it secure enough that its not rubbing off the slates. Otherwise can't see any problems ( aside from a very bad dose of vertigo.....oh well, least i get to enjoy the view!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Its better to use the proper outdoor stuff, its not much more expensive. I've seen indoor cable used outdoors to split and the water to travel a good distance , the wires inside must act as a wick and capilliary action does the rest.

Thanks for all the input. Did the job yesterday. Don't think there will be any problems with it. Put it through a piece of tubing where it exits the metal clad corner of the building (so that it cant be scratched) and taped it heavily where it meets the chimney pot.

I suppose the only problem will be lightening..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

..[/QUOTE]
    I suppose the only problem will be lightening

That and if its hanging from one building to another just watch heat, the cable may sag in heat, this will effect data transfer but also just keep an eye it doesnt go too low to catch in anything, though this may not be an issue. Anyway glad things worked out..

FusionNet wrote: »
    Hi,

In my opinion Cat5e is not usable outdoors for several reasons. You need to consider several factors when running external cable. Now I dont know are you running a cat5e cable out to your shed so you can play online poker without the wife knowing, your connecting the backbone of a business lan or you just need to get a single computer in another builing for work, nor have you specified the length. So on that note my reply comes from being a network installer for business so my ways of doing things are over the top careful due to the fact that I can be sued if I install a Cat5e cable and it doesnt transmit 100MB
    Fusion Networks

How about the weatherproof gellfilled sheilded CAT5.

Have whats you opinion of that stuff? I have used it a few times myself.

Advertisement