Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advice Needed!!

Options
  • 18-12-2007 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭

booked my theory test for the 21st of jan, just wonderng when do you think i should start studying (or the latest i can leave it?)

im in 6th year and with mocks starting in early feb, cant be spending hours each day doing it!! just wondering when should i start and how much time a day do u recommend doing on it??

cheers :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭JMCD

Its been a while since I did it but I only looked over that book 2/3 nights prior to the test but was blessed with what came up was what I looked over.

Heard its changed a bit since then so my advice would be start asap.Imagine the feeling of failing and coming out thinking "If I had only studied" horrible feeling.Prepare to fail...and fail to prepare.So the sooner the better I suppose...

20 Mins a night before bed should be sufficent. Wouldnt think that you would need to get stuck into it for hours on end.

Best of luck with it in anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

SRFC90 wrote: »
    when do you think i should start studying
    Everyone is different, but in all fairness, the theory test is very easy and anyone with an interest in motoring should pass it with very little study.

I did most of my category tests prior to the introduction of the theory test. In later years, I decided to complete my licences by doing the bike test. I had to do the theory test (with all the newbies) for the first time but I finished it in 4 minutes with all questions correct AFAIK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

I looked over it the night before and got 40/40:cool::D
    This is the method of learning that works best with me. What works for you?
    As Wishbone said, if you've an interest in motoring and it comes naturally to you, you should pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

The theory test really is easy, it shouldn't require any "study" to the extent that you're probably used to with your exams coming up. Couple of nights before it and you'll be grand. It's all multiple choice and a lot of them are common sense. You'll be grand.

Alan,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SRFC90

hey chaps, still havn't done any study as of yet n its getting closer! its hard to find time with school, CAO deadlines and my mocks coming up soon.....so its pretty hectic!!

whats the best method of studying, just doing a load of tests or what!

any bit of help appreciated!!

cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Doing loads of the tests is what i did, and flicking through the book the night before got me 39/40. You've got tons of time left, i'm certain you'll be fine. Good luck with it

Doing loads of the tests is what i did, and flicking through the book the night before got me 39/40. You've got tons of time left, i'm certain you'll be fine. Good luck with it

thanks, ive got the cd - i think it's the up to date one, so just doin plenty of test and browsing the book?

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

thanks, ive got the cd - i think it's the up to date one, so just doin plenty of test and browsing the book?

Just wondering, where did you manage to source the new version of the CD? Best of luck in the test!

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 14,465 ✭✭✭✭cson

I found that test quite humourous. Some of the multiple choice answers to the questions are hilarious. Some of the answers.... well if someone picked certain ones I think they should just be percluded from driving altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

I too have booked my test for the 21st, and haven't done anything for it yet either.
    I have the cd which I intend on using before the test, but is it possible to pass the test on the cd alone? Irrespective of the piss easy common sense questions, are there any tricks to be aware of?

• Advertisement

Naikon wrote: »
    I too have booked my test for the 21st, and haven't done anything for it yet either.
    I have the cd which I intend on using before the test, but is it possible to pass the test on the cd alone? Irrespective of the piss easy common sense questions, are there any tricks to be aware of?
    95% of them are very straightforward.

There are a few where you can immediately dismiss 2 options but the other 2 may require a moment's thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

I spent an hour studying just doing tests using the cd. Was a while ago though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Grand so, thanks lads:)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,820 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Read the book on the train on the way in, sold the book to Chapters on the way back home. Its shockingly easy.

MYOB wrote: »
    sold the book to Chapters on the way back home
    I don't understand that mentality! Why not keep it for future reference? Would a medical student flog their copy of Gray's Anatomy to Chapters after passing their finals? I think not.

Learning to Drive is not about being able to pass the tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,820 ✭✭✭✭L1011

ROTR includes all the information without the inaccuracies (found two questions wrong in the book, emailed the RSA, got a confirmation that they knew about them...) and without having to check which answer has the star beside it... and I have a copy of the ROTR.

K, so i didn't sit the other test, re-scheduled it for this weekend but now i have another prob!!

This is gonna be a v busy week for me in school with French and Irish mock orals and my engineering project to be handed up on friday so i don't think i'll have much time to be studying for the theory:(

Re-shedule again or not??

I'd take it.....if you have a good memory all it is going to take is the evening before.
    I read through the hour before and passed no probs.

I don't see a shame in failing.

Moonbaby wrote: »
    I'd take it.....if you have a good memory all it is going to take is the evening before.
    I read through the hour before and passed no probs.

I don't see a shame in failing.

After all that work mate, i finish up for 2 weeks for easter...therefore, a potential night out on friday ie. the night before my test!!

I duno what to do!! Want to get it out of the way..but by passing it!!

I was told before that anyone can get about 30-34 without studying, t ya need to do some in order to pass it!!??

U reckon if i do a few tests on the computer the day before I'll be alright?:o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭NotMe

Have you not done any tests from the CD? It only takes 10 mins. If you can pass them then go for it.

If you leave it til the night before you're really chancing it. You could be lucky and get all easy questions like:
    What does this sign mean: (STOP)

or you could get trickier ones like:
    the minimum tread depth for tyres: (1.6mm)
    stopping distance of a car travelling 100km/h on a wet road: (70m)
    gross vehicle weight a category B holder can drive: (3500kg)

maybe you know this kind of stuff already but I wouldn't have known these without studying.

• Advertisement

U reckon if i do a few tests on the computer the day before I'll be alright?:o

It depends how easily you assimilate information.....I have a semi-photographic memory.

NotMe wrote: »
    Have you not done any tests from the CD? It only takes 10 mins. If you can pass them then go for it.

If you leave it til the night before you're really chancing it. You could be lucky and get all easy questions like:
    What does this sign mean: (STOP)

or you could get trickier ones like:
    the minimum tread depth for tyres: (1.6mm)
    stopping distance of a car travelling 100km/h on a wet road: (70m)
    gross vehicle weight a category B holder can drive: (3500kg)

maybe you know this kind of stuff already but I wouldn't have known these without studying.

tis safe to say i wouldn't know that without studying!!:eek: but like i said in previous posts, i am still awake typing up various projects at this time- a hectic week with no study done for my theory at all!!:( the test is going ahead too! gonna try do a few tests 2moro n a few sat morning while learning the answers i get wrong from the book:o
    Moonbaby wrote: »
    It depends how easily you assimilate information.....I have a semi-photographic memory.

yeah, if revised well enough i'm usually ok at spittng it back out!!! :Di'll do my best!

Advertisement