Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Italy

Options
  • 18-12-2007 10:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40

Howday,

Right... going to be moving to Italy in Feb for at least 2 years.... I'll be working for my current Irish employer over there. I'm already going about sorting out my taxation and health insurance cover etc. all good.

However, has anyone out there got advice about moving to Italy? Are there any other things I need to do?

For example, do I need to get a Carta Soggiorno? Do I need a separate Identity Card in addition to my Irish Passport? Do I need a residency permit etc? I've tried searching for stuff on the ole google, but most sites assume you are seeking residency and working for an Italian based company. My situation is slightly different...

I've emailed the embassy here in Dublin, but if anyone has any advice for me that'd be saweet and very much appreciated. Especially if you've moved to or lived in Italy before and have some tips that the average Joe/Goose like me wouldn't think of!

Cheers and merry xmas y'all

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 thegoose

Hey,

I am searching for information on relocation from Ireland to Italy.

Has anyone out there used any haulage services in Ireland? If so, which ones? How much did it cost etc?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

thegoose.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Off to the abroad forum with you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Pete4779

thegoose wrote: »
    Howday,

Right... going to be moving to Italy in Feb for at least 2 years.... I'll be working for my current Irish employer over there. I'm already going about sorting out my taxation and health insurance cover etc. all good.

However, has anyone out there got advice about moving to Italy? Are there any other things I need to do?

For example, do I need to get a Carta Soggiorno? Do I need a separate Identity Card in addition to my Irish Passport? Do I need a residency permit etc? I've tried searching for stuff on the ole google, but most sites assume you are seeking residency and working for an Italian based company. My situation is slightly different...

I've emailed the embassy here in Dublin, but if anyone has any advice for me that'd be saweet and very much appreciated. Especially if you've moved to or lived in Italy before and have some tips that the average Joe/Goose like me wouldn't think of!

Cheers and merry xmas y'all

I don't know specifically about the requirements nor have I ever lived in Italy...BUT, a good first step is to look for an English-speaking forum for American, British, etc. expats who are living there.

They will usually have all the info for visas, working requirements for families, spouses, etc., . I don't know of any specific one for English-speaking people in Italy, but there are loads for people in Germany, France, etc., so I assume it's the same. There is one for people moving to Ireland actually (in English!) talking about the visas, permits, etc., required by our government.

I just googled for Expat Italy and found this: http://expattalk.com/eve - it's not as big as some as I have seen, I am sure there are others. There is also http://www.expatsinitaly.com/ which is the above forum's main site.

Cheers for that Pete... will have a look at these.

Much Appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

I recently moved to Holland, the dealio is pretty much the same,

I used the crowd below for moving all our stuff over.

They were by far the cheapest and the stuff got here in one piece too!
    http://www.aachener-international.com/

Its the same across all the Eurozone countries, you register for a tax number and register with the Town Hall when possible.

The Residency thing is automatic, if your registered and reside there for 156 days of the year you get a residents permit. You can work away fine as an EU Citizen, your required by law to carry your passport with you at all times though as we do not have a valid form of ID and this is required by law.

• Advertisement

Cheers Craichoe... much obliged!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭Irish_Nomad

It's been a while but iirc you do need to apply for a permesso di soggiorno but there's no rush and it's automatic for an EU citizen. You also need a codice fiscale (your tax code) and you may as well find that out as soon as you can. You will probably be asked for it on lots of occasions (opening a bank account, signing a lease on an apartment, setting up a mobile phone account) although they should accept your passport number instead.

I used http://www.oman.ie when I moved and had no complaints.

You didn't say if you have spent any time abroad before so it's hard to know what other tips would be useful. For instance do you already know you need adaptors for all your electrical items ?

As least you won't have to worry about a different currency. If you are still going to be paid in Ireland you could survive without a local bank account and just use ATMs to get at your Irish funds.

If at all possible you should make an effort to learn Italian. It is a beautiful language and is definitely one of the easier ones to learn.

Finally you must understand that Italian customs and behaviours are very different to ours and I would bet that you will find it challenging and, at times, frustrating coming to terms with that. Don't take it personally.

Buona fortuna (good luck)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Jean05

Hi thegoose,

I live in Italy myself, and since I work with Erasmus students, I have to keep up with the immigration laws. This is the latest we've heard here:

"From the 11th of April 2007 European Citizens that wish to stay in Italy, or in another EU state, are no longer obliged to request a Carta di Soggiorno (Residential Permit). Only 3 months after the entry date to Italy is it necessary to register with the local Anagrafe office.

For stopovers under 3 months, no formalities apply.

For registration the applicant must present documentation that verifies his/her partaking in an activity of either a work-related, study or professional training nature.

If this is not available, the applicant must show proof of sufficient financial resources for the duration of the stay and also proof of existing medical insurance.

This table is an example of the required funds.

Income limit Number of Individuals
    €5,061.68 Only the applicant OR applicant + 1 dependant
    €10,123.36 The applicant + 2 dependants OR the applicant + 3 dependants
    €15,185.04 The applicant + 4 dependants or more."

So what it means is that at the end of 3 months you'll have to transfer your residency to Italy.

Also, since you won't be employed by an Italian company (and therefore not paying tax in Italy) you mightn't be able to sign up for their state healthcare system so you may have to bring personal medical insurance with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Jean05 wrote: »
    Hi thegoose,

I live in Italy myself, and since I work with Erasmus students, I have to keep up with the immigration laws. This is the latest we've heard here:

"From the 11th of April 2007 European Citizens that wish to stay in Italy, or in another EU state, are no longer obliged to request a Carta di Soggiorno (Residential Permit). Only 3 months after the entry date to Italy is it necessary to register with the local Anagrafe office.

For stopovers under 3 months, no formalities apply.

For registration the applicant must present documentation that verifies his/her partaking in an activity of either a work-related, study or professional training nature.

If this is not available, the applicant must show proof of sufficient financial resources for the duration of the stay and also proof of existing medical insurance.

This table is an example of the required funds.

Income limit Number of Individuals
    €5,061.68 Only the applicant OR applicant + 1 dependant
    €10,123.36 The applicant + 2 dependants OR the applicant + 3 dependants
    €15,185.04 The applicant + 4 dependants or more."

So what it means is that at the end of 3 months you'll have to transfer your residency to Italy.

Also, since you won't be employed by an Italian company (and therefore not paying tax in Italy) you mightn't be able to sign up for their state healthcare system so you may have to bring personal medical insurance with you.

No, i do not believe this is the case, 156(6 months) days in any EU state constitutes residency, unless you have ties at home which negates this altogether. You just register for Tax and thats it. Registering with the Local City hall is a seperate matter and is not mandatory, unless you want to avail of local services (government health insurance, residents parking permit etc) If your getting paid in Ireland then you have no need for this. I'm part of a group of almost 500 expats that have been living and working all over europe, some get paid in sterling and live in Holland.

The rules above apply to Non-EU Citizens and also ones in the EC but not in the EU (Norway and others)

All you need is your Irish Passport and your fine.

The Germans will even let you use your PPSN number.

If you have any issues with local regulations (Italians are notorious for trying to tie people up in paperwork and complicated rules, which really don't apply to you in the first place) you can contact Solvit

http://europa.eu/solvit/

Advertisement