Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you allowed lease .ie domains?

Options
  • 18-12-2007 11:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know if this is "allowed" by the IEDR?

Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Don't you effectively lease it every year from the IEDR!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

:)

Yeah, but say I own deadlydomain.ie and I know I can lease it for a few hundred per month...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Aah, you lease it out to someone else? I don't know!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

Legally, it could be on very shaky ground. I think that .ie domains are based on a licence type arrangement (I'd have to reread the legislation/regs) so you would be sub-licencing. While this actually happens, there is a risk that if you bring .ie into disrepute, then the domain could, theoretically, be revoked. You might also be acting as a proxy for someone not entitled to a .ie domain and that could also be grounds for revoking the domain.

BTW it is ComReg that is nominally in charge of .ie policy now.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

What jmcc said ...

If you do it and nobody finds out... well em .. nobody finds out ...

If it's anyway publicised they'd be entitled to pull the domain, as you'd be in breach of the registration rules

• Advertisement
Advertisement