Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby Names For My Twins Please!

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭folkswagen

Oisin
    Peadar
    Caoimhin

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

ninja900 wrote: »
    Sorry, but those names are terrible and I doubt any child would thank a parent for being called after a colour or a month. It's kinda like Man Friday out of Robinson Crusoe :eek:

'Bán' and 'Dubh' might be ok for a dog! assuming they were the appropriate colour!

Going for a 'trendy' name is always a mistake imho as it will sound horribly naff in a few years, Kylie! Jason! C'mere!!! :rolleyes:

Going for a fashionable name is a mistake too as too many other kids in school will have it, but you don't really want a 'unique' (i.e. made up) name either.

Go for a good solid traditional name that would be in the top 100 but not the top 5 :)

But if going for a less well known traditional Irish name, do take the trouble to make sure you spell it correctly on the birth cert :eek:

Finally, I really hate the trend of using surnames as first names.
    Right

Cian, Caoimhe, Niamh and Oisin

The most common Irish names going.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

adsgirl wrote: »
    Ruadhan is a great boys name.

how is this pronounced? Looks lovely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Crea wrote: »
    how is this pronounced? Looks lovely.

Roo-awn ( I think)
    Lovely name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Are you thinking of pronouncing Liadhan in the modern phonetic way or as lee-awn?

For a girl: Étáin, Niamh, Maeve, Fionnuala, Muireann?

For a boy: Liam, Dara, Setanta, Deimne (pronounced Devneh), Nevan, Éamonn, Aodh, Rory or Ruairidh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Siofra for a girl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭ciano14

i think you should go for Cian
    ...not like it's my name or anything *cough cough* *shifty eyes*:p
    but really it is a nice name i'm glad i was called it :D
    good luck with the twins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

But back on topic, I went to school with a girl called Gormlaith (pron. Gorm-la), think it translates as Barbara. I've never met anyone else with that name. Or Eavan or Eithne are not too common. Or maybe Fintan for a boy.

I knew a girl in school who was called Bairbre (pronounced Byre-Bra). That was Barbara apparently.
    Fintan's a terrible name, unless he's called after a relative.

I agree with you about the silly names though. Taking the celebrity trend of calling children by a common noun such as "Apple" or "Peaches" or something and being "cool" by translating a common word into Irish is just ridiculous. You wouldn't name a child "Water" so why would anyone think "Uisce" was any better?

There are already names out there if people wanted to name their child after a month: Augusta/Augustus, April, May, June, Nollaig, Carol, Holly, Caroline, etc.

There have been some lovely names suggested by other posters. I'd like to add Fergus for a boy and Blathnaid (fada on the first a which my keyboard is refusing to do) for a girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Rogueish

Senan for a boy.

Good luck with the twins

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭oh well

make sure the names go with the surname, and all forms of shortened/nicknames. also, see the initials are suited to each other. know a friend who called daughter name beginning with V. Surname was Dunphy. nice initials eh .... VD.

• Advertisement
Advertisement