Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fishing hotspots/info

Options
  • 18-12-2007 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭

Im amazed at how few people post in this fourm, after all, fishing IS deemed the second most popular sport in Ireland only after football, why do you think this is???
    Well, im a member of more than one fishing only fourms, Irish ones and in the last couple of years post and thread counts have dropped dramaticly.
    people are still fishing, just not so quick to share information on baits, rigs, coctails, and in particular, venues.
    I have asked other fourm members why they dont post any more and most of them replied "because its too hard to get a spot to yourself theese days".
    I cant remember the last time i was fishing and didnt encounter somone else, and you know who im talking about, im just not allowed say it:rolleyes:
    Dont get me wrong, i certainly dont mind sharing the bank with others, its just when you return to that same venue some weeks later, there stands the lad/s, as if he never moved from the spot, bank worn to bare muck, fire lit, and a bag of fish for the dinner,
    but sure what do i know........ What do you know??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

You ring the Fishery Board, or your local water keepers, as it is illegal to kill "a bag of fish". Said individuals get their gear confiscated and also fined on the spot. They won't do it again.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Im amazed at how few people post in this fourm, after all, fishing IS deemed the second most popular sport in Ireland only after football, why do you think this is??? ...

The experienced anglers are happy to gossip about fishing, but the beginners are hungry for free knowledge.
    Unfortunately we have learned from experience what happens when you give out a good spot to a person who talks too much...
    As long as there is unlimited idiots fishing for limited fish it will always be so ... :p

So talk about places is limited to what is already publicly known.
    But talk about tackle, techniques and so on can generate some very interesting threads on the forum. That is what fishing forums are good for IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

Im amazed at how few people post in this fourm, after all, fishing IS deemed the second most popular sport in Ireland only after football, why do you think this is???
    Where did you get that statistic? It is true that football is the most popular sport in Ireland, but I wouldn't expect angling to be anywhere near that. A load of my friends play hurling, a load of them play Gaelic football, a bunch of them play rugby, a few of them play golf, basketball, badminton... even hockey. Then there's horse racing, tennis, motorsports, cycling, swimming, athletics - even the likes of snooker, darts, boxing, and thai boxing would probably rate higher than fishing in terms of popularity as a sport. Aside from myself, nobody I know goes fishing regularly. I don't know anyone who would watch fishing on the TV, or buy a fishing magazine.

In West Cork, I rarely met other anglers, and when I did they were usually from England. Closer to Cork City, fishing is a bigger part of the culture, and maybe it is like that up in Dublin too, but even at that I can't imagine how anyone could call it the second most popular sport in Ireland.

When you specify it as "participant sport" as opposed to "spectator sport" that cuts the numbers down a lot for those other activities, but not for angling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

coolwings wrote: »
    When you specify it as "participant sport" as opposed to "spectator sport" that cuts the numbers down a lot for those other activities, but not for angling.

couldnt have said it better

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭adonis

so are u looking for good spots to fish or not?
    what do u fish for?
    there are loads of untouched lakes out there worth fishing...we stumbled across one last year in leitrim and had 3 specimen tench out of it..a total of 15 tench over 4lb between two of us with about 4 break offs too..
    we fished it completly by accident too..

coolwings wrote: »

True but nowhere near enough to make it the second most popular sport in Ireland. All those other sports I listed - I have friends who actively play them both casually and competitively. When I was at school, in my entirely secondary school, there wasn't one other person who used to go fishing regularly. Maybe at the height of the summer, a few people would crack out the trusty string of feathers to pluck a few mackerel out of the sea because it was basically free food. Compare that to England where your average Joe is mad about fishing and can tell you the difference between dab and plaice.

ilkillya, i didnt just pluck that figure out of my head. ITS A FACT

Illkillya wrote: »
    .... When I was at school, in my entirely secondary school, there wasn't one other person who used to go fishing regularly.....
    Remember that a school is usually a place which promotes other games usually chosen to develop team spirit for educational purposes. So football (in various kinds) is very popular in schools, for one example.

However angling is a sport that schools are generally not involved in, in that it develops individualistic skills (not on the curriculum).

Also as track and field players get older they give up participation, and become spectators. But all ages can go fishing, and this makes a big difference.

Angling is probably 12 - 15% of the population, based on 4.2 million in Ireland that's about a half a million anglers give or take a couple of thousand.

ilkillya, i didnt just pluck that figure out of my head. ITS A FACT

Give me a source or else you plucked that figure out of your head.
    coolwings wrote:
    Remember that a school is usually a place which promotes other games usually chosen to develop team spirit for educational purposes. So football (in various kinds) is very popular in schools, for one example.

However angling is a sport that schools are generally not involved in, in that it develops individualistic skills (not on the curriculum).

Also as track and field players get older they give up participation, and become spectators. But all ages can go fishing, and this makes a big difference.

Angling is probably 12 - 15% of the population, based on 4.2 million in Ireland that's about a half a million anglers give or take a couple of thousand.
    Regardless of sports that are on the curriculum or not, regardless of the age group you look at, by any benchmark you choose to use, I still can't see how you can claim that angling is the 2nd most popular sport in Ireland.

Even assuming 15% of the population are anglers (I would dispute that figure based on my own experience, but I'll accept it for the sake of argument) most of those are pretty casual anglers - people who pluck a few mackerel out of the sea a few times a year, or bring the youngfella down to the lake. Compare that to the number of guys who occasionally kick a football around in the back garden. And unless you have a twisted definition for "popularity" then the huge spectator element other sports have has got to count in their favour too.

• Advertisement

so anyone know any good pike spots around dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭wayne riley

:confused:
    You ring the Fishery Board, or your local water keepers, as it is illegal to kill "a bag of fish". Said individuals get their gear confiscated and also fined on the spot. They won't do it again.
    :eek:

none of the above would do any good, fines are not big enough 2 dether them, the fishing equiment if any is cheap ass gear, we need stronger penaltis of bigger fines and even posability of prison for repeat affenders.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

:confused::eek:
    none of the above would do any good, fines are not big enough 2 dether them, the fishing equiment if any is cheap ass gear, we need stronger penaltis of bigger fines and even posability of prison for repeat affenders.

It doesn't matter how cheap the gear is, most will have €100 or so of gear (as they'll have a few lidl kits plus other gear) to replace plus a fine of at least €60, next time they'll buy their fish. The bigger offenders have got their boats taken plus fines of €1000+.

There needs to be documented proof that there is a problem, so if you are not willing to report the offences you see, then you really are not helping the situation, you're part of the problem.

still no hotspots?

anyone ever fish the barrow/the suck?

i do a lot of fishing on the barrow in carlow, i`d rate it as good. theres trout pike and coarse fishing, river prob running a bit 2 fast rite now but the canal dat runs along side also holds good pike and coarse fishing.

2 butcherofnog, ive reported a load of ppl, most ppl use nets. i was fishing between carlow and athy. 3 ppl walked past me no rods or gear. 30mins later 1 was carring a big sack of fish over he`s shoulder. i made phone call and nothing happened.

another time fishing in howth, 7 chinese ppl had 15ltr bucket full with water and fish bout 3 inches long, rang the sea fisheries board as i had the car reg and photos of them and there undersize fish, i rang 3 or 4 times and the man in charge wasnt there, they took my number and said he`d ring me back which he never did. where do u go from there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

you can ring the police as far as im aware

whereabouts on the barrow do you fish
    im doing a piking session next sunday and im looking for possible destinations...i have fished the barrow canal a good few times outside athy without much success (8lb pike being the biggest)

adonis wrote: »

im doing a piking session next sunday and im looking for possible destinations...i have fished the barrow canal a good few times outside athy without much success (8lb pike being the biggest)

I saw a 32lb pike caught at Athy, this Also holds the River pike record which was for years the overall record at over 42lbs.
    A while since i fished there and im sure our non native havnt done the fish stocks any favorus

im sure there are big ones in it
    just cant seem to locate them...i did see a load of lads catching nice perch on spinners before though,,

im sure there are big ones in it
    just cant seem to locate them...i did see a load of lads catching nice perch on spinners before though,,

the barrow at Athy holds almost all specimen perch entries and has held the record for many years.

anywhere between athy and carlow, jus park the da and walk the bank, dont go dis wkend 2 dangerous wit all da rain. do some sea fishing as da fish shud be un da hunt after da gale force winds, i`m headin 2 wicklow 2moro for cod whiting ray or antin dat bites wit a bit of luck!!!!!!!!!!:):):):):):)

• Advertisement

Sea fishing:rolleyes:
    The borrow will fish real well for BIG perch after a flood as the river starts to drop. Big jucy lobworm with a couple of BBs and a size 10 or 12 hook, thats all.
    O yeah Wane, will you read the charter about "txt spk" does me ed in;)

were abouts would you go fishing for big perch, love perch fishing and wouldnt mind few pointers. take it you dont like sea fishing:confused::confused::confused:
    fish some small lakes around swords for perch but nothing bigger than a pound:(:(:(:(
    will be fishing the barrow on sat or sun, any help would be greatfully accepted,
    is that ok for you, no "txt spk" just for your ead

Cheers Wayne:)
    I presume you refere to "da mill" in swords?, im from swords myslef.
    i used to get some decent perch from there on live minnow.
    mostly fish rivers for big perch, Barrow,Boyne,Liffy holds some good perch.
    Normaly fish a big worm but it your being tormented by small fish switch to a live or dead minnow or if the water clarity is good a small lure.
    Best method is after a flood or when the water is high but not in flood using the method i mentioned above.

bite my banger
    yes "da mill" nothing left there any more, forienors fished it all out 2yrs ago, they use 2 have bbq`s with what they caught. the resovoir in rivermead is good 4 perch still, some nice trout in the river that flows beside it 2, have you a exact place 4 me 2 catch good size perch on barrow or liffey, your help much needed. pls did you ever fish resovoir in lexlip

wayne:):):):)

bite my banger
    yes "da mill" nothing left there any more, forienors fished it all out 2yrs ago, they use 2 have bbq`s with what they caught. the resovoir in rivermead is good 4 perch still, some nice trout in the river that flows beside it 2, have you a exact place 4 me 2 catch good size perch on barrow or liffey, your help much needed. pls did you ever fish resovoir in lexlip

wayne:):):):)

Yea, fished the Lexlip res alot years ago but the same story as the Mill.
    As for exat spots, anywhere where thers a bit of a pool with some features, mostly upstream of Athy. On the liffey, Island Bridge holds some good perch also Lucan, above the wier. It can somtimes be hit and miss with perch but more hits, just look for the right conditions

thanks, goin 2 try island bridge 2moro, were u park?? war memorial??:cool:

dunno, i used to cycle when i lived with my dad in Blanch:D
    let us know how you get on

howdy bite my banger, tried there yesterday with no luck, going 2 try carlow on sat, let you no how i get on. have you been out lately??? caught anything??? tryed da mill on way home 4 a laugh. should have came straight home, as waste of time
    wayne.

howdy bite my banger, tried there yesterday with no luck, going 2 try carlow on sat, let you no how i get on. have you been out lately??? caught anything??? tryed da mill on way home 4 a laugh. should have came straight home, as waste of time
    wayne.

havnt been out perch fishing in a few months now, id say Carlow is your best bet. the Mill has real potential to hold massive perch if it was left alone. i introduced 7 tench into it about 5 years ago and a friend of mine put 3 carp in aswell, wonder if any of them are still there or if they bred? Water level has dropped dramaticly since then
    Where did you try and what methods were you using?

• Advertisement

i tried beside car park in war memorial at weir and little futher up river, tried big garden worms on a float, water very brown. as 4 da mill, water very high, nearly over flowing. the next time ur going perch fishing let us no, and i`ll tag along if you dont mind!!! you can give us a few pointers. i`m going 2 try 4 a monster pike on sat carlow, i`ll let you no how i get on.
    wayne.:):):):)

Advertisement