Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IE registration question

Options
  • 18-12-2007 11:20pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭

does anyone know if you can pre-register your interest in a .ie domain name?

theres a domain currently pending deletion in the next 14 days that i've been interested in for a side project and i'd like to register it once expired.

but obviously to make sure someone else doesn't get their hands on it I'd like to register it. am with hosting 365 but dont know / think they do that

anyone care to clarify for me if the IEDR do this cos I can't find anything on their site relating to it either.

thanks guys

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

No, you can't.

But I do suggest you go get the business name right now so if someone else attempts to register it at the same time as you, you will have first call.

That is how I got sex.ie. I had the business name, and four others tried to get it the same day as me. As I had the business name, I had the most rights to it, so I got it...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

cheers dublindude :) as for the business name I have that registed already ;)

oh by the way, probably a stupid question but when the IEDR website says pending deletion, on the 14th day does it become unlocked for registration or is the 15th day?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

If its boards.ie I will go halves with you??.....bout time someone deleted that poxy yoke...:rolleyes:

I don't think so to be honest, even though its pending deletion its quite possibly like that because the owner hasn't paid their annual registration fee so it goes to a delete/pend state and I think after that the IEDR will hold onto it for a couple of months before it can be re-registered, don't think it would be available straight away...

There is a way you can predict the exact day it'll become available (I did that before - I just can't remember how I did it.)

I'm sure blacknight will be along any moment to tell us :)

cheers again dublindude

stands still , waits and whistles :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

miju wrote: »
    cheers again dublindude

stands still , waits and whistles :)
    IE domains don't have a "pending deletion" status

The closest they have is "suspended"

As for the rest.....

You can get a list of deleted domains without any issue, but it won't show the most recently deleted ones

Of course if you have access to a dataset that you can check against you'll become aware of domains as they delete

And yes - that was intentionally vague ...

jmcc might explain further

yeah the domain says suspended on IEDR was just thinking of the way it usually appears on my godaddy account :)

cheers for the "vague" info :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

Miju,
    You can't preregister about-to-expire domains, but the advice to get the business name is good.
    After, the domain expires, there is a 14 day period of grace for the previous owner to re-register (although the domain is not active), after which it becomes available for re-registration. Bear in mind that even after this point, if the original owner or a third party feels they have a stronger claim than you on the domain, they can challenge you for it to the IEDR.
    Hope this helps,
    Donal

ref: IEDR Suspension/Deletion Policy, available at http://www.domainregistry.ie/SuspDel.php

cheers Donny5 I got that info from the IEDR site already and was more wondering about the next step. I also (probably naively) assumed the first come, first served basis is adhered to regardless if the original owner (squatter) comes looking for it back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Tá Mé Gaeilge

dublindude wrote: »
    No, you can't.

That is how I got sex.ie. I had the business name, and four others tried to get it the same day as me. As I had the business name, I had the most rights to it, so I got it...

It's not very sexy is it!!!!! haha. Just out of interest does it get much hits?

• Advertisement

miju wrote: »
    cheers Donny5 I got that info from the IEDR site already and was more wondering about the next step. I also (probably naively) assumed the first come, first served basis is adhered to regardless if the original owner (squatter) comes looking for it back

Sorry for stating easy-to-find information, but sometimes people just ask in forums before doing any research at all. (No offense). With the IEDR, it is really first-come, first-served, as long as you have a claim to the domain. If I manage to register woodies.ie because I sell dildos, the *other* Woodies can come along and probably get it re-assigned, you know.

That said, it you have a good connection (esp. a business name), the chances of getting a domain are quite good. The longer you have, the better you're claim is, too. I've heard, informally, that parties, even with good claims, who allow domains to fall out-of-registration will not have a good time trying to reclaim that domain from someone else who has a claim, even if weaker in nature.

I apologise for the convoluted nature of that sentence, 2am is not my friend!

Donny5 wrote: »
    Sorry for stating easy-to-find information, but sometimes people just ask in forums before doing any research at all. (No offense).

perfectly understandable , none taken :) was just looking for a bit more low down info than whats on the IEDR site
    That said, it you have a good connection (esp. a business name), the chances of getting a domain are quite good. The longer you have, the better you're claim is, too. I've heard, informally, that parties, even with good claims, who allow domains to fall out-of-registration will not have a good time trying to reclaim that domain from someone else who has a claim, even if weaker in nature.

I'm not really worried about claim to the domain as the current owner is definitely just squatting (something I thought the IEDR was not supposed to allow happen :mad: ) and I have a very valid claim to it business name wise.

Bear in mind that even after this point, if the original owner or a third party feels they have a stronger claim than you on the domain, they can challenge you for it to the IEDR.

I'm not actually sure if this is true. I registered a domain which (I'm assuming by the original owners subsequent letters) had just expired.

The original owner contacted the IEDR but they said go talk to a solicitor.

So he did. He turned up on my door threatening to kick my head in and sent really aggressive solicitors letters.

The spa could have just asked for it back and I would have given it to him.

The law he was quoting was "passing off". Basically you are passing yourself off as his business, meanwhile damaging his goodwill. He would have to prove this in court, and it's very difficult to do so.

The domain wasn't worth much to me so I gave it back to him.

The IEDR didn't get involved at any stage.

It's not very sexy is it!!!!! haha. Just out of interest does it get much hits?

:)

Nothing crazy. About 10k (unique visitors) per month.

Dublindude,
    I stand corrected. It was too early in the morning for me.
    A party can only challenge your ownership of a domain if you wrongfully obtained the name. Otherwise, once issued, the IEDR cannot retake it arbitrarily.
    (Also, it was very kind of you to give that guy/girl his/her domain back - I wouldn't have!)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

The IEDR do not aribitrate the disputes regarding ownership. They can and will take action if the registration is an abuse of the rules

For example, if you register a .ie domain and then list it for sale on sedo they are entitled to pull the registration

They validate the claim to the name on registration

They use WIPO for disputes, so you can whine at the IEDR all day, but they won't be able to help you directly - as mentioned they might point you at a solicitor or at their dispute policy (a solicitor's letter is a LOT cheaper!)

Advertisement