Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

University Challenge

• 18-12-2007 11:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭

Anyone hear Iron Maiden being played on University Challenge the other week? They played the Trooper and asked what war it referred to. The students didn't know, can't say I would've even known the answer myself. Don't know how relevant that is but I thought it was fun to see.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭neGev

The Crimean War. As far as I remember, it's about the Charge of the Light Brigade. Interesting to hear it cropped up on UC though.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Leonid

neGev wrote: »
    The Crimean War. As far as I remember, it's about the Charge of the Light Brigade. Interesting to hear it cropped up on UC though.

yup

the clue is with all the talk of russians and cannons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Geranium wrote: »
    Anyone hear Iron Maiden being played on University Challenge the other week? They played the Trooper and asked what war it referred to. The students didn't know, can't say I would've even known the answer myself. Don't know how relevant that is but I thought it was fun to see.

This just begs the question, how can you watch that show?? I can't stand it myself and I don't think I know anyone that can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

This just begs the question, how can you watch that show?? I can't stand it myself and I don't think I know anyone that can.

I imagine like most viewers they sit down, keep their eyes open and focused on the screen. It's a quiz show with decent questions, it's hardly something that needs a reason for it to exist/be watched.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

Sure you're not thinking of Mastermind? That sucks - University Challenge rules particularly when some redbrick walks all over a bunch of Oxbridge toffs

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭Geranium

I only get about three questions right in an episode, but it's worth watching just to see Jeremy Paxman scoffing at the student's ignorance. I think that's the main appeal. And some of the questions are interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

You always learn something new. Plus there's the once a year "Hey, that's rock music they're playing!" moment. I remember they had a Jimi Hendrix round where they had to name the effect he was using on the guitar. They only got wah. Silly billies.

Advertisement