Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tile roofing nail question

Options
  • 18-12-2007 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭

I'm roofing my shed at the minute. It has a 30 degree pitch, 3m from eave up to the ridge, 8m long, just over 5m wide, 280 tiles each side.

The tiles are roadstone's spanish roll and they recommend on their tech data sheet that I nail the bottom course. I havent. Its only a shed. The house tiles have sat there 25 years now and never even had holes in them for nails, unlike the new ones.

Also I seem to have placed my facia board a few mils to low, despite measuring twice.

Meself and the friend who are doing this job are just lorry drivers and never roofed before but we've made a fair go of it, with just one side left to tile now.

Question is, do roofers bother with nails when it comes to a shed, and will those few mils of a low facia matter a dam? I'm doubting both...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭JMSE

JMSE, I nailed the bottom course of tiles on both sides of my roof. I used the 75mm aluminium ones roadstone supply. Theyre so light that you cant get some of them into the damn lats without a punch to concentrate the force of the hammer directly into the nailhead. Cant see how they would hold anything on the roof in a storm but at least they are there. Now for the ridgetiles, holy schmoly how do you get those troughs in the rooftile to hold any mortar for 10 seconds?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 roofer

good practise says nail every second course. a few mil in the facia board wont matter. if you were paying someone to do it i would demand perfection.

Advertisement