Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband, looking for advice??

Options
  • 19-12-2007 1:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭

Just received email from eircom to let me know that my phone lines are now suitable and that I can now get broadband, alas goodbye to my 56k . . . . . wey hey! hello broadband. As broadband wasn't available to me before now there was no reason for me to even look at the "fabulous" bundles being offerd by suppliers. The thing is there seems to be alot of 'em about so just looking for some advice where to go? This would be really appreciated and I would be very grateful for any advice.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

ask here where the experts are . I would trend towards BT myself .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Musha

Yep, BT I have use them for 18mth without any problems (except when farmer cut the line while hedging :mad:)
    anyway about €47 per month for
    Line rental
    BB
    all Irish and UK land line calls
    factor in mobiles and the bill is usually
    €120 for two months cheap compared to Eircom

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭gip

Thanks for advice people, yeah seems BT is the winner after doing a little bit of research, once again thanks . . . . . can't wait to get connected, the big man in the red and white suit has come early this year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

gip wrote: »
    Thanks for advice people, yeah seems BT is the winner after doing a little bit of research, once again thanks . . . . . can't wait to get connected, the big man in the red and white suit has come early this year!

You missed bits like this and this then?

BT have zero customer service and support. They over charge at every given opportunity and never accept responsibility for any of their fuck ups. I wouldn't use them, or recommend them, any more in a blind fit. That's some of the reasons I'm moving to Smart, almost there now.

If you can't get Magnet or Smart, consider IBB DSL or maybe Digiweb DSL. Failing them, you're probably best off with eircom, as bad a prospect as that might sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Smart if you can get them, been with them 4 years at two addresses and no problem, d/l is always 4Mb whenever I check it. Their customer admin is a bit hit and miss but their tech forums generally give a very quick response.

• Advertisement

Ah people really grateful for advice, was going to BT but now after reading all negative posts it doesn't seem like this is a good idea, with eircom at the moment on dial up and now that I can receive broadband it seemed like BT were far more competitive on price? "you get what you pay for" seems to be the message? Thanks again for all the advice and will welcome any more thoughts on this!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Broadband.

dudara

jor el wrote: »
    You missed bits like this and this then?

BT have zero customer service and support. They over charge at every given opportunity and never accept responsibility for any of their fuck ups. I wouldn't use them, or recommend them, any more in a blind fit. That's some of the reasons I'm moving to Smart, almost there now.

If you can't get Magnet or Smart, consider IBB DSL or maybe Digiweb DSL. Failing them, you're probably best off with eircom, as bad a prospect as that might sound.

Thanks to all for the advice and information, a lot of suppliers that were mentioned couldn't supply BB to me so I've decided to go to eircom, I must say when speaking to any of their agents, (reps,sales people,technicians,whatever) over the phone they were very helpful and rang me back when they said they would. So when I'm connected I will post to let you know how all is.
    Once again thank you for all the help

• Registered Users Posts: 41 gashead

Musha wrote: »
    Yep, BT I have use them for 18mth without any problems (except when farmer cut the line while hedging :mad:)
    anyway about €47 per month for
    Line rental
    BB
    all Irish and UK land line calls
    factor in mobiles and the bill is usually
    €120 for two months cheap compared to Eircom

Musha

Have you checked your latest bill yet. I have just got mine and it has increased by 75 euro plus VAT. When I asked why, I was told that they had forgotten to charge me for line rental for the last 22 months and so were doing so from now on. I told them that my package was a bundle and included line rental but they refuted it.

gashead

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Delorian

That's ridiculous gashead, keep hounding them and they should eventually give in if you signed up to a bundle. However, you'll prolly be months waiting to get your money back if they've already taken it.

gip, Perlico are another option you may want to consider. Similar in price to BT and often doing decent offers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement