Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VRT/Tax question. Is this possible?

Options
  • 19-12-2007 7:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭

I've imported a car from the U.K. on Sunday, and haven't been in yet to pay VRT on it. I'll make up some excuse for not being in on Monday. Anyway, I've reconsidered my purchase. My question is this. If I decide to sell it after paying the VRT, can I sell it? The revenue site says that the registration cert is only sent out when you apply for road tax. If I sell it before it's tested or taxed, what happens when the next owner wants to test or tax it? Do I pass on the verification of me paying the VRT and can they use this? I'm confused:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,988 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

il gatto wrote: »
    I've imported a car from the U.K. on Sunday, and haven't been in yet to pay VRT on it. I'll make up some excuse for not being in on Monday. Anyway, I've reconsidered my purchase. My question is this. If I decide to sell it after paying the VRT, can I sell it? The revenue site says that the registration cert is only sent out when you apply for road tax. If I sell it before it's tested or taxed, what happens when the next owner wants to test or tax it? Do I pass on the verification of me paying the VRT and can they use this? I'm confused:confused:

Yes once you pay the VRT you can sell it. New cars can be taxed online with the last six digits of the VIN, I'm assuming that a UK import will be classed as a new car for tax purposes. They can change the postal address to get the reg cert sent to them. They may have to call out to you then to get the change of owner form signed or use another method that was already mentioned as being illegal on an earlier thread about transfering ownership:D

I don't think anyone would buy a UK reg car without the revenue documents to prove that VRT has been paid and also any other relevant documents for the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

I don't think anyone would give me cash on the condition of them coming back to get the transfer signed afetr they'd tested and taxed it. I might be looking at doing all that myself. Damnit:(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

If the car's reasonably fresh you would be mad not to. VRT it, test it, tax it and you will get it true value if it doesn't have a lot wrong with it.

Advertisement