Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RPG Recomendations ?

• 19-12-2007 10:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭

Hey, Just got a 360 there recently enough. Looking for a recomendation for any decent RPG that should keep me amused over christmas, only played Elder Scrolls so far and loved that (first introduction to the morrowind games) so somethng along those lines would be good. Keep in mind will have to be bought in a bricks & mortar at this stage.

Thanks in Advance.

Edit: Forgot to mention, no net connection for the console if that makes a difference to influencing choices.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 NewBalance

Mass Effect - I've played 8 hours of it so far and its pretty good.

Combat takes a bit of getting used to and some of the in-game menus are a little badly designed but otherwise very good.

Elder Scrolls:Oblivion is the daddy though so far...

Check out: http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/index.html?tag=nav-top;xbox360&navclk=x360

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭writetojd

Blue dragon is a good rpg, brought to you by the team that did the final fantasy. (Not the awful ffx13 or ffx-2)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

1) Mass Effect
    2) Mass Effect
    and, er...
    3) Mass Effect

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I agree. Mass Effect all the way. Blue Dragon is (apparently) a very good, old-school rpg. Also, Lost Odessey is coming out soon(ish), which looks pretty damn amazing, and is made by the real Final Fantasy creators, not the guys making FF nowadays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Branoic wrote: »
    1) Mass Effect
    2) Mass Effect
    and, er...
    3) Mass Effect

Ab-so-fucking-lutely

There's another thread on the board where someone mentions they have it for €45 in Game!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

I had it in my head that mass effect was a FPS for some reason :confused:, was considering Blue Dragon alright.

EDIT: Just reading up on it, it does actually look pretty good. How many hours playing in total would you estimate for it ? Replay value ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

Eternal Sonata. Great combat system and gets my vote for best looking game on the 360. Gorgeous.

c - 13 wrote: »
    EDIT: Just reading up on it, it does actually look pretty good. How many hours playing in total would you estimate for it ? Replay value ?

For Mass Effect? On average about 25 hours if you do side quests, can be less though if you do less side quests or play faster. I think it has lots of replayability, playing different classes or doing things differently. My first playthrough I was full Paragon, ie "good". Second playthrough full Renegade, ie "bad" (shooting and punching people I didn't like!). I had a quick (ish) third play through too which was a bit of a mix of both (and a different class). The game has a Newgame+ option so you can replay it again with an already levelled character.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

If your into turn based jrpgs then Blue Dragon and Eternal Sonata.
    If your into american rpgs then Mass Effect which imo is the best game this year.
    Next year Lost Odyssey and Fallout 3 to look forward to so you really are spoiled for choice.

c - 13 wrote: »
    I had it in my head that mass effect was a FPS for some reason :confused:, was considering Blue Dragon alright.

The main quest can be completed in about 6 - 8 hours, but my total playtime with the side quests and exploring was 38 hours.

Huge replayability value - I know numerous people on this board who started their second play-through as soon as their first one ended, myself included.

• Advertisement

If you do want to get it in Game (€45), you'd probably have to be quick
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=54691342&postcount=15

Okay, i'm seriously leaning towards mass effect now. If I can get it for that price in game I might even pick up Blue Dragon with it (or Overlord, is that supposed to be any good?). Good to hear about its longetivity ! Does it have a multiplayer element of just online ? Thanks for all the help here too guys, all very much appreciated ! :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,808 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Eternal Sonata is a much better game than Blue Dragon. I'd get that first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭RedXIII

Morrowind is the greatest game of all time so if your a morrowind nut youll be dissapointed... dont waste your time with oblivion :P

Downloaded the demo for Blue Dragon found it boring, but maybe its just because your not customizing your character etc as you would do if you started a new game

If you like StarWars KOTOR , you'll love Mass effect

Don't buy TwoWorlds

Played a trial version of Phantasy Star Online, and all i saw was around 30 people spamming constituently (very annoying) and trying to chat up any girls (who were probably all guys)

Saw a nice looking RPG in GAME yesterday, might've been out for a while... must find out the name, probably the one mentioned above

Hope thats any help to you dude

Red

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Branoic wrote: »
    1) Mass Effect
    2) Mass Effect
    and, er...
    3) Mass Effect

I'm in agreement with his top 3, but would also like to add to that list.
    4) Mass Effect
    5) Mass Effect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭conjamuk

RedXIII wrote: »
    Morrowind is the greatest game of all time so if your a morrowind nut youll be dissapointed... dont waste your time with oblivion :P

Downloaded the demo for Blue Dragon found it boring, but maybe its just because your not customizing your character etc as you would do if you started a new game

If you like StarWars KOTOR , you'll love Mass effect

Don't buy TwoWorlds

Played a trial version of Phantasy Star Online, and all i saw was around 30 people spamming constituently (very annoying) and trying to chat up any girls (who were probably all guys)

Saw a nice looking RPG in GAME yesterday, might've been out for a while... must find out the name, probably the one mentioned above

Hope thats any help to you dude

Red

WHAT???:confused: Oblivion is the best game on the planet. Read the reviews

Heh, so I went into game last night ot pick up Mass effect on your recommendations, got in there looked through the games and thought - "What was the name of that game again, Bioshock wasnt it ?"

Got home and read this thread again and thought bollox :D

So Ill just have to keep bioshock and buy Mass Effect now too. Also picked up shadowrun second hand.

I'm considering buying the wireless adapter too, some online play mightnt go astray. Question though - how would a relatively constant connection affect my 20GB cap ? How many gigs off the cap would I want to cordon off for my online play ?

Thanks again guys

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Don't worry, Bioshock, while light in RPG features, is a fantastic game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

conjamuk wrote: »
    WHAT???:confused: Oblivion is the best game on the planet. Read the reviews

Oblivion may have shiner graphics but storyline, option and game play morrowwind is far superior.

• Advertisement

Do people still play Shadawrun online? I tought that game was great fun at first but it just gets so boring so i traded it in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭RedXIII

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Oblivion may have shiner graphics but storyline, option and game play morrowwind is far superior.

Thank you :) Its nothing personal about oblivion... sure it looks nice but its i feel it has drifted mainstream rather than hardcore RPG, plus Oblivion gate...oblivion gate....oblivion gate gets really annoying :P Screw reviews :P

Regards
    Red

Shame about picking up Bioshock instead of Mass Effect alright, but definitely not the end of the world - Bioshock is a class game too.

I think Game's €45 offer on Mass Effect ended yesterday :(
    Still, Bioshock is great too.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

I wouldn't buy from Game if they were offering Mass Effect for a tenner.
    They're the biggest bunch of robbing b*astards on the planet. 5 euro off the RRP for a preowned game with pawed instructions(that's if it has instructions, it costs the same for a preowned game with or without instructions).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭ceejay

Definitely Mass Effect, it's great. I enjoyed Oblivion, but got distracted by other games such as Gears of War so never made huge progress through it. Also if you like Star Wars, pick up Knights of the Old Republic (KOTOR) 1 and 2 for the original XBox - they're compatible with the 360, and great games too. There's also Fable for the original Xbox, which you should be able to pick up second hand, but it's also available now for download straight to your 360 via marketplace - if you decide to get connected.

Ciarán.

Well in the end I picked up -
    Bioshock
    Shivering Isles Expansion Pack
    Shadowrun
    Wireless Adaptor

Turns out the g/f had already got me Mass-Effect for Xmas. So I think that should be enough gaming to tide me over !

Cheers for the sugestions lads and ladies

Sorted, enjoy!
    Plenty of gamertags in the sticky in case you want to add any of us :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ghouldaddy07

good choice on shivering isles by far the best thing about oblivion and morrowind is defitinly the best in the series oblivon dose not have near the depth but it is quite shiney.

Id recomend faranheit which you can download of xbox live not really a traditonal rpg but more of an interactive movie game with a great story.

also you can get fable from the xbox original store which is a great little funny rpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement