Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst christmas present ever received from O/H

Options
  • 19-12-2007 11:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

I can't be the only one who received a rubbish christmas present and had to feign delight only to suffer a migraine when the shock wore off and go very quiet for a few hours.

The first christmas I spent with my boyfriend I waited at home all day in expectation of said present. I had bought him a tv/dvd which I knew he needed.

After ripping off the wrapping paper it turned out to be a really cheap hamper with bath stuff in it. Hello? I lived in an apartment at the time and we had a shower - no bath. The lavendar body lotion looked like it would bring me out in the rash. I also got a calendar (yes a calendar) that was for teenage girls.
    It wasnt that he was cheap he just didnt have a clue. Thankfully after 3 years together things have improved and there has been no bath products in sight.
    The same year on of my friends got a top from Sasha that his mother had picked out.

I can't be the only one - can I?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭TheB

queencakes wrote: »
    I can't be the only one who received a rubbish christmas present and had to feign delight only to suffer a migraine when the shock wore off and go very quiet for a few hours.

I can't be the only one - can I?

:D:D

You are not alone .. My OH hasn't bought me anything rubbish.. he's smart.. either follows the clues left lying around the house for him to find - the bathroom floor in line of sight of the loo is a good place..:) .. failing that he either buys me bling or something for the horse..

My previous OH though.. complete berk about presents.. he gave me a SANDWICH TOASTER the one and only Christmas we spent together.. Actually.. he never gave me anything good the muppet.. As a random Lovegift he gave me really really awful tacky red nylon underwear set.. Yak.. that got "lost".. and then there was the Thermos Flask.. Come On.. who gives their girlfriend a FLASK ??? :confused: .. Idiot.

My worst fear though - as a friend of OH's gave his GF - is getting Argos Jewellery.. especial the stuff with Dolphins on.. Eeeugh.. he said to OH .."Yeah..I've got ****** this really quality ring and bracelet/necklace set from Argos.. look it's got Dolphins on" .. OH didn't know what to say.. GF dumped OH's friend soon after .. (not just because of the jewellery but she said it did figure in her break up statement..)

**sorry to anyone who likes this kind of thing.. it's not meant to offend..I just personally hate it..**

Bx

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Eh none!!! I presented him with a really nice shirt and he looked at me like I had handed him a snake. He thought seeing as we weren't together that long that he didn't need to buy a Christmas present. I actually dumped on the spot I was that upset. I think no matter what kind of realtionship you are in you need to make some effort.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

a picture frame with bulldogs on it. WTF??!! Seriously! I nearly got sick!!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Lux23 wrote: »
    Eh none!!! I presented him with a really nice shirt and he looked at me like I had handed him a snake. He thought seeing as we weren't together that long that he didn't need to buy a Christmas present. I actually dumped on the spot I was that upset. I think no matter what kind of realtionship you are in you need to make some effort.

Wow, how long were you together at that time?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Wow, how long were you together at that time?

2 months but we had a very on off thing for about 18 months before that. To be honest I was glad he did that because it really made me realise what kind of man he was. i wasn't expecting anything huge but he was even too selfish to give me even a small token. Its kinda of funny now though.

• Advertisement

Well you were "kinda" seeing one another for the guts of two years then... I think it'd be only right that he give you something, but like ya said, least ya saw where ya stood!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

I got dumped...:D

Sorry to hear it GinnyJo... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Lands Leaving

GinnyJo wrote: »
    I got dumped...:D

Got that for my birthday once!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 glanza

no heres a rubbish cristmas present, my mum bought me a big expensive shampoo set, but failed (somehow) to bother reading that it was for men with receeding or thinning hairlines. i have long blonde hair, and am not a man!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 queencakes

glanza wrote: »
    no heres a rubbish cristmas present, my mum bought me a big expensive shampoo set, but failed (somehow) to bother reading that it was for men with receeding or thinning hairlines. i have long blonde hair, and am not a man!!!

LOL :D:D

That sounds like something my mother would do.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

i once got a luke kelly CD for Christmas present. I hate Luke Kelly. Thought it was the worst present ever. Until I got a set of expensive hairbrushes...I'd just cut off all my hair so was raging. Like had about 2 inches all over. :rolleyes:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Got that for my birthday once!
    it gets worse, Ive been dumped by 2 long terms at Christmas....altogether now AWWWhhhhhhhhh
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

for my 19th birthday...

from my then bf i got....

.. a pair of tickets for some all ireland final or something he won in supermacs, i have no ides about hurling/gaa football, i don't like it.

Oh and then because I was apalled i got another few presents... his sister was clearing out her room as she was expecting a baby so i got, ya know the crap pressies that someone gives you that you think... ooh i'll keep that and can give it to someone when i need something... yeah!! was not happy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

a very big shiney cut glass necklace that was very clearly nothing like anything i had EVER worn (we'd been together over a year) funny thing was, he'd done better the first christmas when we'd only been sorta together a couple of weeks!

i reckon he was trying too hard, and over thinking it, figuring 'bling' jewellery was more appropriate since we'd been together longer!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

glanza wrote: »

That's gas!!

I'd have gone mad!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

Seraphina wrote: »

i reckon he was trying too hard, and over thinking it, figuring 'bling' jewellery was more appropriate since we'd been together longer!

Ha ha ha eurgh!! Ok now I'm worried... my boyfriend got me the most perfect necklace for my 21st in September, chosen all by himself... oooooh noooooo!!! What if he tries to do better!! Argh!!

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Livvie

Can we include birthday presents? Mine bought me black patent leather shoes, with 4" heels once.

I nearly dented his head with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

Quite like the second poster my previous OH gave me a metal flask/torch combo for our SECOND Christmas together. I can't remember what he got me the first time around but it definitly wasn't a flask. I remember being dumbfounded and actually speechless, which believe me isn't normal:p My now OH hasn't given me a bad present at all, maybe he's just more thoughtful ;)

I had a boyfriend once who had to be coerced into getting me something after 6 months of going out.....it turned out to be a 6.99 book.
    He bought it online and sent it directly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

You all sound very hard to please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

the ex last year , got me a pair of jeans a size to small for me and beyonce perfume(nice smell) but i hate beyonce and he knew this, he thought it would be funny - assmunch

What does it matter whos name was on the bottle so long as it smelled nice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 LittleGoblin

Best presents ever!!!

My dad got me a maglite torch and a swiss army knife for my 16th birthday. Still have them - still perfect. Maglite is permanently in my glovebox, and swiss army knife lives in my makeup bag.

21st birthday - my boyfriend got me a dictionary and thesaurus. I needed them, still do..... obviously there were a few little things as well but it shows that these are the things I remember and still use every few days!

TBH LittleGoblin, I think that's deadly! :D

The same kinda presents others were complaining about, you got and love :)
    Us men aren't all idiots... ;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

What does it matter whos name was on the bottle so long as it smelled nice?

it didnt it smelt nice, i used it and moved on! ha (just the jeans but we will say no more about it !)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

TBH LittleGoblin, I think that's deadly! :D

The same kinda presents others were complaining about, you got and love :)
    Us men aren't all idiots... ;):D
    Too true. When my girlfriend was over a couple of weeks ago I got her a 21st/Christmas/chanukah present that was really thoughtful in that it was something I knew she would enjoy and would also remind her of our time together. I got zip. Which didn't really bother me until I came across this thread.

b.ie polar wrote: »
    Too true. When my girlfriend was over a couple of weeks ago I got her a 21st/Christmas/chanukah present that was really thoughtful in that it was something I knew she would enjoy and would also remind her of our time together. I got zip. Which didn't really bother me until I came across this thread.
    If it didn't bother you then, don't let it bother you now.

I know I'll be giving a present, although a small one, and I don't expect anything back at all, and I'll be happy at that too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

worst present i got was a fucking jumper... I mean seriously wtf like !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

i think my favourite one was my b/f told me he'd a mix cd for me as a pressie... came over and broke up with me, and told me twas a breakup gift....

Advertisement