Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rapist Prick gets his just desserts

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

the full story:

The Court of Criminal Appeal has imposed a ten-year prison sentence on the 20-year-old man convicted of the rape of woman from Co Clare.

Mary Shannon, a 33-year-old mother of three, was raped in May 2005.

She waived right to anonymity after Adam Keane, from Barnageeha in Daragh Co Clare, was initially given a three-year suspended sentence for the attack.
    Advertisement

He was then ordered to serve the sentence after making what the trial judge described as a 'triumphalist gesture' against the victim in the case.

Keane flicked a cigarette at Ms Shannon after both took the train home to Ennis after the original sentencing.

An appeal against the sentence on the grounds of 'undue leniency' was lodged by the Director of Public Prosecutions.

The Court of Criminal Appeal said this morning that the original sentence handed down by the Central Criminal Court was unduly lenient and the court upheld the appeal of the DPP.

Mary Shannon was in court with her family when the judgment was handed down.

The final three years of the ten-year sentence were suspended.

Chief Justice John Murray said that the offence of rape is a grave physical assault.

He said in this case it was aggravated by the fact that the rape took place in the victim's own home and bed whilst her three children were in close proximity.

Mr Murray said the fact that Adam Keane had taken alcohol and drugs on the night in question did not absolve him of any responsibility.

great to see justice being served

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

So, a man commited a crime, and got a prison sentence for it?

Am I missing the point here?

I was expecting something slightly more interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭High&Low

Blisterman wrote: »

If you read the article you will see that at the time he was convicted he was given a suspended sentence, there was uproar about this and the DPP rightly appealed the leniency of the sentence...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Finally a decent sentence for one of the most horrible crimes commited these days,
    Ive seen rapists let go with a slap on the wrist whereas the woman has the rest of her life to deal with.
    10 years should give him enough time to think about what hes done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

tell me about it. Though 10 years is better then normal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

The scumbag getting the sentence he should have originally got seems like something to applaud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

I remember this story ,
    Cocky thing **** after first trail bet is not so cocky now :D:D:D
    Good to see sometimes justice is done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭KingOfFairview

Read the story fully, its not your average case

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 876 ✭✭✭woodseb

i remember reading the facts of the case, wasn't your usual black and white rape case.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

10 years for rape seems decent enough. Suspended sentences for things
    like that are just unacceptable imo. Good outcome.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Final 3 years suspended.

Out in 7 if not less?

Not half harsh enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Great news, he should have been given jail time the first time round but at least he's being punished now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

so the moral of the original sentence was

Rape is OK once you don't litter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Noelie

How could the first Judge only give a suspended sentence, that's shocking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Mr Murray said the fact that Adam Keane had taken alcohol and drugs on the night in question did not absolve him of any responsibility.
    Finally someone get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,611 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Noelie wrote: »

The facts of the original case had more than a hint of reasonable doubt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I was really hoping this thread was about the Pie from American Pie getting revenge on Jason Biggs for the way he treated it.

He never even thought of the pies feelings! He just laid into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

Noelie wrote: »

Thats what popped into my head reading the OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Tinytony

I can't find anything about Dessert in it? What a disappointment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I find it interesting that a person was convicted to 10 years in prison for what was basically one persons word against another.

• Advertisement

krazy_8s wrote: »
    I find it interesting that a person was convicted to 10 years in prison for what was basically one persons word against another.

It was just one persons word, he stated he had no memory of the incident, actually it wasn't just one persons word, the papers ran the story front page for a week, courts swayed by the media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

So you don't think that a rape was committed? What are you basing that on?

woooo232 wrote: »

Where did I say that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

So you DO think that a rape was committed? what are you basing that on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭ojewriej

You have to prove the guilt, not the innocence.

Are you sure it was just based on her word? Was there no forensic evidence?

I mean given that he claims he doesn't remember instead of not guilty would indicate that there must be some proof it happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Igy wrote: »

The fact somebody was convicted of committing a rape.
    krazy_8s wrote:

I didn't say that you did. I asked you if that was what you thought because it is the clear implication from your post that a rape may not have taken place because as you say it is one person's word against another.

ojewriej wrote: »
    You have to prove the guilt, not the innocence.

Are you sure it was just based on her word? Was there no forensic evidence?

I mean given that he claims he doesn't remember instead of not guilty would indicate that there must be some proof it happened.

There was his DNA but that is not proof of rape.

Boggles wrote: »
    There was his DNA but that is not proof of rape.

Maybe there was something else though? I mean I find it hard to believe that any judge would hand 10 year sentence based on the statement of one person and no other proof.

Maybe there was something else though? I mean I find it hard to believe that any judge would hand 10 year sentence based on the statement of one person and no other proof.

The judge handed him a suspened sentence, meaning he walked free, it was what happened after that convicted him.

• Advertisement

The judge handed him a suspened sentence, meaning he walked free, it was what happened after that convicted him.

What happened after only activated the 3 year sentence.

Today his sentence was changed to 10 years with last 3 suspended.

All I'm saying DPP must have had strong evidence if they managed to do that.

What happened after only activated the 3 year sentence.

Today his sentence was changed to 10 years with last 3 suspended.

All I'm saying DPP must have had strong evidence if they managed to do that.

According to the article he recieved the extra time because the victims suffering was not taken into account, plus the original Judge did not assign the appropriate weight to the sentence. No new evidence.

According to the article he recieved the extra time because the victims suffering was not taken into account, plus the original Judge did not assign the appropriate weight to the sentence. No new evidence.

I didn't say new, I said strong.

I was just answering to someone who said he was convicted based on one peron's statement only. I find it hard to believe, that is all.

I was just answering to someone who said he was convicted based on one peron's statement only. I find it hard to believe, that is all.

There was no new evidence strong or not, it was not a retrial. No evidence was taken into account in giving him the 10 years, it was based on the victim suffering and lenientcy of the original sentence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 876 ✭✭✭woodseb

Rape is all about consent, and consent is a subjective matter in the view of the victim, therefore many rape cases are based on the statement of the victim

the unique thing about this case is that the victim 'thought' it was her husband that had jumped into bed with her until after the act:confused:

woodseb wrote: »
    Rape is all about consent, and consent is a subjective matter in the view of the victim, therefore many rape cases are based on the statement of the victim

the unique thing about this case is that the victim 'thought' it was her husband that had jumped into bed with her until after the act:confused:

Not her husband, her boyfriend. She always slept with the lights on, the lights were on this night, she didn't notice it was not her boyfriend until after the fact. The defence stated she did not have a boyfriend at the time of the incident.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

If somebody broke into your mothers house and raped your mother that is "basically one persons word against another". Whats your point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

that was a really weird case.

Edit: Woooo32, why did you horribly misquote me in this post
    DonJose wrote: »
    If somebody broke into your mothers house and raped your mother that is "basically one persons word against another". Whats your point.

Thats person would

*Have no reasonable alibi for being there.
    *Have no reasonable alibi for sleeping with my mother.
    *There would be signs of forced entry.

Tbh, your analagy fails.

How about this one.

You meet a lash in the pub, or know one through a friend. You both get a little drunk. End up back at her/your place. She likes it a little rough, you oblige. You decide not to call her the next day. Police show up at your house a week later claiming your raped her. You had drank more then her, your memory was fuzzy and you can't remember exact details and certain points are blanks. You get sentenced to 10 years in prison.

Or option B.

All of the above, except it wasn't consensual. You raped the bitch.

What is the difference between the two? One persons word against the other. Losing ten years of anybodys life because some decided her word was better, would be about the worst thing I could imaging happening. The same with some rapist walking away scot free.

There is no easy option here, so I'm not going to give you a alternative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

All of the above, except it wasn't consensual. You raped the bitch.

Thats a nice way to describe a rape victim :rolleyes:

DonJose wrote: »
    Thats a nice way to describe a rape victim :rolleyes:

**** it, she was going to report me for doing it anyway. Did you not see the first option?

• Advertisement

Thats the second time you misquoted me. Stop it. I said he was sent to jail for ten years on the basis on one persons word. If you read the facts of that case, or most other rape cases in this country you will see the same thing with completely different outcomes every time.

How did I misquote you?

How did I misquote you?

Edit, sorry wrong user. That woo chap is to blame.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Not her husband, her boyfriend. She always slept with the lights on, the lights were on this night, she didn't notice it was not her boyfriend until after the fact. The defence stated she did not have a boyfriend at the time of the incident.
    IF this is true, then that's not rape!!

How the **** did she not know who it was? Why was he in the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

the unique thing about this case is that the victim 'thought' it was her husband that had jumped into bed with her until after the act

What the hell?
    Was she on drugs too? I reckon the guy involved is absolute scum based on his reported actions on the train, but what the hell is this?

I should clarify. Rape means no consent given. What people are saying is that consent was there, but then withdrawn AFTER the event!??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭NotWormBoy

IF this is true, then that's not rape!!

How the **** did she not know who it was? Why was he in the house?

Yeah, if that actually is true... then no way in hell is it rape.

NotWormBoy wrote: »
    Yeah, if that actually is true... then no way in hell is it rape.

The accused was not a stranger to the victim, they were in fact friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Dennis the Stone

You can withdraw consent at any time during the act, but not after it. This is very strange.

It is indeed a strange case, not as black and white as protrayed, Justice Carney saw it as this too and would be a reason he gave a leniant sentence first time out.

Justice Carney is highly respected and widely regarded as a very tough but fair Judge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭NotWormBoy

The accused was not a stranger to the victim, they were in fact friends.

So?

fluffer wrote: »
    What the hell?
    Was she on drugs too? I reckon the guy involved is absolute scum based on his reported actions on the train, but what the hell is this?

I should clarify. Rape means no consent given. What people are saying is that consent was there, but then withdrawn AFTER the event!??

The victim stated in court she thought it was her boyfriend, the defence noted that the accused has several large body tattoos.

• Advertisement
Advertisement