Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

price of a goose?

• 19-12-2007 12:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭

so after my initial search for a capon for xmas which ended in bitter disappointment, i'm now looking for a goose which are pretty widely available, but the price i was quoted seems astronomical. i'm just wondering what you guys would expect to pay for a goose in dublin? anyone have any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

if anyone's interested, cheapest i found with a very good butcher was 70 euros for a 12 pound goose (which is already crazy expensive). some people were offering them for up to 120 euros :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

They have frozen geese for sale in Lidl at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭balon

I'm picking one up tomorrow in Navan - €4.25 per pound. Pretty good value as I've paid €75 for a 12 pound bird in the past.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Expensive - my mum just rang me to tell me we're having a goose this year for Xmas (normally have duck) and she couldn't help but taunt me by saying she was going to say exactly how dear it was!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Even when its not Christmas, Tesco has them frozen... and they do not cost €70 either.... thats nuts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

balon wrote: »
    I'm picking one up tomorrow in Navan - €4.25 per pound. Pretty good value as I've paid €75 for a 12 pound bird in the past.
    seems like a good and normal price to me. I think Dublin prices are always going to be inflated though
    Alun wrote: »
    They have frozen geese for sale in Lidl at the moment.
    To be fair, i'd rather a nice fresh free range one for xmas to be sure
    ixoy wrote: »
    Expensive - my mum just rang me to tell me we're having a goose this year for Xmas (normally have duck) and she couldn't help but taunt me by saying she was going to say exactly how dear it was!
    now you can beat her to the punch :D
    Saruman wrote: »
    Even when its not Christmas, Tesco has them frozen... and they do not cost €70 either.... thats nuts.

as above, i'd rather not trust xmas dinner to a never tried frozen goose...but you're right it is crazy prices. Turkey prices have gone up considerably too, and all of it due to the high price of grain this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Saruman wrote: »

Tesco sell goose?! I've never in my life seen goose for sale in Tesco!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

you must have walked past it and not noticed :D I have seen it in clarehall, maynooth, clearwater and even Mullingar (my local).
    Oh its in a white plastic covering. There was none the last day i was in Mullingar, probably snapped up for Christmas.

Advertisement