Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metal Gear Solid Games

Options
  • 19-12-2007 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭

Anyone know where I can buy the MGS games together? I have MGS:3 Subsistence but I want to buy the other 2/3. Is there some kind of Box Set with all of them? Or will there be after MGS4?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Theres no box set that im aware of anyway,I doubt there would be one in the near futhure,but you could try amazon.co.uk and buy them there separately,make sure you get the first one,thats definitely the best in the series in my opinion :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

Conor108 wrote: »
    Anyone know where I can buy the MGS games together? I have MGS:3 Subsistence but I want to buy the other 2/3. Is there some kind of Box Set with all of them? Or will there be after MGS4?

waitasec,you have 3 and you wanna buy 2or3??

i am assuming you want 1 and 2 ya?

if that's the case,look for the GC MGS1:Twin Snake ,it's a remake using MGS2 on ps2 engine,basically an improved version of MGS1 on ps1,something new on the storyline too.
    then MGS2 get the MGS2:Substance,since you have subsistence:D
    and maybe you should look for psp's MGS:OPS for the small part story of naked snake...

no box set thingy for MGS series so far:p but think of that...perfectionist Kojima's may actually do that...hmmm...

p/s:i am looking for MGS:twin snake too,if ya ever find a good deal,PM me:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Yeah I've got portable ops its brilliant! If only the Japanese stuff would come out here!

Theres loads of MGS stuff on Play-Asia but its all for Japan PS2s

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,413 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Stay well away from MGS: Twin Snakes. The original is a much better game. The cutscenes are completely ruined in Twin Snakes.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Thats a matter of opinion about Twin Snakes vs the Original MGS. The action cut scenes are lot more over the top than the original but hardly any more daft than the ones in MGS2.

MGS on the PS1 has not aged too well from a graphical view point.

Need to pick up a copy of Twin Snakes myself its one of the last MGS games I'm missing.

Complete listing of metal gear games.

Metal Gear (comes free with MGS3 Subsistence)
    Snakes Revenge (non cannon sequel released on the NES)
    Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake (comes free with MGS3 Subsistence)
    Metal Gear Solid (Playstation 1)
    Metal Gear Solid: VR Missions (Expansion Pack, Playstation 1)
    Metal Gear Solid: Ghost Babel (non cannon spin off on theGameboy Color)
    Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty (Playstation 2)
    Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (adds bonus content and standalone missions Playstation 2)
    Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (Playstation 2
    Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence(adds 3D camera, online play which is no longer supported,bonus content Playstation 2)
    Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops (PSP)
    Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops Plus (Expansion not available in Europe yet PSP)
    Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes (Remake of Metal Gear Solid on Gamecube)
    Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (PS3 coming soon)
    Metal Gear Online (Online only Playstation 3 game coming soon)
    Metal Gear Acid (Spin off PSP)
    Metal Gear Acid (2 spin off in Acid series PSP)
    Metal Gear Solid Digital Graphic Novel (comic book retelling of original Metal Gear Solid on the PSP)
    Metal Gear Solid 2: Bande Dessinée (comic book retelling of Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty, also contains updated version of the original Digital Graphic Novel with full voice acting, not yet release on PSP)
    Metal Gear Solid Mobile (yet to be released mobile phone game with possible connection to Metal Gear Solid 2 Sons of Liberty)
    Metal Gear Solid: 20th Anniversary Edition (contains all Playstation versions of the Metal Gear Solid Series, except Portable Ops Plus not yet released in Europe for PS2)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Stay well away from MGS: Twin Snakes. The original is a much better game. The cutscenes are completely ruined in Twin Snakes.

Whatever you feel about cutscenes aside, Twin Snakes is an excellent tribute to the original game. The enemy AI is essentially taken from MGS2, making it a tougher game than the original. There's no real change to the storyline, so the difference in AI is the only real challenge. Still worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Retr0gamer wrote: »

Rubbish. The cutscenes are altered, not ruined and the gameplay is vastly improved thanks to much better AI. Twin Snakes is a far superior game to the original, and that's ignoring the improved graphics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

I found Twin Snakes unplayable.

I don't know if it was the Gamecube joypad and it's lack of analogue buttons ruining it or if MGS1 just wasn't as good as I remembered after being spoiled by MGS2, but the controls just felt awful, something that also ruined Portable Ops for me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,413 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Rubbish. The cutscenes are altered, not ruined and the gameplay is vastly improved thanks to much better AI. Twin Snakes is a far superior game to the original, and that's ignoring the improved graphics.

Well it still plays nicely and some of the changes to the bosses were great but those cutscenes were absolutely terrible. The one when snake jumps on to a missle that was fired at him then launches a stinger in mid air was just ridiculous. That twat that made the awful versus really made a mess of the cutscences. The PSX version is the one to go for since it's still a fabulous game despite not having the MGS 2 additions.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I have the Japanese 20th Anniversary Box Set which contains all the PSOne, PS2 games, as well as Metal Gear 1, Metal Gear 2 and Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops, and some making-f DVDs.

I believe that it is coming to America and Europe next year, so it might be worth waiting for that.

It is unquestionably the greatest series of games ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

I have the Japanese 20th Anniversary Box Set which contains all the PSOne, PS2 games, as well as Metal Gear 1, Metal Gear 2 and Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops, and some making-f DVDs.

I believe that it is coming to America and Europe next year, so it might be worth waiting for that.

It is unquestionably the greatest series of games ever.

Brilliant I'll keep an eye out for it. And yes its probably the greatest. I'd put 'Fallout' second

As daft as Snakes somersault onto the stinger and off again was it does not compare to the completely retarded MGS2 Solidus VS Mass Produced Metal Gear scene. Or numerous other scenes which required people and characters to just sit around and wait to be killed. Even the character of Vamp which was a good concept, his introduction scene felt really forced with characters not reacting realisticly to his actions. Ditto Ocelots introduction scene. Too much slow motion used as well.

Well we all know that storywise and in terms of direction MGS2 is a complete mess. MGS3 was a real return to form.

Agreed Retro.

If they just stopped adding in twists after the 2/3 of the game and down scaled the ending it would of been fine.

Though I got to admit the Colonels melt down at the end was inspired.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The only major issue I have with the MGS games is that they take the story way too seriously on occasion. I remember in MGS3 you had to sit through like a half hour of introductory cutscenes, followed by approximately 10 seconds of gameplay, and then another five minutes of CODEC nonsense.

However, once you got past the prologue the game emerged as one of the best in years. Same with MGS 2. Dull, often overwrought story coupled with stunning gameplay.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

OMG!!!how come i never heard of it!!:Dtake a look of its detail...i thought it should be included the extras from Substance and Subsistence?no?then nothing has changed my plan.....

and steviec,MGS:OPS is unplayable unless you change the control button IMO...change the 'analog' one for the video camera and cross for moving...i was shouting Kojima's name after i was using the default controls setting for 20minutes....
    The only major issue I have with the MGS games is that they take the story way too seriously on occasion. I remember in MGS3 you had to sit through like a half hour of introductory cutscenes, followed by approximately 10 seconds of gameplay, and then another five minutes of CODEC nonsense.

However, once you got past the prologue the game emerged as one of the best in years. Same with MGS 2. Dull, often overwrought story coupled with stunning gameplay.

dude...that's why MGS is so successful,the story!!but in MGS3 is actually gone too far...LMAO,remember my first time on it,opening,codec,blah blah for about 20minutes,get killed *forget to save*...replay the whole damn 20minutes again...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

seraphimvc wrote: »

and steviec,MGS:OPS is unplayable unless you change the control button IMO...change the 'analog' one for the video camera and cross for moving...i was shouting Kojima's name after i was using the default controls setting for 20minutes....

Interesting. I might have to give it another go over Christmas then.

I was really looking forward to that game but the controls just ruined it for me. I'd like to be able to play through it without dying every two minutes because I didn't have enough fingers...

I'd no issue with MGS Portable Ops playing with default control scheme. Just took a few minutes to get use to and then I was grand.

I have unlocked everything you can unlock in Portable Ops but Boss Rush mode will not unlock for me even though I cleared the game several times but it never appears in the menu.

Anyone know whats up with that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Master-Decoy

hey azza, in your above post with the metal gear listing, what do you mean by "non cannon"? cheers dude

Not considered part of the main storyline of MGS. A spinoff in other words like The Metal Gear Acid series.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Master-Decoy

aahhh I see! Not too bad so, it was the non cannon ones I was looking at there thinking "shizzham,need to buy those now" but if there not integral to the storyline then I'll just stick to portable ops ill Guns Of The Patriots is out.woot for metal gear!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

its actually called non canon

:cool::cool::cool:

Oops abit of a mind slip there!

Advertisement