Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help with networking, complete network illeterate here.

Options
  • 19-12-2007 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭

I got my Wireless Mobile broadband off Digiweb, which supplies a Wireless Router url=http://netgear.com/Products/RoutersandGateways/GWirelessRouters/MBR814XF.aspx]802.11G FLASH-OFDM MOBILE BROADBAND ROUTER[/url.

I've got 3 computers, 1 desktop and 2 laptops (the desktop and a laptop runs XP, the other Vista).

I've got the router connected to my PC and had no problems getting the laptops to get connected wireless using the "Wireless Detect" function and typing in the WPE onto the secure connection... so to speak.

But when I'm trying to share files between the computers I'm stumped. I've got "SHARED DOCUMENTS" to be shared on network [has a picture of a hand holding up the icon] on the PC, but none of the laptops show anything of the sort to notice this SHARED DOCUMENTS off the PC.

How do I get it to?

Keep in mind, I'm VERY new to networking... i.e. - practically no knowledge on it, so please give an easy step-by-step guide. Would be very much appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pablo21

Put the 3 machines on the one workgroup (Right click my computer, properties and computer name, Network wizard)and share a folder on each (Right click a share folder and set permissions). Set DHCP on and reboot! Bobs your uncle! Happy Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Done the workgroup, set all as HOME... and I've got Shared documents as shared [has a little orange hand holding it on the icon, as I've mentioned above].

What's DHCP? :p

Edit - On router's setting I found this, though I aien't got a clue what to do with it ^_^;

57266212le9.th.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

BeerWolf wrote: »
    Done the workgroup, set all as HOME... and I've got Shared documents as shared [has a little orange hand holding it on the icon, as I've mentioned above].

What's DHCP? :p

Edit - On router's setting I found this, though I aien't got a clue what to do with it ^_^;

57266212le9.th.jpg

Leave those alone, they are correct.
    Are all of the computers connecting to the internet ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭B0X

You are going into My Computer->Network places, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Also, do the computers have any sort of software firewall? Zonealarm, norton/mcaffee internet security? If so they will probably block network shares.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Yes, my computers connect to the internet just fine.

Network places, there's no shared folders off other computers show up on it. :(

And I've turned off the firewalls and still can't see them.

Curious though, I've got TVersity on my PC which I used view w/e format on my 360 wireless in the livingroom no problems. And when I have the server of it running on my PC, my laptops then see my PC as a Media center server.

What gives?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

So you got to network places and all you see is Shared Documents and these are off the machine you are on.

You can manually go to a machine by typing '\\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx' where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the IP address or the computer name of a machine on the same subnet which will be the case if they all connected to the router.

On one of the computers you are trying to access, goto Start-> Run. Type 'cmd' and then on the black box that appears type ipconfig.

You should see an IP address there, of probably 192.168.x.x.
    Take note of this and go back to the other computer from which you are trying to access the computer from.
    Open up a folder and in the address bar type \\192.168.x.x (\\ with the IP address you took note of)

Is it able to access it? - also make sure firewalls are off as stated above.
    You should also be able to type: '\\192.168.x.x\c$'

This should access the 'C' Drive regardless if it shared or not but ensure that C is the letter on the drive of the computer you are trying to access.

Don't know if this make sense to you at all or if i even read into your post correctly but worth a try.

Webmonkey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

BeerWolf wrote: »
    Yes, my computers connect to the internet just fine.

Network places, there's no shared folders off other computers show up on it. :(

And I've turned off the firewalls and still can't see them.

Curious though, I've got TVersity on my PC which I used view w/e format on my 360 wireless in the livingroom no problems. And when I have the server of it running on my PC, my laptops then see my PC as a Media center server.

What gives?

Try this:

http://www.networkmagic.com/nmlp/home-networking.php?src=google&kw=network%20magic&gclid=CMS4qPKMv5ACFSEmEgodXlnEYQ

Costs about €20. Sets up in about 10 minutes without any problems. Great interface, especially if (like me) you want as little hassle as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Beerwolf, make sure you have "file and printer sharing for microsoft windows" enabled on each respective LAN/WAN connection. You can check that by going to control panel -> networking -> <network connection> properties.

Advertisement