Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rough guide to studio apartment?

Options
  • 19-12-2007 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all.

I've been living in Dublin for four years now (first two years in student accomadation, third year sharing a rented house, nightmare and still waiting to take them to court for my deposit back)

Anyways, I'm now sharing a house with two girls, but I've decided to get my own place. I just want to live on my own, so a studio apartment seems like a good bet.

I'm aiming for the Swords area, and am just curious as to whether €600-800 per month is the average price?

And also if there are certain things I should look out for with regard to studios? Or stuff to avoid?

Many thanks!

JB

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Hey,

In swords you would prob get an apartment for that money.

Usually a studio apt is a room with a couch,bed and kitchen area,somtimes a shower room too,though sometimes it is shared.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

From daft.ie
    * 7 Applewood, Swords, North Co. Dublin - Studio apartment to let Studio - €1,200 monthly
    * 16 Applewood Court, Swords, North Co. Dublin - Studio apartment to let Studio - €1,000 monthly

However, you can get 1 bed apartments slightly cheaper.
    * Applewood Gardens, Applewood, Swords, North Co. Dublin - Apartment to let 1 bedroom, 1 bathroom, furnished - €950 monthly
    * Ridgewood Square, Swords, North Co. Dublin - Apartment to let 1 bedroom, 1 bathroom, furnished - €1,000 monthly
    * Oulart, Forest Road, Swords, North Co. Dublin - Apartment to let 1 bedroom, 1 bathroom, furnished - €975 monthly
    * Hollywel Square, Swords, North Co. Dublin - Apartment to let 1 bedroom, 1 bathroom, furnished - €650 monthly
    * Apartment 3, Rathbeale Road, Swords, North Co. Dublin - Apartment to let 1 bedroom, 1 bathroom, furnished - €950 monthly

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?s%5Bcc_id%5D=ct1&s%5Ba_id%5D=295&s%5Bmnp%5D=&s%5Bmxp%5D=1400&s%5Bbd_no%5D=0&refine=Refine&search=1&s%5Bsearch_type%5D=rental&s%5Brefreshmap%5D=1&s%5Bpt_id%5D=3&s%5Bbedroom_number%5D=0&search_type=rental

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Hey,

In swords you would prob get an apartment for that money.

Usually a studio apt is a room with a couch,bed and kitchen area,somtimes a shower room too,though sometimes it is shared.

Ah well, being honest my main concern is just having my own place. Never feel 'at home' when I live with others!

I'm checking out Daft quite a bit, and the 600-800 range (can't really afford more TBH) seems to be common enough, I guess I'm just wondering would I be getting ripped off at that price?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Not ripped off - more you are spreading the cost over one person, not a few people.

Cool, I guess you're right man.

Some places come with shared laundry facilities... anyone here have a good or bad experience with these?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

It really depends on who you're sharing them with, but in theory it's alright.
    It does have the disadvantage that you can't / shouldn't just put on a wash and forget about it, as someone else will need the machine and may not (perhaps rightly) feel too bothered about dumping your stuff onto the floor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I have to say, I'm absolutely flabberghasted at those prices. I've been out of the rental market for a few years, so I'm not saying whether they are good or bad - but I've lived in Swords all my life, and I'm amazed people are paying those prices for a studio in Applewood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭patrickolee

Have to agree, paying that kind of money (1000ish) for a studio/one bed so far from town seems crazy. The property market is going through some strange times with so many people hanging back from purchasing, I think. Rents have shot up over the last couple of years.

Ah true, 1000-ish is ridiculous - at that rate you're as well paying a mortgage, as it's not much more. I've no intention of going beyond 850 at all, that's absolute top line.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Victor wrote: »
    From daft.ie
    * 7 Applewood, Swords, North Co. Dublin - Studio apartment to let Studio - €1,200 monthly
    * 16 Applewood Court, Swords, North Co. Dublin - Studio apartment to let Studio - €1,000 monthly

However, you can get 1 bed apartments slightly cheaper.
    * Applewood Gardens, Applewood, Swords, North Co. Dublin - Apartment to let 1 bedroom, 1 bathroom, furnished - €950 monthly
    * Ridgewood Square, Swords, North Co. Dublin - Apartment to let 1 bedroom, 1 bathroom, furnished - €1,000 monthly
    * Oulart, Forest Road, Swords, North Co. Dublin - Apartment to let 1 bedroom, 1 bathroom, furnished - €975 monthly
    * Hollywel Square, Swords, North Co. Dublin - Apartment to let 1 bedroom, 1 bathroom, furnished - €650 monthly
    * Apartment 3, Rathbeale Road, Swords, North Co. Dublin - Apartment to let 1 bedroom, 1 bathroom, furnished - €950 monthly

I wonder what's wrong with Hollywel Square...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

I wonder what's wrong with Hollywel Square...
    Baiba Saulite was shot dead at the doorway of her home in Hollywel Square in 2006.

It's also a fair bit out of Swords and wouldn't have the access to facilities that the other places listed would have.

Not a very desirable area.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Ah true, 1000-ish is ridiculous - at that rate you're as well paying a mortgage, as it's not much more. I've no intention of going beyond 850 at all, that's absolute top line.
    There are many advantages of paying rent over a mortgage and visa versa, it's not a clear but decision when rent is approx the same as a mortgage to say you're as well paying a mortgage.

Aye, I know what you mean, but at 21 I'm not prepared to take on a mortgage! Besides, I couldn't afford much above 800 a month, so the point is moot.

Thanks for the heads up about Holywel Square by the way! Shall steer clear of that dwelling I think :S

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

If you can get a flat instead of a studio I'd strongly recommend it

I lived in one for several years and it really gets claustrophobic and depressing living in one room all the time.
    Also having your cloths smell of cooking gets old fast too.
    Just being able to move from one living space to another is really nice after that.

I sure can understand the desire to have your own place , but not sure small (as they inevitably are in Dublin) pokey studios are the way to go.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

Longfield wrote: »
    If you can get a flat instead of a studio I'd strongly recommend it

I lived in one for several years and it really gets claustrophobic and depressing living in one room all the time.
    Also having your cloths smell of cooking gets old fast too.
    Just being able to move from one living space to another is really nice after that.
    Agree, currently living in one and it's claustrophobic and i am paying 700euro a month.. like wtf and the landlord says he can get 750 for this place...
    house hunting at the mo.. sucks cause most people are away. Looking to share right now. Need to save:)

So is it a good idea to get somewhere with maybe a seperate bedroom area?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

So is it a good idea to get somewhere with maybe a seperate bedroom area?

If you can afford it yes... definitely worth it

Advertisement