Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loin of Pork

• 19-12-2007 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I have a loin of pork in the freezer and was gonna cook it over the weekend, no idea what to do with it though, it's not too big - would only feed about three people.

Should I just roast it in the oven? Would I be able to make gravy from juices?

Also, can you cook stuffing on it's own in an oven dish? Sorry - totally clueless about roast dinners.

Any tips appreciated...

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Loin of pork can be a bit dry, especially a small piece. I usually mix some olive oil, lemon juice, grated lemon rind and garlic with some rosemary and rub this well into the pork.
    It cooks well and stays very moist - don't cover it with foil.
    Stuffing cooks well in an oven-proof dish. Cover it with tinfoil and pierce it a few times with a knife to let steam escape. I'll only take about 40 minutes to cook so put it in well after the pork.
    I'm not sure about making gravy from the juices, I usually serve it with apple sauce (just cooking apples cooked in a tiny amount of water with lots of sugar to sweeten).

ps You can cook baby potatoes in the oven at the same time as the pork if you don't want the hassle of roast potatoes. Just put them in a dish, drizzle with olive oil, stir them around to get them coated and sprinkle with salt and black pepper. No need to boil them first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭bullpost

Try the following Recipe. I'm not a great pork fan but this is absolutlely delicious . The gravy is really tasty:

Pork Roast with Rosemary and Sage

4 ½ lbs boneless loin of pork, without rind
    4 large cloves garlic, crushed
    12 juniper berries, crushed
    sprigs of fresh sage and rosemary
    salt and freshly ground pepper

cotton string

Gravy
    1 pint chicken stock
    a little roux, optional
    a few knobs of butter, optional

Open out the pork, season with salt and pepper, spread the crushed garlic over the bottom streaky part of the pork and sprinkle with crushed juniper berries.
    Put 2 large sprigs of sage and 1 sprig of rosemary in the middle and roll up tightly.

Arrange sage leaves and rosemary sprigs all over the surface fat of the meat and tie with cotton string into a neat sausage shape.
    Preheat oven to 180C/250F/regulo 4.
    Roast for 2 ½ to 3 hours on a wire rack until the juices run clear.
    Remove the joint to a carving dish and allow to rest while you make the gravy.

To make the gravy: Degrease the juices in the roasting tin, add stock, bring to the boil and whisk to dissolve the caramelised juices on the roasting tin. Thicken with a little roux , if desired. Just before serving whisk in some knobs of butter to enrich the gravy.

Wine suggestion: Dry white wine e.g. Riesling

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

bullpost wrote: »
    Try the following Recipe. I'm not a great pork fan but this is absolutlely delicious . The gravy is really tasty:

Pork Roast with Rosemary and Sage

4 ½ lbs boneless loin of pork, without rind
    4 large cloves garlic, crushed
    12 juniper berries, crushed
    sprigs of fresh sage and rosemary

cotton string

Gravy
    1 pint chicken stock
    a little roux, optional
    a few knobs of butter, optional

Open out the pork, season with salt and pepper, spread the crushed garlic over the bottom streaky part of the pork and sprinkle with crushed juniper berries.
    Put 2 large sprigs of sage and 1 sprig of rosemary in the middle and roll up tightly.

Arrange sage leaves and rosemary sprigs all over the surface fat of the meat and tie with cotton string into a neat sausage shape.
    Preheat oven to 180C/250F/regulo 4.
    Roast for 2 ½ to 3 hours on a wire rack until the juices run clear.
    Remove the joint to a carving dish and allow to rest while you make the gravy.

To make the gravy: Degrease the juices in the roasting tin, add stock, bring to the boil and whisk to dissolve the caramelised juices on the roasting tin. Thicken with a little roux , if desired. Just before serving whisk in some knobs of butter to enrich the gravy.

Wine suggestion: Dry white wine e.g. Riesling

YUM!!! I'm definitely going to try this.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭balon

This is my favourite with Pork Loin.

Score the skin/fat and rub with salt. Then place on a bed of chopped leeks, whole unpeeled garlic cloves (as many as you like) and a bunch of fresh thyme, which you drizzle with olive oil.

When the pork is cooked, set it aside to rest and add white wine to the roasting dish. Deglaze and reduce a little, squeezing and mashing the softened roasted garlic pulp into the mix. Strain the gravy

Thickly slice the Pork, drizzle with gravy and eat with roast potatoes. Yum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Also, can you cook stuffing on it's own in an oven dish?

Stuffing cooks well in an oven dish, my mother-in-law always cooks it this way. A buttered pyrex dish is filled with the stuffing mixture and cooked for 30minutes with the roast.

You could try a porchetta flavour on the pork. Smashed garlic, chopped rosemary, crushed fennel seeds, salt & pepper. Mix with olive oil and rub over the meat. If the loin has a rind on, loosen that and push the herbs into the gap. Roast a normal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭ciog52

Defrost it first. Marinade it overnight with some fresh rosemary ,crushed garlic and olive oil. Use a roasting bag for the marinading as you can rub the herbs into the meat. The roasting bag will brown the skin for you. Add 1 or 2 tablespoons of cider to the bag before you roast the meat and it will give you lovely juices to make a real gravy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Make sure you make some home made apple sauce, just microwave some apples, what you dont use as sauce you can use with a good vanilla ice cream for a delicious dessert.

Dunnes do a Basted loin of pork for €6 I usually season with cracked salt, and roast on olive oil. the crackling is just perfect.... and the meat is actually very good. Nice and white... tender worth €6, feeds my family of 4 2a & 2c plus lunch meat....

Advertisement