Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

300 In HD For Only 100 MS Points!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,568 ✭✭✭savemejebus

dazftw wrote: »
    Damn I just got taking out of it by all the smart HD people... I dunno I just thought it looked better he had it on a HD player and a ps3 I don't whether that would make a difference but I just thought blu-ray looked nicer of the two :rolleyes:

OT: If it's any consolation you weren't the only one who thought that way. The blu-ray version won best HD title while the HD-DVD version won best best bonus features at the first ever high def disc awards. Go figurehttp://www.homemediamagazine.com/news/html/breaking_article.cfm?article_id=11663

Back on topic, it's a good offer from MS but can't envision it being a hook to get people interested in the video marketplace at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    About 8 hrs, max ;)

IT's not available till the 28th is what I meant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

remind me never to have a row about tellies with that bloke above..

he sounds too smart...

hes obviously a computer....obviously

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,699 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Not a particular fan of the film (had about as much plot as a newspaper one panel) but I do have 100 spare points left over from my SotN download months ago, so may as well give the service a test drive to sort out the queries I have about it. Thanks for the heads up OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Blackdragon

Will be trying this out also - for 100 points i cant see any reason not to.
    Many thanks OP for the notice

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Obviously there is an advantage of being able to download the HD version in that you dont need to have an actual HD Disc player to watch the movie, a trip to xtra vision isnt much use if you dont have a HD player sitting there to play it on making the 100 microsoft points seem like little or nothing to pay to have a look at the quality of a HD movie on your xbox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

McDermotX wrote: »
    Think about it though,
    to the movie studios, at least when it comes to downloadable media it doesn't matter what people what..
    If people don't want it, people don't buy it.
    In the future, the movie studio will have control over how their media is handled. How many times you can download it, what outlay people will have to pay etc etc etc..
    With this level of control, they are far more concerned over the number of times they can get the public to fork out for their intellectual property....not physical media. Rather than having people own their own copies, it is far more valuable to them to have a constant stream of revenue in a new digitally delivered entertainment industry..
    This could easily lead to a DRM-led, licensed future when it comes to media access (more so than it already is !)......this is far down the line, post optical, but it is certainly the most obvious way the industry will head..
    As much as I'm sure the studios want it I still can't see it happening. Everyone I know loves buying DVD's and having there collection sitting there for whenever they want. These people won't be willing to rent all there films and pay for them as they watch them.
    It is in MS' (and others) interest to push the boundaries of course, and their interests lie in continuing the progress of VC1, which has led to the debate of MS' ulterior motives in the HD format war.
    But with VC-1 being used on Blu-ray and HD-DVD so MS is in a great position no matter what format wins the "war".
    Everyone has their own opinion of course, but you don't need someone like Micheal Bay stating the obvious, if marginally uninformed view that MS ultimate aim of dumbed down and downloadable is going to become a reality and in their best interests..
    Of course, and its Sony/Toshiba's interest that their format wins :confused:
    just that they should appreciate that there is already a far higher quality alternative out there right now which, as strange as it sounds given the format war, is more in the publics interest. Downloadable media's time will come, but it certainly won't be in this current format or quality, or with the current broadband infrastructure limitations..
    But for someone like me it seems perfect. I have a 26" 720p TV, a reasonable set of speakers that doesn't support any of the fancy lossless formats and I have trouble with downloading very large files. I know alot about the alternative formats but I don't see any reason to make the extra effort to get them if I don't want to buy the film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,612 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

If people don't want it, people don't buy it.

As much as I'm sure the studios want it I still can't see it happening. Everyone I know loves buying DVD's and having there collection sitting there for whenever they want. These people won't be willing to rent all there films and pay for them as they watch them.

Like I said Ciaran, I'm talking about a future post optical. In the downloadable era, the public will not have the end user access they enjoy now. The convenience of downloading a new title will be opposed with the fact that you have just bought a license to view the movie studios' intellectual property and you have to abide with their terms. Which, as you can already see with current VOD standards, means an, in effect, rental policy which is the bane of all enthusiasts.
    They will have control over what you watch, how many times you can watch it, expiry dates and such and such..
    I'm glad to hear you believe people won't be willing to pay for films as they watch them as you sound opposed to the idea as well.........I'm fully oppposed to the idea as well, but it's an increasingly likely business model in the digital future I'm afraid

But with VC-1 being used on Blu-ray and HD-DVD so MS is in a great position no matter what format wins the "war".

MS' position with VC1 is more like a great experiment......how to provide a HD experience with increasing compression standards. Its not a question of licence fees to MS from whichever HD format wins, as either one is going to have an extremely tough job replacing DVD before we all move to the next delivery standard.
    The argument that MS' involvement with HD DVD is solely to effectively still-born the latest optical formats, is actually quite a compelling argument if you've followed to format war for the last few years. It is most certainly in their interest for the mass public to move to a downloadable era and therefore bypass an optical HD age which they will possibly not have a direct level of control over. If Blu-ray prevails, the downloadable era might well be delayed with minimal licence fee involvement from MS (assuming of course VC1 continues to be the most widely used encoding standard and they also have a nominal interest in other optical fees relating to DVD)
    If HD DVD emerges as they new standard (maybe the less likely scenario), they have a direct level of involvement with the HD DVD standard, far beyond their creation of the VC1 encoders. Their relationship with Toshiba has led to a subsidized nature of the format, despite their protestations, and has also alienated the majority of the CE manufacturers such as Pioneer, Panasonic and to a lesser extent, Samsung..

But for someone like me it seems perfect. I have a 26" 720p TV, a reasonable set of speakers that doesn't support any of the fancy lossless formats and I have trouble with downloading very large files. I know alot about the alternative formats but I don't see any reason to make the extra effort to get them if I don't want to buy the film.

Actually the one good thing to come the format war has been the drastic drop in prices of both formats.....for the sake of argument, I'm going to leave out extortionate racket of the Irish and European market as, chances are, this format war is going to be settled in the US markets..
    Anyone who's been involved since both format's launches couldn't have predicated how far the cost of players has tumbled since, certainly in HD DVD and, for the last 6 months or so, Blu-ray.
    Both formats now have players under the $300 mark, and in HD DVDs case, well below that with multiple offers of 5 and 10 discs free etc etc etc........a far cry from $800-1500 only a year and a half ago..
    At that price range, they represent a great investment if you have the equipment to support them to their potential. Also, the price of high end displays, amps etc do not stand still, and more and more people are taking advantage of consumer designed kit which will allow them the experience what these formats can offer..

Everyone of course has a different opinion on the worth of the likes of the Video Marketplace, and some people will like it and some people won't..
    Its up to the individual to decide whether they like the idea of an extremely basic video service which, although it is at their fingertips, is far from immediate and in its current form, not worth it IMO compared to what is already available for people to own as their own property with a small investment..
    If you have the MS points to spare, and the time, then by all means take advantage of the service, but I would hate to think that the majority of the public will accept quality such as they're offering as the de facto HD standard..
    :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,612 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

remind me never to have a row about tellies with that bloke above..

he sounds too smart...

hes obviously a computer....obviously

Just a fan of gaming, technology and HD entertainment like the rest of you lads ;)
    The whole digital media argument is a common thread running through my hobbies so to speak

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

I can't see how this opens the future to rent only future, they could of done that with rental shops its obviously not what people want.

These may be lower bit rate than BR/HDDVD they are far from artifact riddled. Also if you scaled the file size of a 720p marketplace download up to what a 1080p would need it would be about 11gb. IIRC Batman Begins is about 12gb in size and held up as one of the great quality HD-DVD releases.

Besides the majority of people use a 720p HDTV and 5.1 set from Argos why should they avoid this? They aren't going to notice the difference at all.

they should avoid it cause it isn't even in any type of 5.1, it's in stereo...which even their bought in argos systems won't sound as good with...

way better going to the dvd store for that reason alone..

• Advertisement

Are they all stereo? I haven't heard anyone confirm if its only some that are in stereo.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

have been keeping track of it over on avforums...none so far in anything other than stereo.

dealbreaker for me..have both blu-ray and hddvd and will buy and watch once before paying for stereo rental...have invested too much in my cinema room to settle for stereo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Between this issue with the movies being in Stereo, and the Wii version of Guitar Hero only coming with Mono sound it looks like some companies have really taken a step back in time. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭JM MARCONI

I just checked the marketplace and its only the SD version thats 100 points.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭eoin2nc

How do MS get away with false advertising? It clearly says on the xbox website that the HD version is 100 points :mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

it is the HD version for 100 points, I just can't seem to download it, think live is a bit wonky at the moment

They admitted they ****ed up and the HD version will be 100 points soon.

Advertisement