Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Getting insured online?

Options
  • 19-12-2007 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

I am looking at the Hibernian website for Insurance. They say you can be covered the same day as applying, but dont they need stuff from you like the car reg papers, copy of licence etc.

This is my first time getting insurance, and I am getting a car over the Christmas period. Can I just wait until the day before I know for sure I am getting the car and apply then? And what do you have to send the Insurance company (if anything?).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Some companies will activate insurance from the application date providing you have given accurate details and you forward on all required documents within a certain period (usually a week or less) and the documents match your application. They will send out your cert/disc backdated to the application date.

Not sure it would be a great idea to drive before getting your cert on a first application just incase something is incorrect. Driving aroud without an insurance disc, particularly at this time of year with all the checks around is asking for unwanted attention and even if it through a genuine mistake or misunderstanding you really do not want to end up explaining it to a judge.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,801 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Quinn will also cover from first time with no papers required, and I believe the default start time on insurance is about 1 hour later. They don't require *anything* to be forwarded on to them afterwards. If its your very first car, very first insurance I can almost certainly guarantee that Quinn will be cheaper than Hibernian, back when I did it first they were 1300 less than Hibernian. No amount of Ignition courses brings that down...

The cert will come out quick enough that you will not need to explain it to a judge - you may need to bring it to a Garda station though. You get the policy number at the end, print that receipt out and shove it in your insurance cert holder, if you do get stopped most guards will accept that, and some may ask you to produce the cert at a station within a certain number of days - it'll have arrived by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Just make sure you fill everything in correctly. If you mess up any details and you have a problem, the insurer can claim that you broke 'good faith' and land you in trouble. They give cheap quotes by not paying out whenever possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Dug up an old thread but my friend got insured by quinn insurance on a 1.25L fiesta 99 for 2 grand. I got a quote on the internet from quinn direct for a 1.4 golf 01 for 2 grand. We are both 19, can this be right? Is it cheaper to get insurance from the internet?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Insurance companies generally give different quotes online than on the phone or in person. Sometimes online is cheaper, other times the phone quote is cheaper. Depends on what happens after they put your quote through the quote randomiser.

• Advertisement
Advertisement