Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blinkers

Options
  • 19-12-2007 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭

I've only noticed this lately, when a motorist, or in fact anyone, cyclist, pedestrian etc does something wrong, they somehow manage to avoid any form of eye contact.

The innocent cyclist is cycling along the cycle lane and a car is pulling out, their bonnet covering the lane, required one to move out into the traffic. So on the way by, one makes sure to stare at the driver who somehow always seems to find something interesting on the radio to play with, or check out the rear view, or close eyes. Anything to avoid eye contact.

One woman in particular was quite funny. She cut me off going along the clonskeagh/sandyford road. At the lights I slowed beside her and bent down to stare in at her. I was staring for around 30 seconds while she just looked fixedly ahead, no head movement. I had to start laughing, it was just so ridiculous.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭trellheim

Come on, let's head over to the Motors forum and stare at them ... they'll either do this :cool: or this :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

It's a technique motorists use to avoid the glare of loathing inevitably directed at them by the cyclist against whom they have just sinned. It's infuriating... until you realise that it's a tacit admission of guilt.
    Verb wrote: »
    I've only noticed this lately, when a motorist, or in fact anyone, cyclist, pedestrian etc does something wrong, they somehow manage to avoid any form of eye contact.

The innocent cyclist is cycling along the cycle lane and a car is pulling out, their bonnet covering the lane, required one to move out into the traffic. So on the way by, one makes sure to stare at the driver who somehow always seems to find something interesting on the radio to play with, or check out the rear view, or close eyes. Anything to avoid eye contact.

One woman in particular was quite funny. She cut me off going along the clonskeagh/sandyford road. At the lights I slowed beside her and bent down to stare in at her. I was staring for around 30 seconds while she just looked fixedly ahead, no head movement. I had to start laughing, it was just so ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclegadabout

Considering that they can't pretend not to hear you shouting, I reckon cyclists are best at doing the blinkers thing.

Advertisement