Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digiweb wireless router - connection question

Options
  • 19-12-2007 3:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41

Hi guys,

really quick question cos I'm not too clued up on all of this.........

I have Digiweb Metro Broadband and have just bought a wireless router so I can use broadband anywhere in the house. I bought a Linksys WRT54GS after reading the various threads here.

Am going to set it up tonight, my main question is.....

Do I also need to buy something like a wireless notebook adaptor to actually put into my laptop or should it just automaticaly pick up the signal from the router when it is all configured correctly. Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

yea, the linksys will automatically assign an ip to your laptop.

All you need to do is change the wifi encryption to WPA and set a decent length password.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭iTom

Well as far as I know your laptop has to have WIF OR WIF Catcher on it for it to work,I stand to be corrected on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

What the hell is WIF Catcher?

As long as there's WIFI capability on the laptop then it should connect to just about any wireless router.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

As long as you have a WiFi card in the laptop, you'll be fine. You'll know if you have a WiFi card as you'll have a shortcut on the laptop or a switch to enable it.

You might have a light that comes on when WiFi is enabled. You'll have a wireless connection option in start->Connect to->Show All Connections

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Do_nal

cheers guys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I have WiFi with WPA on my router on Metro. I was please to discover that setting up the WiFi + WPA on my Nokia phone was easier than Linux or Windows. It's great to be able to listen to R4 FM on the phone when LW has the cricket. I use Static IP (not DHCP) as it makes Portforwarding to improve Skype or for some games better. With Static you enter the address of the Router as both DNS and Gateway.

The WAN connection on Router to Metro Modem is of course DHCP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 howie2008

Hi,
    I'm having huge problems connecting any of my laptops wirelessly to a wireless router connected to the Thomson Metro Cable Broadband Modem. Is yours working ok? Any settings I should be looking at? I have tried a Netgear & Linksys N router. My adapters are G ranging from IntelPro to Realtek and Buffallo.
    Thanks

Advertisement