Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upper limits

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,849 ✭✭✭SeanW

L31mr0d wrote: »
    yeah can't really add anything onto Awhirs.

Also, we can't tell you what the safe upper limits will be as each chip is different. Also I think the problem with my QX6700 (Awhir, how do you know its a B2? I don't even know that :confused:) was my P180. I've been leaving the side off and my quad idles at 25'c, with the side panel on it was hitting 40'c idle.

also, as Awhir said, it depends on the chipset of your mobo also, i'm finding at the moment that overclocking on my 680i is far from the same walk in the park that my old 939 was. From reading around, nvidia cut a few corners to be able to offer a QDR of over 1600Mhz, being that at each strap change the NB latencies loosen so much to accommodate the higer frequency that the overclock is pointless.

i.e. you could be getting better performance at FSB499 than you are at FSB500.

What motherboard do you have?

I have te P180 myself and I agree it's not great wrt airflow.

But I did reverse the flow of the 2 fans - so that now cold air comes in from the back and the warm air goes out the front, took 5C off my core temps but added the same again to the HHD bay temps - it's a trade-off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

That seems very high, take out your chip and use a stanley blade to check if its perfectly flat, if ya see any light you'll need to lap it. Also check your cooler.

I dont trust any utility other than everest or coretemp after the trouble i had with my c2d & thermal measurement. Every utility gave a different reading. Conzy is right tho, so many different utilities, even tho i use linux, i do my ocing using windows. Just wanted a linux utiity to compare to what i know is the real temp.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    even tho i use linux, i do my ocing using windows. Just wanted a linux utiity to compare to what i know is the real temp.

Interesting. Do you have lm_sensors installed on your linux distro? if so, how does its value compare to coretemp? (the kernel module is called "coretemp"). I'm hoping it's pretty accurate. edit: You'll need a kernel >= 2.6.21 to get an accurate reading. Otherwise you're looking at a kernel patch, which is a pain in the vagina.

I've never lapped. The cpu's still under warranty, but I'm not hugely concerned about that. Though I'm sure lapping it would hurt resale value.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

Khannie wrote: »
    Interesting. Do you have lm_sensors installed on your linux distro? if so, how does its value compare to coretemp? (the kernel module is called "coretemp"). I'm hoping it's pretty accurate. edit: You'll need a kernel >= 2.6.21 to get an accurate reading. Otherwise you're looking at a kernel patch, which is a pain in the vagina.

I've never lapped. The cpu's still under warranty, but I'm not hugely concerned about that. Though I'm sure lapping it would hurt resale value.

could increase it if people know what you are talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Chosen

Khannie wrote: »
    Though I'm sure lapping it would hurt resale value.

"Resale value"? That's a €210 chip that in January will be a b-option, after the $200 Yorkfields...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

Chosen wrote: »
    "Resale value"? That's a €210 chip that in January will be a b-option, after the $200 Yorkfields...

well it might be FEb since Intel have Delayed there realese.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

I usually use Coretemp and uGuru and get an average... But they usually agree..

Khannie i wasnt making a stab at linux.. even on windows different temp monitoring apps have big discrepancies so its good to check temperature with as many sources as possible.

Is the HSF warm to touch? My ninja is still cool at 60 degrees under full load

conzymaher wrote: »
    Khannie i wasnt making a stab at linux..

Ah, sure I was only slaggin' ye. :D

even on windows different temp monitoring apps have big discrepancies so its good to check temperature with as many sources as possible.

There is only really one linux tool, since the values come from the kernel there's not much point in doing it any other way (it's called lm_sensors). It takes the values from the chip directly so I'd assume it's right.
    Is the HSF warm to touch? My ninja is still cool at 60 degrees under full load

Seems cool. Warmth would be a good indication to me though (that heat was being transferred properly).

How does your idle temps compare to that given in the bios.

Not tried any linux sensor utilities as i spend most of the time lately on lappy, will have a go over xmas & let ya kno how the temps compare, much too busy atm

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    How does your idle temps compare to that given in the bios.

Stupidly hadn't thought of that. I'll check it this evening. Didn't get a chance to reseat the HSF over christmas. :( Prolly this weekend.

• Advertisement

Actually, core temp in linux is spot on 4 me as my rig runs cooler in linux, I know this cos i have a temp probe from a fan controller i attached to the socket myself & it always shows a degree or 2 lower in linux than Vista.
    colm@l33t-str33t-PC:~$ sensors
    coretemp-isa-0000
    Adapter: ISA adapter
    Core 0: +42°C (high = +100°C)

coretemp-isa-0001
    Core 1: +39°C (high = +100°C)

coretemp-isa-0002
    Core 2: +38°C (high = +100°C)

coretemp-isa-0003
    Core 3: +38°C (high = +100°C)

colm@l33t-str33t-PC:~$

Thanks. I checked in the bios...it's bang on for me too. Unfortunately it's telling me that the higher number is correct (currently 45-49C idle) so the HSF does definitely need a reseat. Pain in my fungina.

Well....I bought some of the washers that were featured in the original mod that chosen linked to all those moons ago. Took off the hsf, the arctic was pretty uneven. Not entirely sure how that happened tbh. Anyway....Stuck on the new washers + new arctic, now idling at around 34-35. Sexy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

link ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

1.55V here e6420 24/7 F@h
    425fsb
    3.4Ghz
    idle @ 21*
    load@ 40*
    Watercooled Setup.

love to get my hands on a quad :( maybe for ma birthday

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭unseen

Here is a good one q6600.
    Still on air. To me snm 1.9.1 is the best for test quads stability. I am seeing over 10c degrees hotter temps than in orthos,prime,occt etc.
    3600zy7.jpg

Anti wrote: »
    link ?

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=2057997&postcount=128

I used only one washer below and one above (for each screw obviously). Mine look about the same thickness as these ones. They weren't cheap so I wasn't going to use as many as this punter, but they worked a treat. Now idling at 33C running at 2.7GHz which I think is very nice indeed.

Stupid bios has stopped allowing me to change vcore for some reason. Once I get that sorted I'll push it a bit and see what I get.

Advertisement