Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's wrong with my connection?

Options
  • 19-12-2007 3:58pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've got a 2mb connection with BT and am using a Zyxel Prestige 600 modem (attached to a Netgear wireless router).

I've noticed from time to time (not just recently) that the connection has a tendency to collapse when I'm downloading stuff (torrents, via uTorrent) and just completely cut out - the only solution being to reset the modem.

It doesn't happen all the time - I've often had the connection going for hours when it's downloading at close to 200kb/s constantly with no issue (other than the connection being slow elsewhere, which is bound to happen). But other times the dl speed starts to climb up over 100kb/s and next thing I know it cuts out.

So is this my modem (I've had it since I first got BB and that was back when it was a 512kb connection) or is it BT cutting me off if they feel like I'm hogging too much of the line? I would have thought this was possible but the cut offs never seem to happen with any consistency and often occur at some point overnight when I would have thought there'd be little traffic and less need to make space etc.

Basically, do I need to find a contention free provider, a new modem or do I just need to keep my downloading limited to some particular number?!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

You need to eliminate possible causes as much as possible , first try run a temporary cable direct to the modem , if you still have a problem it is either your pc, the modem or your line/isp . Borrow a modem and use a different pc and you then have it down to the line or isp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭admol

Shaping is one thing but i've never known a isp to cut you off like that(tho i wouldn't be surprised).

Sounds like a pc/modem problem and you only notice it when downloading.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

admol wrote: »
    Shaping is one thing but i've never known a isp to cut you off like that(tho i wouldn't be surprised).

Sounds like a pc/modem problem and you only notice it when downloading.

My thinking has been it's a modem issue and it simply can't handle too much data going through (maybe it wasn't built for the speed it's now using, maybe it's just worn out?!) but I'm not sure if that would even make sense.

I can't say if it cuts out when the torrents hit a certain speed - I usually only leave things downloading when I'm not using the PC so I don't really see what the transfers are like... I have seen it get up to 190 and even 200+ without any problem and as I said, it's not something that happens every time, just some times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

flogen wrote: »
    My thinking has been it's a modem issue and it simply can't handle too much data going through (maybe it wasn't built for the speed it's now using, maybe it's just worn out?!) but I'm not sure if that would even make sense.

I can't say if it cuts out when the torrents hit a certain speed - I usually only leave things downloading when I'm not using the PC so I don't really see what the transfers are like... I have seen it get up to 190 and even 200+ without any problem and as I said, it's not something that happens every time, just some times.

Just a thought, but have you checked your usage for this month? maybe you have exceeded and you might be getting cut by BT for this?

The only other option i would suggest is connect the zykel to computer hard-wireded and try download a file and see if it still cuts you off. It could be just the modem neededs to be replaced.

Advertisement