Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin European Support Useless?

Options
  • 19-12-2007 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭

Was just onto them there.

When the North american 2008 updates came out earlier this year in my account i had an option under upgrades "You are eligilbe for a free update to City Navigator North America 2008 maps" (wording to that effect anyways). So i clicked and filled in all the information for shipping etc. the order was placed (i didnt notice or take down the order number - silly me) so anyways never received an email (order confirmation) or the DVD in the post. Called tyhem up there today and his tone was "updates are NEVER free" and i got fed up with him and gave up. He was as useful as a real nun in a strip club.

Its not like i need the maps for the US but if you offer them to me free, give them to me please.

Last time i contacted them about it on Dec 6th i got:

"We are currently out of stock of the update disc. They are on there way
    to us at the moment as soon as we get them in one will be sent to you."

Starting to think the UK support is useless, US is so much better but in this case they cannot help :(.

Edit:
    How can i find out if my unit was due the free update? It was registered on May 30th, i thought it was unusual i was offered the update.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 ioshmearse

I also found Garmin Europe to be useless. I bought a US SD map via Garmin US's website, had it delivered to the US and couriered to Ireland- it worked out 100 euro cheaper. It didnt work, I contacted Garmin UK by phone and the person I talked to said they could sort it out. He told me to post the faulty card to him personally, and he would courier a replacement to a US address as my flight to the US was in one week. I asked him if I needed a log number and he said no. No replacement ever arrived at the agreed address. When I returned 2 weeks later I contacted Garmin in the UK and was told that I could only deal with the employee who took my original call. He never returned my call I rang every day and only got to talk to him when he happened to take my call. He never received the faulty card and because I posted it there was no proof of delivery. 3 weeks later and many phone calls, I received the faulty card by post with a letter from Garmin UK that thsy could not process the complaint because there was no log number - muppet should have given it to me. They post it to me and said I should have couriered it to them.

Another 2 days trying to contact my personal garmin contact and told him that Garmin should pay for the faulty card to be couriered back to the UK. It took a week for him to get permission and another week for him to arrange a courier.

A replacement card was couriered back to me 6 weeks later. This took almost 3 months to resolve. Maybe I got stuck with the only incompetant in Garmin UK but at least three of their staff told me I could only deal with the original employee who took my call and there was never a supervisor available when I asked, not did one return my call when I asked.

I deal with repair engineers from various EU countries on the phone every day and not once have come across anything similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

I called US support and he basically said the person must be thick in the UK he can see im due the free update on his system.

So i called UK back and was talking to another guy who said yeah you should be getting the update soon, there was a delay getting the DVD's from the US but they got them and there is a backlog to fill so i can expect it in early Jan. He was SO much better to deal with.

Advertisement