Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Should I appeal

Options
  • 19-12-2007 4:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Probably advisable

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Dr.Millah

The best outcome of appealing is you get to do your test for free the next time as far as i know. Sorry to hear about you failing

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭aniascor

When the directions were unclear, did you ask the tester to clarify or repeat them? It seems strange that the directions would be unclear, because they have a standardised way of issuing directions. Did you do any pre-tests beforehand? Your instructor should have given you plenty of examples of the types of instruction you would receive from the tester.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 johnnyirish

Probably advisable

That does sound really strange. I assume from your description that the roundabout only had two exits (not counting the road you approached from) - one to the left and one to the right?
    If that's the case then it does sound like it's worth an appeal. It's not much consolation, but at least your re-test is free, and you can probably push for a quick re-test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

The tester does have total control because there's not really any other way to do it, at present. By all means appeal but as pointed out, succeeding only means that you will get a new test free of charge, not that your result can be changed to a pass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

so he said "second exit" and pointed to the first?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 johnnyirish

Probably advisable

But did he not give you directions before entering the roundabout?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Is it against the testing rules to video tape the test?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

I was coming onto a rounabout passing two side streets and was told at the roundabout take the second exit.
    Off I went got myself into position on the roundabout, half way around he tells me “Second exit, straight”.
    Indicating that he actually wanted me to take the first exit on the roundabout to the left (Which is not the second exit).
    So I’m hugging the roundabout trying to get back across left, fairly unhappy with him and
    Double Grade three fault, firstly for Position and secondly for observation (as by this point there was a car coming up my left hand side, and he told me he wanted me in left hand lane.).
    Had a pre-test hour before and flew it, got four grade twos on the entire thing bang, given ludicrous directions on the rounabout and here I am waiting another few months to sit it!
    Cannot believe there is no proper appeal process with this, all they can do is order a re-test!
    Tester’s seem to have total control over this.:mad:

Position: He told you to take the second exit, you most likely should have been in the left lane not the right.

Observation: Even if he prompted you to cut across another car you shouldn't have done it. First priority must be to drive safely no matter what.

Yes it is unfair that your fault(s) were the result of bad directions from the tester but once you had done something dangerous there is no way you could have passed.

If a driver mis-hears or ignores a route direction given then the tester should NOT try and correct him mid-manouvre unless there is a safety concern. He should have waited until you were off the roundabout before trying to re-route you.

IMO qualified licenced instructors (when we get them) should be allowed sit in on driving tests to at least give some sort of useable feedback on the performance of testers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement