Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Silent power supplies ie fan free

Options
  • 19-12-2007 4:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭

what wattage are these bad boys upto these days, just had a look at my power supply and am surprised to find it's only a 400 watt - a northque nq-4001al, I thought it was a lot higher than that but that can only be good, I'm sure there are 400 watt fan free power supplies out there, where's a good place to buy ? , I see Komplett don't even have a power supply section

Are these perfectly safe by the way ?, I don't want to burn my house down

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Komplett has a rather large power supply section actually...
    [edit]Something like this might be what you're looking for?

Things wouldn't be sold unless they were safe. But you wouldn't want to be putting 8800 video cards into it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

zalman do up to 600w fanless. And they are completly safe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

i have an 8800gt a q6700 dvd drive + 3 hard drives, never had any problems with power from my current 400 watt supply so I's guess a fanless would be ok too, had a look through the komplett list and none appear to be fanless, guess i'll hit google :)

cheers anti, i'll go find a seller

well had a good look through komplett, they actually have loads of power supplies, they only had one fanless one though, this one here
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=326769
    might pick one up if I can't find anything better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

MooseJam wrote: »
    what wattage are these bad boys upto these days, just had a look at my power supply and am surprised to find it's only a 400 watt - a northque nq-4001al, I thought it was a lot higher than that but that can only be good, I'm sure there are 400 watt fan free power supplies out there, where's a good place to buy ? , I see Komplett don't even have a power supply section

Are these perfectly safe by the way ?, I don't want to burn my house down

you could just buy a good seasonic or corsair brand PSU which are very quiet and you won't notice them over the noise of your gfx card, cpu cooler etc...

uberpixie wrote: »
    you could just buy a good seasonic or corsair brand PSU which are very quiet and you won't notice them over the noise of your gfx card, cpu cooler etc...

have you got one yourself ? haven't heard corsair mentioned myself with regards to silent powersupplies, my current NorthQ is all I can hear at the moment, can't hear cpu or gfx coolers at all, it's not a head wrecker at all though, quite a pleasant humm but just thought I'd eliminate it

have you got one yourself ? haven't heard corsair mentioned myself with regards to silent powersupplies, my current NorthQ is all I can hear at the moment, can't hear cpu or gfx coolers at all, it's not a head wrecker at all though, quite a pleasant humm but just thought I'd eliminate it

Have a seasonic 600W non modular PSU in an Antec P180, the PSU is one of the quietest parts in my case.

Seasonic make Corsair branded modular PSu units, from what I hear they are the best modular PSUs that seasonic make.

They are good quality quiet PSUs.

What case do you have moosejam?

I have a NorthQ see through case

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=316033

I have a NorthQ see through case

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=316033

Right, noise in general is going to be a pain so: you have very thin walls on the case with nothing to muffle it.

Compare this to an Antec p180 which has case doors of two layers of aluminum with a layer of plastic between them to muffle sound....

Case always has a huge impact on noise levels.

Def replace the PSU if you can, north Q are muck.

After that replace any case fans with quieter ones.

Then the next loudest part becomes the pain in the arse :-)

• Advertisement

uberpixie wrote: »
    Def replace the PSU if you can, north Q are muck.

lol, North Q was the only fanless powersupply available on Komplett, I was probably going to buy this one http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=326769

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

since OCZ bought PC Power and stuff, I belive it's a good idea to go for one of theirs PSUs or even try to find the PCP one.

seasonic 430W is VERY quiet too.

or you can go for fanless antec, you can get it on dabs.ie below e100

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

620w seasonic one i have is completly silent, and the fan is temp monitored too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

fl4pj4ck wrote: »
    since OCZ bought PC Power and stuff, I belive it's a good idea to go for one of theirs PSUs or even try to find the PCP one.

seasonic 430W is VERY quiet too.

or you can go for fanless antec, you can get it on dabs.ie below e100

ever since oCz bought pcp they have gone down hill,

seasonic ftw :) they build crosairs also ;)

antecs are also made by seasonic but they would be lower end then croasairs or actuall m12's

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I have a Corsair 520W in a LianLi PC7 and it is nearly silent, fantastic PSU.

Steer clear of NorthQ!

well I've had a good look around and I'm either going to get
    the corsair 450 watt € 84.00 http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=338686 or
    the corsair 520 watt € 122.00 http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=327671

450 watts is plenty for me but the 520 has modular cabling which I'd fancy, the price difference is a lot though, 35 euro extra for modular cabling , it might not be worth it but I'll probably go for it

Advertisement