Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lossing hair

Options
  • 19-12-2007 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

my cat is 3yrs old (male) and has started lossing hair on the inside of his back legs. he's not a fighter so i cant put it down to fights with other cats. has anyone any idea what this could be from and if its serious? He gets his flea drops regularly. please any advice welcome......

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭lurchin along

If the skin looks inflamed or red then it could be an allergy.Is the hair thinning or is it bald in patches?If it's missing in smallish round spots and the skin looks crusty he has ringworm and needs to get to the vet pronto as this spreads to people!
    If the hair is thinning it's probably hormonal.Neuter him if he's not already and if he is neutered a homoepathic remedy might be best-hit the library for info on the correct remedy.They work wonders but it's against the law for me to tell you which one to use as I'm not a vet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

There are plenty of physiological reasons why he could lose his hair but it may also be stress related. Cats often overgroom themselves if they are anxious or stressed as they associate grooming with comfort. If you haven't seen him act in this way then it may be anything from hormones, food allergy (have you changed the brand) to a type of parasite such as ringworm, ticks etc. Either way it may be worth a trip to the vet. You don't want him to not be his best for the Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭diamondp

thanks a mil. straight to vet this evening so. he is neutered and i havent noticed him over grooming. thanks for the advice.

Advertisement