Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Screamers

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

The ultimate comeback to drivers who give abuse it to remain ultimately calm if you manage to catch up with them and nicely ask what the problem is, while being slightly apolgetic. When they let relax a little, you whip the keys from the car and cycle off with them...or throw them away if he's chasing you on foot. I'm still waiting for the opportunity to see that one through.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

I haven't looked at this for a couple of days, and there are some hair-raising moments in there. Thinking about this over the last few weeks, I'm trying to keep to a new mantra; Don't engage with the rage. Happy and peaceful Christmas to you all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 infinity&beyond

a few months ago i was cycling (in the cycle lane) up towards stillorgan. out of the blue a football whizzed by my face - missed me by inches! i got a real fright as i could have been knocked onto the road and into the path of a bus passing me at that very moment. the ball came from a break in the wall to my left and i wasn't sure if someone had done it on purpose or not, but i doubled back and waited for them to collect their ball. after 10 or 20 secs (delay = guilty?) two young lads (12-15?) came out from behind the wall and got the fright of their life as i launched a verbal assault on them.

i still feel a little guilt for lashing out at them as i don't know if they were trying to hit me. plus my wife gave out to me when i told her the story!!

as for shouters, i've had that a couple of times from passing cars. it's really unnerving and could easily cause an accident. it makes me really mad, but i rarely get to catch them. i always imagine what i'll do when i catch them, my "favourite thought" is to turn their passenger mirror out....not so i'll damage it, but so they'll have to get out of the car and put it back to it's correct position. basically inconvenience them.

my brother told me a funny shouter story. he was cycling along, got sprayed by a car's windscreen thingy. he caught up with them at a set of lights. the car had one of those "no fear" (clothes brand) stickers on the back. the driver had his window open, so my brother rode up on his outside and roared in his window. the guy almost shat himself. my brother roars at him "I thought you had no fear". the joke was probably lost on him, but the bro was really pleased with himself. :D

on a somewhat related topic. reading over this thread has reminded me of when i was younger, probably 10 or so. when it snowed and we got bored pelting each other with snowballs, the thing to do in our area was to go to the main road, make a pile of snowballs and then ambush any passing buses. we weren't trying to do damage, just have a laugh. as a grown up i am totally embarrassed!! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

niceonetom wrote: »
    cute little squirrel ... lightening dash at the very last moment ... timed his run, apparently trying to go between my wheels.
    They seem to do this all right; sometimes they succeed:

squirrel_disc_small.jpg
    squirrel1.jpgsquirrel2.jpg

from http://www.joeydurango.com/pixpages/squirrelpage.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

blorg wrote: »
    They seem to do this all right; sometimes they succeed:

ugh, that's horrific

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Sean_K wrote: »
    ugh, that's horrific
    Sorry, this might make you feel better:

squirrel.jpg

No-one likes to see squirrels mangled in bike wheels but bear in mind that cars produce more common road-kill and that these squirrels were not killed without corresponding injury to the cyclists. I see these squirrels sort of like someone who commits suicide by jumping off a building to land on top of someone, etc. Very inconsiderate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Yea, in a car it's not as bad for the driver than on a bike. At lease in a car, it's unlikely that the animals will be shredded in the brake-discs!

Stupid squirrels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭PeadarofAodh

I was on my way back from Blessington cycling through Terenure noticed a bunch of about 10 skater-boy kids in their teens giving abuse to a cyclist passing them at walking pace so I sped up, got really close to the kerb while their backs were turned and absolutely screamed at the highest pitch my manly voice could manage.

One of them actually fell over the kerb in shock...cycled away pissing myself with laughter!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I was on my way back from Blessington cycling through Terenure noticed a bunch of about 10 skater-boy kids in their teens giving abuse to a cyclist passing them at walking pace so I sped up, got really close to the kerb while their backs were turned and absolutely screamed at the highest pitch my manly voice could manage.

One of them actually fell over the kerb in shock...cycled away pissing myself with laughter!

Revenge is sweet,

Advertisement