Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your favourite thing about Meath

Options
  • 19-12-2007 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭

So what would you consider your favourite thing about Co Meath?

For me, I think I have to say the history, generally, but in particular Newgrange. Everytime I visit that place and stand in the centre of that tomb, it amazes me to think of the millennia that have passed since it was built.
    Even recently, I was reading about the ancient wonders of the world, and on the timeline, Newgrange appeared so far back beyond eved the pyramids. Its nice to think we have such an ancient structure so near by.

So what in particular do you like about good old Meath?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭mickrourke

Favourite thing, eh, well, I must agree with you archeron, I love the archaeology all around but especially like the high crosses and monastice settlements

But also the love for the GAA, the green and gold flag and the way we pronounce 'book' that is sooooo funny to everyone else

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭K_P

As a Kerrywoman exiled in Meath, it's nice to be in a GAA-loving green-and-gold-wearing county... just as long as Meath don't start to win stuff or anything crazy like that.

I agree with the history. Newgrange is simply breathtaking.

I really feel like I have the best of both worlds living in Meath. Dublin City Centre is 30 mins away (traffic permitting) but I still get to live in a small town where pretty much everything is within walking distance. When I wake up in the morning all I hear are birds singing and all I see are fields... until some developer plonks 14 storey apartments in said field. But for now it's lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

The beautiful beaches of laytown, bettystown and mornington....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Everywhere you look, there is a bit of history. Football is huge as well, played a big part in my life as a lad (probably in most of yeres as well). I sure do miss going off for a drive to Loughcrew for a walk around the gardens and then up to the cairns. Fascinating that we have some of the oldest history in the world in our backyard. Ah need to get home for a while soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Irishbee

Friendly faces and people who are always willing to help you out, or even offer advice..whether you want it or not.

That slower pace of life that is sometimes infuriating.

When you actually KNOW ppl that make their own bread, scones, beer etc.... YOU CAN'T BEAT THAT!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

The new roads and motorways - because you get get through it quicker

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

The proximity to Dublin is a bonus, particularly for the airport.
    Also Navan is not a bad town to shop in, there are worse!

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭cue

As rivers go, the Boyne is pretty good. Otherwise all our bridges would look stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Would have to agree with most of ye... it the history of the area...

But, Meath does need to pull itself together and continue to upgrade it infrastructure!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

The new roads and motorways - because you get get through it quicker

Couldn't agree more, the N2 is excellent for getting away from Navan.

Although in fairness +1 for Newgrange/Boyne Valley, but I nearly associate it in my mind with Louth as its on the way to Drogheda.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

As a Dub exiled in Meath, I love getting up in the morning and looking out on rolling hills, cows, sheep and horses.

The people are much friendlier. Everything you need in terms of shopping is there in Ashbourne without the usual scrum you get in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭Archeron

I first read the above post as saying "looking out the window and seeing cows and sheep rolling down hills". Was wondering what part of Meath you live in. :)

Ashbourne does have a nice choice of shops alright, I wish some of the other towns would catch up in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Archeron wrote: »
    I first read the above post as saying "looking out the window and seeing cows and sheep rolling down hills". Was wondering what part of Meath you live in. :)
    Well, I didn't say the cows and sheep were rolling down the hills! I just said the hills were rolling. I live in East Meath.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

Hey Dunshaughlin has one pub for every 600 people in the town which isn't bad (if you like that sort of thing).

Tis also much quieter than Dublin even on Halloween night which is a good thing in my book.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭heffo9

I'm in the same boat DublinWriter, been living in Navan for the past 5 years.
    Its 1 of the fastest growing towns in Ireland and has everything you could possibly need in regards to shops,restaurants and pubs.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

The best thing about Meath is the view of it that you get from the rearview mirror of your car as you are leaving the place at high speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭heffo9

From your post in http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=54869604#post54869604
    maybe you should keep your eyes in front of you when driving dr.bollocko. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

heffo9 wrote: »
    From your post in http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=54869604#post54869604
    maybe you should keep your eyes in front of you when driving dr.bollocko. :)

:D:D:D

Brilliant!!!

AH! WATCH OUT - DOG!!! :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,885 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

best thing about meath is its proximity to Dublin and the airport.
    Beachs are nice as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Ruu wrote: »
    Everywhere you look, there is a bit of history. Football is huge as well, played a big part in my life as a lad (probably in most of yeres as well). I sure do miss going off for a drive to Loughcrew for a walk around the gardens and then up to the cairns. Fascinating that we have some of the oldest history in the world in our backyard. Ah need to get home for a while soon.

Well I decided it was time to visit Loughcrew yesterday and it was great. I loved the place. I preferred it over Newgrange and the scenery was amazing once on top of the hill.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Ula

I'm tourist from Poland.I've heard a lot about Newgrange and I want to visit this place.How can I get there from Navan?Is there any bus?What other places are worth visiting??(Kells?) x:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Black velvit

Ula wrote: »
    I'm tourist from Poland.I've heard a lot about Newgrange and I want to visit this place.How can I get there from Navan?Is there any bus?What other places are worth visiting??(Kells?) x:D

Kells is a beautiful part of the county with some great history, the book of kells can be viewed in Trinity collage in Dublin.
    Newegrange is about 20 mins from navan and busses are available, contact the tourist office or ring newgrange.
    the area of Kells used yo be occupied by the Headfort family and the history of the family is evedant throughout the town including thier old residents which is now on the Headfort golf club, you may have noticed what looks like a lighthouse on the top of the hill outside Kells on the way to Verginia, AFAIK this was built by the Earl of Headfort in memory of his father, this is in the peoples park and would be worth a look, entrance is on the oldcastle road. Bective Abby isnt far from navan and is an amazing ruin of an old castle. Trim castle is also well worth a visit and is restored to its former glory and tours can be organised daily. Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Argesean

thing about Meath

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Argesean

I'd say there is little else besides great scenery and history.
    Shopping-there are more speculators than skilled merchants.
    Social life-fairly poor unless all you love is the pub. Not enough places for young people to gather. No decent pizzerias and poor diversity of ethnic restaurants.
    It should be great for farmers who are from Meath and generally Meath natives. But those moving from Dublin and flying the Dublin flag wherever they could post it should get accustomed to the word yappies." ... Start where I finished and to Meath god bless!"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Argesean wrote: »
    I'd say there is little else besides great scenery and history.
    Shopping-there are more speculators than skilled merchants.
    Social life-fairly poor unless all you love is the pub. Not enough places for young people to gather. No decent pizzerias and poor diversity of ethnic restaurants.
    It should be great for farmers who are from Meath and generally Meath natives. But those moving from Dublin and flying the Dublin flag wherever they could post it should get accustomed to the word yappies." ... Start where I finished and to Meath god bless!"

This is not so for the whole of meath,maybe where you are in Kells, you should have posted in Your least favourite thing about meath, i lived in Dublin for 18 years and the rest in Meath, would never even concider moving back to Dublin, not because of house prices but "twichy curtains" if ye know what i mean;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

The Boyne Valley. The history. The scenery. The craic. The football. The convenience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Meath999

Been moved to Meath about 2 years ago from dublin, never looked back, meath has a lot of pluses and the top one is that it has very low crime rate and its v peaceful (relatively). May GOD keep it that way, and I wish I could banish all the builders and keep the fields ...................

Advertisement