Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips on getting a juicy roast beef please

• 19-12-2007 6:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭

I have a round roast, have cooked one or 2 in the past, I like it very well done on the outside not fussy if inside is well done or medium/rare. I usually cut it up to get lots of "outside bits", but it can go dry.

Any tips on cooking would be welcome, wrapping to keep moisture in, taking tinfoil off to brown etc. It is around 1kg, and my oven has no heat setting but can get way hotter than most.

In one thread somebody boiled and then roasted, is this a good option?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

try using a roasting bag :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

45 minutes in the oven. 20 minutes at the highest setting. 25 minutes at 190degrees c. Rest loosely covered with foil for 20 minutes. Brown it on the outside in a pan first if you want a richer finish.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I like mine well done, so I boil it for around 20 minutes then roast for the rest of the time. Don't cover it. It goes nice and sticky on the outside but stays very moist right throught to the centre. This works especially well for the smaller joints that dry up.
    It's no good if you want it rare or medium.
    I then freeze any leftovers in a ziploc bag with extra gravy, and it's still yummy when defrosted and heated. It's worth buying a bigger joint to do this so you can have handy roast beef another time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Cheers. I will try the boiling this time. I like it sticky on the outside.

I perfer it cooked to the core, I dont mind it being medium rare if it meant juicy, so this boiling sounds good. I saw nigella on TV soaking turkey overnight in water to keep it juicy.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭ciog52

First brown the outside of the joint in a frying pan, use a roasting bag to roast it. Try adding a tablespoon or two of beef stock(not cubes) and put some lightly fried onion under the joint. Works a treat and you can make a lovely gravy with the juices. The joint is naturally dry but your gravy will fix this.. Another trick is to marinade it first with some olive oil, thyme and crushed garlic. You can put it in the roasting bag with the marinade and leave it to marinade overnight. Then fry the meat as above

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I pour a cup of water over it before roasting. Then in at 210 for 20 mins to get the roasting going then gradually reduce it to 175 for the rest of it.

Another option is to baste it with Olive Oil before roasting.

Advertisement