Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your least favourite thing about Meath.

Options
  • 19-12-2007 6:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭

Just to counter the happier thread about your favourite thing :)

So what is it about this fine county that bugs you?
    For myself, first and foremost, it would be infrastructure. Without going into boring details (thats in another thread up here already), I do feel that the roads, signs, bridges etc are all in a horrible state of repair across the county. In typical famine or feast style, while we have no regional roads worth driving on, we seem to have motorways crossing the landscape at every corner. Is there no happy medium?
    I was amused to note that there is a small section of foothpath being built on the main street in Trim (measuring about 20 x 20 foot) facing the courthouse. I watched them mixing sand for that about 4 months ago, and when I drove by the other day, they were still laying blocks. Now THATS council money well spent.....and it only took 4 people to do it too.
    So what annoys you about Meath that you would like to see improved?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭mickrourke

Least favourite things, er, well the roads have been well documented as rubbish (traffic jams into Dun Shauglin), erm, Nobber, er Tommy Tiernan, Lord Wellington (just because of the 'just because you were born in a barn doesn't make you a horse' comment), Moynalty Steam Threshing and being from Meath means that when you go out on the tear (is that Meath Slang?) even in a major city, New York, London, wherever, you always, always come home covered in muck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Hector, ta me anseo, ta me ansin! Don't bother coming back! :p Too many houses stacked ontop of each other and it is still not enough, even in little Oldcastle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

Worst thing about Meath = too many Knackers..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭Archeron

Ruu wrote: »
    Hector, ta me anseo, ta me ansin! Don't bother coming back! :p Too many houses stacked ontop of each other and it is still not enough, even in little Oldcastle.

Oh God, Hector. I forgot about him. Definitely the most annoying person from Meath imo.

LET YOURSELF GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. (no, feck off!)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

mickrourke wrote: »
    Moynalty Steam Threshing

Intriguing! Need to know more about what makes "the Threshing" get a vote of no confidence.

My least favourite thing will be the 400kV power line and pylons, if they get the go ahead.

• Advertisement

DMC wrote: »
    Intriguing! Need to know more about what makes "the Threshing" get a vote of no confidence.

My least favourite thing will be the 400kV power line and pylons, if they get the go ahead.

I havent heard much about that. I have seen the signs in Dunderry, and lately in Trim with pictures of pylons digging holes, which I must admit confused me a bit.
    What is the issue that people are concerned by?

Archeron wrote: »
    I havent heard much about that. I have seen the signs in Dunderry, and lately in Trim with pictures of pylons digging holes, which I must admit confused me a bit.
    What is the issue that people are concerned by?

The effects of electromagnetic radiation would have on kids. I certainly wouldn't like to live under one, but I could end up living close to one. "the pylons digging holes" is to indicate that the campaign understands the need for extra power in the region, but put it underground. The M3 is being dug at present. I'm surprised there hasn't been a thread here about it, considering the amount of publicity this has got on local radio, newspapers and all the public meetings around the routes of the proposed pylons.

www.pylonpressure.ie has all the info, and Eirgrid has all the maps.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭mickrourke

DMC wrote: »

It's a crappy festival, think on at the bank holiday weekend in August and it is basically a fairyhouse market with very little of the Steam powered hay threshing going on. I spent many crap days there when i was knee high to a grass hopper.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

every county has to suffer from them awfull steam thrashings every year anyway so its not just a meath thing.

Tommy Tiernan and Hector are really annoying people and I wish they would go away, neither of them were ever even funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Irishbee

OK...so it's gotta be trucks and more trucks...all driving through Kells...I HATE IT...and every other place in Meath I'm sure. Then it's yummy mummies and their huge cars...on mobile phones...parking badly...and in any thinkable spot (that the average person wouldn't dare to even think about).

2nd.....narrow mind eejits!!!!

:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Irishbee

It's a crappy festival, think on at the bank holiday weekend in August and it is basically a fairyhouse market with very little of the Steam powered hay threshing going on. I spent many crap days there when i was knee high to a grass hopper.

Count yourself lucky that you were part and parcel of such wonderful memories when you were knee high to a grasshopper. Some ppl have never even had the opportunity to attend a hay threshing and all the goings on....and I'm being honest here...ME!!!!! Sad....promising myself to attend the very next one I set my eyes on!

Heh. I've been promising myself I'd go to the pig roasting festival for years, and I still havent made it.

Its almost always the 2nd Sunday in August, never the BH weekend. I would agree that its not to everyones taste. Of the thousands that do go to it, I'm sure there are more than a few people who don't like it. There are bound to be people who don't enjoy it.

_that_said, I'm a local and I enjoy it. :) I do recommend to Archeron the pig being roasted on the spit, as opposed to what English footballers get up to....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

Was at one years ago, i enjoyed it,
    The roast pig was delicious, the year i went there were a g ood few antique retro cars, including a DeLorean, and an Aston Martin from early bond films.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭cue

The hill of tara. Forget the m3 debate. As an attraction its dull. Probably it has some interest historically and Midsummer is always good for a crowd wandering about but tbh it leaves me cold. I have been in banking establishments with more spirit about them. Its a big field with a view of more fields. Yes, it has some mounds and circular lumps. Whoop-de-doo if you are four and you like rolling down sheep dung hills. Nice coffee though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

OOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHH! Where do i start! - what my least fav things about meath is.....

Navan town council laying new roads and then letting Eircom/NTL dig them up one month later to lay more cables.

People who constantly run red lights at the fire station and flower hill - YE KNOW WHO YE ARE!

Horsey people... who drive landcruisers and pejeros who have airbrushed pictures of horses on their spare wheel covers!

:mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

Lack of a decent bus service to Dublin (or even let's say from Dunshaughlin to Ratoath or Ashbourne).

I know they've recently brought in a new route but those buses like the regular 109 are few and far between.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭tubos

Worst thing about Meath is the Post service. I lived in Ashbourne and whenever a parcel would arrive for me I'd have to collect it from Dushaughlin, on a Saturday between 9.30 and 10.30 :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Darren R

tubos wrote: »
    Worst thing about Meath is the Post service. I lived in Ashbourne and whenever a parcel would arrive for me I'd have to collect it from Dushaughlin, on a Saturday between 9.30 and 10.30 :mad:

Have to agree with you on that one.Got some really cool new years decorations sent from the States...........They arrived today

We used to have a similar problem. For about a year we would only get post once a week.
    Because the sorting office is spitting distance from my house I used to go and collect the post rather than wait for it to be deilivered, one day I asked one of the guys there what the story was and he said someone had retired, hadn't been replaced and the only time we would get post is when someone wanted the overtime.

That has improved over the last few months though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Bad infrastructure - roads are in a state, really bad signage everywhere.
    Dirt - Streets are filthy in many villages and towns.
    Lack of Public Transport - Meath is one of the worst served countys in Ireland and being right next to Dublin this is a disgrace.
    Navan Accent - I cant stand it
    Dunshaughlin - why is it impossible to get a decent restaurant in it/near it??
    Knackers - far to many of them

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Graham the wife beater...

I cheered when he got punched in the head by the Aussies in the International rules

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 redstar

Roads are worse than 3rd world. Once saw a documentary about a poor village in Nigeria. The road and footpath were in much better state than those around Trim and Navan.

Crap drivers; Tailgating regardless of weather or visibilty, speeding, overtaking at dangerous bends, especially on secondary roads. This is just BAD DRIVING, not skillful or 'cool'.

No Navan rail link. Rubbish planning means somewhere like Kilcock has a service but Navan hasn't.

Gonzo wrote: »
    Dunshaughlin - why is it impossible to get a decent restaurant in it/near it??

I've noticed that too, even the chinese take aways are both complete and utter muck, that's why I go for Tsangs in clonee they have a restaurant and takeaway and do the very best curry known to man. There's also a nice steakhouse in Ratoath (can't think of the name though).

Has anyone noticed this supposed improved bus service (109) that we're supposed to have since the sart of January. Seems the exact same to me just more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Kate253

cue wrote: »
    The hill of tara. Forget the m3 debate. As an attraction its dull. Probably it has some interest historically and Midsummer is always good for a crowd wandering about but tbh it leaves me cold. I have been in banking establishments with more spirit about them. Its a big field with a view of more fields. Yes, it has some mounds and circular lumps. Whoop-de-doo if you are four and you like rolling down sheep dung hills. Nice coffee though.

ah, now don't begrudge the poor 4 y.olds. my nieces and nephews have craic unlimited doing that very same thing and it gets me off my lazy ass running after them....not to be knocked!

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Kate253

but apart from agreeing with pretty much all of the above, the lack of decent films in navan drives me MAD! why oh why do we always have to go into Dublin for the good ones :mad:

redstar wrote: »
    Roads are worse than 3rd world. Once saw a documentary about a poor village in Nigeria. The road and footpath were in much better state than those around Trim and Navan.

Crap drivers; Tailgating regardless of weather or visibilty, speeding, overtaking at dangerous bends, especially on secondary roads. This is just BAD DRIVING, not skillful or 'cool'.

No Navan rail link. Rubbish planning means somewhere like Kilcock has a service but Navan hasn't.

Indeed. I enjoyed 4 punctures in total last week. Its not even the cost of repairing them thats most annoying, its being stuck with a flat in Dunderry at 10 o clock at night in the bloody freezing cold. My hands went so numb I couldnt feel them for nearly an hour after I changed the wheel.
    Punctures because of pot holes are becoming a weekly thing now, its a flipping disgrace and so incredibly annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Just The One

The fact that there is only one restaurant in Dunshaughlin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Black velvit

The fact that there is only one restaurant in Dunshaughlin

Which, Golden Phenox?? tiz good tho:D
    What about Fidelmas??? biggest breakfast i ever seen, be doin well to finish a medium one, great for a bit of soakage after a night on the rip in the Vortex:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Solberg2005

The fact that alot of the small villages in meath have grown in size with the amount of houses being built which in turn brings down some of the dirt from dublin. Longwood for example has being ruined with all the new houses and negativity that comes with it

Advertisement