Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your least favourite thing about Meath.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Just The One

Which, Golden Phenox?? tiz good tho:D
    What about Fidelmas??? biggest breakfast i ever seen, be doin well to finish a medium one, great for a bit of soakage after a night on the rip in the Vortex:D:D

Golden Phoenix can be a bit hit and miss. You would hardly call Fidelma's a restaurant - more of a cafe.

I am looking for a restaurant that you can go to at night.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

yeah Dunshaughlin needs a good proper restaurant and some good takeaways.

There has never been a good restaurant in Dunshaughlin ever. Its so bad not even the Takeaways are good. There are 2 macaris neither are great but the one beside the pet shop has the rudest service I hav ever come across. The Golden phoeonix is ok at times but the portions are very small compared to other chinese's so I generally avoid it and go to Ratoath. The chinese beside Maddens Stores is awfull and sometimes I wonder about whats in the food and general hygene. The pizza place also just a takeaway is very hit and miss. Sometimes the base of the pizza are slightly soggy which is awfull. Ive had more poor pizza's than good from there.

The revamped Sibin started off good for pub grub but has gone downhill alot over past 6 months - the place is generally empty and with no fast turnover of food I would suspect the food isnt too great in there now. Last time I went in we wanted some food, we were the only 2 people in the place and this was 8pm on a thursday evening, the staff were not interested in giving us menu's so we left and ordered food from Ratoath.

I know 2 people who had slight food poisoning/upset stomachs from eating in Peters, the food tasted grand but they were sick afterwards on 2 seperate occassions so I generally give that a miss as well. Also theres a cold feeling in Peters, stuff not very friendly and the decor is just completely out of place for Dunshaughlin.

And thats it for Dunshauglin, there is nowhere else to eat. Not one of these places come anywhere near a proper restaurant. Dunshaughlin has been like this all the time. If one wants to have a nice meal you have to go to Ratoath to Ryans for a steak or Labuca in Ratoath/Ashbourne for a good pizza or Italian meal. For general good meals the nearest places are The Stationhouse in Kilmessin (very expensive) and The Snailbox (north of Ashbourne). Nearest quality chinese for a meal is Golden Phoenix in Navan.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭dkane

Worst thing about Meath in my opinion is public transport.
    Bus service from Trim to Dublin is a joke. Buses not showing up/late/going past without stopping/argent f*ckers driving them, not to mention the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭Archeron

dkane wrote: »
    Worst thing about Meath in my opinion is public transport.
    Bus service from Trim to Dublin is a joke. Buses not showing up/late/going past without stopping/argent f*ckers driving them, not to mention the price.

I had an experience recently where I commuted into Dublin for nearly a week, and getting home from Busaras was an absolute joke. I posted in the commuting and transport forum, and some people seemed to not really believe that it was as bad as I had indicated. Glad to hear that I'm not the only one that finds the buses pretty bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Just The One

Gonzo wrote: »
    yeah Dunshaughlin needs a good proper restaurant and some good takeaways.

There has never been a good restaurant in Dunshaughlin ever. Its so bad not even the Takeaways are good. There are 2 macaris neither are great but the one beside the pet shop has the rudest service I hav ever come across. The Golden phoeonix is ok at times but the portions are very small compared to other chinese's so I generally avoid it and go to Ratoath. The chinese beside Maddens Stores is awfull and sometimes I wonder about whats in the food and general hygene. The pizza place also just a takeaway is very hit and miss. Sometimes the base of the pizza are slightly soggy which is awfull. Ive had more poor pizza's than good from there.

The revamped Sibin started off good for pub grub but has gone downhill alot over past 6 months - the place is generally empty and with no fast turnover of food I would suspect the food isnt too great in there now. Last time I went in we wanted some food, we were the only 2 people in the place and this was 8pm on a thursday evening, the staff were not interested in giving us menu's so we left and ordered food from Ratoath.

I know 2 people who had slight food poisoning/upset stomachs from eating in Peters, the food tasted grand but they were sick afterwards on 2 seperate occassions so I generally give that a miss as well. Also theres a cold feeling in Peters, stuff not very friendly and the decor is just completely out of place for Dunshaughlin.

And thats it for Dunshauglin, there is nowhere else to eat. Not one of these places come anywhere near a proper restaurant. Dunshaughlin has been like this all the time. If one wants to have a nice meal you have to go to Ratoath to Ryans for a steak or Labuca in Ratoath/Ashbourne for a good pizza or Italian meal. For general good meals the nearest places are The Stationhouse in Kilmessin (very expensive) and The Snailbox (north of Ashbourne). Nearest quality chinese for a meal is Golden Phoenix in Navan.

Have to agree with your reviews. Macaris are ignorant feckers (both chippers and pizzeria).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

I may be alone in this but I thought the pizza in Katy's in Ratoath was grand stuff especially when compared to the muck from the pizzeria in Dunshaughlin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

Worst thing about Meath... Probably the 50 square mile no-go-zone at its core. Navan, I believe it's called :D Sorry if we've any Nyaaaavan heads on boards, hi.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

upmeath wrote: »
    Worst thing about Meath... Probably the 50 square mile no-go-zone at its core. Navan, I believe it's called :D Sorry if we've any Nyaaaavan heads on boards, hi.

Dont be silly;)
    Whats bad about Navan that you wouldnt get in any other decent sized town in Meath:rolleyes:
    Ashbounre IMO is by far the worst and i will give reasons, Full of wannabe gangstas, no nice pubs, one nice restraunt,a few too many wierdos.
    If your out for a night with a couple of friends you cant help but to end up in a fight, never have i been offered more drugs then in Ashbourne, never seen so many pregnant teens or teens with kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

bitemybanger, TBH I don't consider Ashbourne or any of the other satellite "communities" to be "towns". Dunshaughlin has a bit of character, but it's still just a wee shraidbhaile, not a town. Ashbourne, Ratoath, they're not towns. They're suburbs beyond the green belt.
    There are three towns in Meath - Kells, Navan and Trim. These are towns because they have town charters and councils. Each has evolved over time rather than exploding in the last 10 years (although Navan leans towards the "shadow towns" in that sense, and it's gone like any town in the British Midlands with the same soulless high streets. The shops are predominantly chains or franchises). I'd shoot myself if I saw Trim going that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Haha, i knew you were from Trim, This is just typical Trim-Navan rivilary. anyone from navan(locals) hate Trim and vice versa, me personaly, am nutral

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭wilson10

Coming home from Dublin to Drogheda on the N2 last evening, about 7.30 myself & the wife, feeling very peckish, hadn't really eaten all day. I thought why not try Ashbourne, hadn't been in it for years.

On the main street saw the Hunter's Moon, landmark pub, sign up "Food served all day". I thought with all the development over recent years that this pub in particular must have done very well and developed with the town. How wrong was I, what a kip.

I know Monday night is a bad night to look for food, but we drove around and ended up in McDonalds, at least you know what sort of crap to expect.

I'll be sticking to the bypass in future

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

My least fav thing is the NAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAvn accent. Whenever a navanman hears I'm from Meath, they say "really, all your life?". Happens every time. Newsflash for navanmen - Not everybody in Meath speaks like they're from Carrickmacross.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭washiskin

The pollution of pyjamas - I mean total scobies wearing them out in public to leave the kids to school, go to the shop, walk the baby etc.

Have some f*cking self respect, will ya? :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭chewed

Least favourite things

Navan shopping centre
    No decent jobs in Meath
    No rail service to Navan
    Not enough decent restaurants
    Fat girls in Meath jerseys
    Tolls on motorways
    Ugly housing estates
    The fact that Fianna Fail keep getting elected
    Too many trucks on back roads
    Too many Dublin scum bags
    Litter everywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭chewed

Archeron wrote: »
    I had an experience recently where I commuted into Dublin for nearly a week, and getting home from Busaras was an absolute joke. I posted in the commuting and transport forum, and some people seemed to not really believe that it was as bad as I had indicated. Glad to hear that I'm not the only one that finds the buses pretty bad.

I'm not sure what all the issues are with the buses!! I've been getting the Trim to Dublin bus for over a year now and find it very reliable. There were only 2 occasions I can remember when my bus didn't turn up. They always leave on time in the mornings and evenings for me.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

The water. Any harder and it would come out in lumps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Shyte transport.

Lack of railway

Lack of jobs

Lack of anyone inside the Pale giving a shyte about things that we should simply not accept.

Kells.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 casandra

Council employing guy at entrance to Bettystown beach demanding €2 ENTRANCE CHARGE --- drove people away !. Beach polluted with signposts, no toilet facilities --- NO PRIDE

• Registered Users Posts: 43 casandra

I hate the way Meath County Council are " MANAGING" Bettystown beach --- By Signpost !!!!!!. From the beach entrance 42 upright steel posts buried in concrete are visable and spoil the view of a beautiful natural ammenity, and in Summer have the cheek to drive people away from Bettystown by having a man taking 2e cash as an ENTRANCE charge --- most intimadating !!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

casandra wrote: »
    I hate the way Meath County Council are " MANAGING" Bettystown beach --- By Signpost !!!!!!. From the beach entrance 42 upright steel posts buried in concrete are visable and spoil the view of a beautiful natural ammenity, and in Summer have the cheek to drive people away from Bettystown by having a man taking 2e cash as an ENTRANCE charge --- most intimadating !!!!!!

Would you rather people were allowed on without any sort of guidance or management and spoiled it by continually leaving their rubbish instead?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Easy, Meath County Council,

They are responsible for so many of the things that have been highlighted earlier in the thread.

Bad roads
    Bad infrastructure
    Bad signs
    Bad water
    Bad planning

No point going on, we can do nothing to change it.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 7,343 ✭✭✭bladespin

Thousands of people and feck all jobs, the mere fact that if you live here you will more than likely have to work somewhere else always bugged the sh1te out of me, oh, and you can pretty much say the same thing for third level education too, our kids face a commute too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

The voters.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭kormak

1. Meath County Council Planning Authority, their complete disregard of local needs and their very obvious corruption towards those who are in the know or who like the look of little brown envelopes....:mad:

2. Kids wearing Dublin Football jerseys; cool your parents were Dubs but you were born n reared in the Royal County... get over yourself or f*ck off back to da Narthsoide! :rolleyes:

3. Our current full-back line; it'll never be a patch on the Mick Lyons & co powerhouse of '87/88! :(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Tossers who actually get upset by kids wearing a non-Meath football jersey! ;)

PauloMN wrote: »
    Tossers who actually get upset by kids wearing a non-Meath football jersey! ;)

Straight in there with the name calling?!
    typical Dub...

ps. Other jerseys work fine for me... just Dublin jerseys!

kormak wrote: »
    Straight in there with the name calling?!
    typical Dub...

ps. Other jerseys work fine for me... just Dublin jerseys!

You hurtin' a bit? ;)

PauloMN wrote: »
    You hurtin' a bit? ;)

yeah... I'm well pissed off with you now! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Meath County Council without a doubt.im only just short of e mailing them a map with a big arrow photoshopped on pointing to stamullen!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭umpire bat

The quality of debate in the council chambers. The public representatives would be better served trying to maintain and promote local business and employment.

Advertisement