Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your least favourite thing about Meath.

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 TheAssasin

Anyone thinking of moving please don't pick longwood. It is the worst and most costly mistake I ever made and I will regret it for the rest of my life. The scum of the earth have moved here and are gradually forming their little gangs both children & adults and trying to take over and rule the roost in the areas they live in.
    It also hard to believe that it is only 15/20mins for lucan but trains, buses, water, phone signals, computer signals are all very bad and disgraceful so you've been warned don't come next or near this ****HOLE.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

Lack of facility's in the town due to corrupt councillors misusing the massive revenues that were generated during the boom

too harsh ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Duleek. I hate it with a passion

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭joedared

dgt wrote: »

I used to travel to Duleek a few years ago. It was like Sodom & Gomorrah.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Not on here to defend it... have only driven through it on the way to drogheda and it seems okay... but why no love for it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Its too close to Dublin and too far east ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Access wrote: »
    Not on here to defend it... have only driven through it on the way to drogheda and it seems okay... but why no love for it?

The road into it from the N2 is an absolute disgrace. Even with a comfortable car/ coach you still flop about on the lumpy surface.

To me, it's a miserable place to one side of another miserable place, Drogheda. Sorry, I just find the place depressing.

Any time I'm there I seem to encounter the most ignorant of high horses ever to grace our emerald isle. For example, I was on my way to Gormo one day in my DPM's and had to stop in the local shop. While the assistant was rather cheerful the other people were looking at me with scorn, who does this fella think he is type of attitude. Another time I was on my way to a clay shoot and there was a marathon on. Had plenty of time, no rush etc. This gobsh*te who was directing traffic comes to me, proceeds to tell me where to go then decides to give me a lecture on safe driving and boy racing. Since when did a Peugeot 406 become a boy racers car :confused: why the need to tell me all that? I'm hardly a young fella with a car like that!

To top it all off, you get the impression that the locals feel the need to be part of the law making. We'll make up the rules and enforce them type of crap. Example: On our way once to the DOE centre outside Duleek (no naming as they since lost our custom) there was a sign printed in what looked like council colours (orange and black) with the message "No LGV's or HGV's permitted through the village. Gardai notified" who on earth are they to make up such ridiculous crap up like that :rolleyes: what if the roads needed mending? Or a house needed a plumber to come out? "Oh we're sorry, we can't come out there are no commercials allowed in the village" :mad: you can imagine how much I cheered as I watched a block lorrey drive across it on the way back later that day :D

I don't mean to cause offence but that's the impression I get, that's how I feel. Take it or leave it that's just my opinion and a pretty low one at that

• Registered Users Posts: 18 fiddler09

The road into it from the N2 is an absolute disgrace. Even with a comfortable car/ coach you still flop about on the lumpy surface.

To me, it's a miserable place to one side of another miserable place, Drogheda. Sorry, I just find the place depressing.

Any time I'm there I seem to encounter the most ignorant of high horses ever to grace our emerald isle. For example, I was on my way to Gormo one day in my DPM's and had to stop in the local shop. While the assistant was rather cheerful the other people were looking at me with scorn, who does this fella think he is type of attitude. Another time I was on my way to a clay shoot and there was a marathon on. Had plenty of time, no rush etc. This gobsh*te who was directing traffic comes to me, proceeds to tell me where to go then decides to give me a lecture on safe driving and boy racing. Since when did a Peugeot 406 become a boy racers car :confused: why the need to tell me all that? I'm hardly a young fella with a car like that!

To top it all off, you get the impression that the locals feel the need to be part of the law making. We'll make up the rules and enforce them type of crap. Example: On our way once to the DOE centre outside Duleek (no naming as they since lost our custom) there was a sign printed in what looked like council colours (orange and black) with the message "No LGV's or HGV's permitted through the village. Gardai notified" who on earth are they to make up such ridiculous crap up like that :rolleyes: what if the roads needed mending? Or a house needed a plumber to come out? "Oh we're sorry, we can't come out there are no commercials allowed in the village" :mad: you can imagine how much I cheered as I watched a block lorrey drive across it on the way back later that day :D

I don't mean to cause offence but that's the impression I get, that's how I feel. Take it or leave it that's just my opinion and a pretty low one at that

I'm inclined to agree with a lot of this.
    I've lived just outside Duleek town for the past 11 years.

Burglarised twice (as well as many neighbours) with little to no support for the Gardai. No neighbourhood patrols whatsoever.
    Ridiculous amount of traffic coming in and out of the town, with complete lawlessness I might add.
    Road surface conditions are absolutely atrocious coming from N2 into Duleek and over the back road over the small bridge.
    Passing scumbags who see fit to dump their bags of rubbish outside my gate (and neighbours). Most likely people who live locally are responsible.

Typical small town driving antics that really drive (excuse the pun) me crazy: shoppers parked in the middle of the road with their hazards on (because they'll "only be a sec"). The two main shops with minimal parking doesn't help.

A church with no parking so everyone parks in the middle of the main road and blocks gates. Not to mention any big event that goes on at the church results in complete gridlock of traffic coming in or out of the town.

Pharmacies fleecing everyone (prices on everything non-prescription are inflated compared to everywhere else). One petrol station outside town with the worst opening hours and prices known to mankind.

Admittedly, I'm just jaded from living in the area. As soon as the market picks up slightly (I know - could be a while!), I'm selling and getting out of Dodge. It was a huge mistake building a house here, but you live and learn I suppose. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

To be fair u have a 24 hour tesco and petrol station 5 mins or less from the petrol station your in about

• Registered Users Posts: 18 fiddler09

Vego wrote: »
    To be fair u have a 24 hour tesco and petrol station 5 mins or less from the petrol station your in about

True; however, the further away from Drogheda I can remain, the better.

• Advertisement
Advertisement