Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Basic things to do

• 19-12-2007 6:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭

My laptop and home pc have slowed down alot lately, and I have to admit, no-one in the family knows anything about maintenance, even though I know that there are files that you are meant to run every once in a while.
    What would be the basic steps that we should take? What do they do?
    For instance, I run disk defrag every now and again, but I don't know what all the squares mean (I read the key, I just don't understand the implications)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

My laptop and home pc have slowed down alot lately, and I have to admit, no-one in the family knows anything about maintenance, even though I know that there are files that you are meant to run every once in a while.
    What would be the basic steps that we should take? What do they do?
    For instance, I run disk defrag every now and again, but I don't know what all the squares mean (I read the key, I just don't understand the implications)
    The squares are the smallest building blocks making up your hard drive. And all the files and programs on your computer are comprised of these squares. But sometimes there won't be a large enough set of standalone squares for a new file / program to be written to - so they'll get written to multiple disjointed sets. This makes it slow for your computer to read these files / programs as it has to travel all over your hard drive to read from these related disjointed sets of squares i.e. fragmented files in red.

Defragging is the computers way of reorganizing all the files into a consistent, contiguous set of squares each and hopefully the end result should be a faster performance.

Also, I have a tool called CCleaner running automatically upon startup - it cleans away lots of unneccessary temp files and general rubbish - highly recommended!

Advertisement