Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Awesome CGI facial recognition

Options
  • 19-12-2007 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭

Wow!!! Didn't know where to post this, but seeing as most of this companies clients are game companies I guess it goes here.

Not even Crysis managed to pull off the facial animation properly. Apart from the obvious texturing issues, the expressions on this CG face are as close to realistic as i've ever seen.

Must be seen to be believed

http://www.image-metrics.com/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Wow :O
    Wonder which game will utilise it first?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Holy shít. That is really impressive. They didn't get things like the wrinkles right on some of the facial expressions but it is still really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Holy shít. That is really impressive. They didn't get things like the wrinkles right on some of the facial expressions but it is still really good.

yeah its certainly not the most realistic CG face i've ever seen, but its the fact they can record facial expressions in real time, without the need for facial points (which tend to lose some of the muscle detail of a facial expression) Its just the fact that they won't need to manually animate the facial features of CG characters, that they can directly record the expressions off an actors face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

thanks for the link, that was way cool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Good man L31mr0d, you seem to have a nak for finding/posting this stuff. Very impressive indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

class nice find

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Not bad and neither is she...

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭CrazyTalk

That was so convincing it was almost unsettling. If films like Beowulf and high end games could utilize realism like that it'd be really cool.

Good man L31mr0d, you seem to have a nak for finding/posting this stuff. Very impressive indeed.

don't thank me, thank stumbleupon :rolleyes: probably one of the best (and worst :D) apps to come out of web 2.0. It's a lot like digg, but basically consists of just a button in your browser that you can click on and it will pop up a highly user rated webpage that matches your interests.

Don't be surprised though if you don't get any work done or end up staying up till sunrise stumbling, its very rare you'll get stumbled a bad site, more often than not you'll be given ones as good as the one I linked above.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Lots of game studios are using it atm and it was used on Polar Express :)

Its awesome

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Oman

man thats cool. i'd love to see me in cgi thingy, now that would really be cool

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Yup, I reckon Brad and Tom will be quaking in their boots - it won't be too long before Hollywood starts mapping actors faces onto less-well known thespians and reducing their production costs by a fair whack. John Wayne and Steve McQueen are overdue a comeback too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Thanks for the link, that was very cool. I'd love to play around with it for a while :D

D.T. Jesus wrote: »
    Thanks for the link, that was very cool. I'd love to play around with it for a while :D

you're filthy and depraved ;) but I can guarantee that will be the arena that this technology will get its most use.

Now all those perverted WoW fans will be able to watch their anatomically correct elves getting it on :p

Advertisement