Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

car squealing when started

Options
  • 19-12-2007 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭

my car started doin that squealing thing when you start it up last night.

its an 8 year old car and it made that really screechy squealing noise for about a minute and then stopped suddenly. it didnt do it again this morning but did it for a couple of seconds there this evening.

whats the common cause's of this squealing and what should i check?

tanks for the help in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭mildews

Could be your fan belt needs replacing

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

yup sounds liike an aux. belt needs adjustment or replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Starter might need looking at as well. If that one's bust a reconditioned one won't cost the earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

never heard of a starter making a squealing sound for a minute and then stopping.

Depends on what you define as a squeal but I had one for a while that dared to give a bit of a screechy squealbefore it packed in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Most likely to be a drive belt. Starters do squeal on start up, but usually it last for a few seconds at best - unless the pinion is remaining engaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

crosstownk wrote: »
    Most likely to be a drive belt.

yeh i'd say thats it, expensive to get changed?

Not at all if it's only a belt and a maybe a tensioner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 scotia

Try switching on the lights and heated rear screen, if the squeal returns it's the alt belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

scotia wrote: »
    Try switching on the lights and heated rear screen, if the squeal returns it's the alt belt.

hhmmm no it doesnt return when i do either

can hear a squeal for a second or so whenever i go over a bump

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Probably the aux belt. In the cold weather, the rubber won't contract as much as the metal causing it to loose a little bit of tension. Once the engine warms up, the squeal should go. Just needs to be tensioned up a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

Sounds like you have my Ma stuck under your bonet.....give her a pack of King and few Quality Street and it will stop.
    Cheap enough to fix....bout 1.50

Advertisement