Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was your worst purchase ever ?

• 19-12-2007 8:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭

just looking back through my orders on komplett and there are a few oww moments in there, the worst I think was 705 on a Intel Pentium 4 3.06GHz, I don't even know if that was punts or euros but what a waste of money lol

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Qtec Case + 300W PSU( cheap knack bag of a job if there ever was one) when I built my first pc, an athlon XP 1800+.

My pc ran hot and it crashed every now and again for some strange reason.....:o

Replaced swiftly with a Chieftech case with 360W PSU.

I also learned never to skimp on case/PSU ever again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭irishshogun

178 pounds on a 128meg usb key, the early adopter screwed for your benefit!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

1600 on a computer 2 years ago.
    sold to my brother a week later for 1300.

bills became too much to handle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭x keo21

Windows Vista

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

an msi neo-f motherboard....it was only like 100 quid, but tbh, i would have rather eaten the money, i would have been alot happier. thta motherboard drove me bananas!

seriously, in retrospect, i really would have eaten the money, at least i could then tell ppl i once ate 100 quid....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Probably the p965 Neo-F as well....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭white_falcon

hey lol...u deleted my contribution lol :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭white_falcon

my worst computer purchase ever must have been 512mb ram i bought for my dell laptop. i didnt realise it had 2 X 256mb sticks in it already, so i put my 512mb stick in makin a grand total of 768MB ram...totally worthless as it cost about 60 euros

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭Gryzor

x keo21 wrote: »
    Windows Vista

seconded..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

a thermaltake v1000a case - Thing weighed a tonne !!

nvidia 5800ultra - What more do i need to say ;)

2 x 6800gt's on the day of launch - had a 15" at the time and didnt see any benifit over my 9800pro

2 x 300gb ultra320 scsi drives and a controller card - None of which i could get working

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Anti wrote: »
    2 x 300gb ultra320 scsi drives and a controller card - None of which i could get working

ouch. My wallet is crying. How much?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Windows Millenium

worst OS ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

Gonzo wrote: »
    Windows Millenium

worst OS ever.

with enough tweaking it worked wonder's.

ok there was the occasional bsod. but boot from cold in 4 - 6 seconds!

Khannie wrote: »
    ouch. My wallet is crying. How much?

Alot ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

qtec power supply. it was made from GOLD :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Lord Deco

Advent pc from pc world a few years ago,thing had a mind of its own :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Gryzor wrote: »
    seconded..

Thirded...! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

broken xfi over ebay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,863 ✭✭✭SeanW

A Dell PC back in 2002, worst designed POS ever.

Seemed OK when I bought it, but over time the case started to act like an accordian - with a drone and throbbing noise driving me crazy after a couple of years. Then there was my personal favourite - the downward angled front side USB ports which meant that every time I wanted to connect a pen drive, digital camera, Mp3 player (I had started to build up quite a collection of USB devices) I had to lie down on the floor, stick my head underneath the goddamn thing, lift the lid and try to feel the way for the plug to go in.

I finally had enough in 2006 when I bought an internal card reader and found that the mainboard provided no internal USB controller ports for it. That's when I decided "Ah, f*** this, time to upgrade. That's when I decided to go Home Build (and never looked back)

Heavy as f*** too.

Not only that but the prices they charged for upgrades was unbelievable. They wanted €150 for a CD-RW drive that I bought in peats for €66, RAM upgrades if bought from Dell or guaranteed compatible sources was astronomical, but I only ever bought generic because it needed a lot of new memory over its lifetime.

And to add to that, their tech support was dreadful. PC came with Windows XP and for a while, I wanted to downgrade to Windows NT, I asked their tech support if I would have any trouble doing that wrt device drivers and whatnot, they made me go through 2 pages of AI generated responses that had nothing to do with the question, and when finally sent to an acutal agent he/she was a p**** who couldn't speak English obviously becasue the E-Mail gave me a lecture about software piracy and ordered me to put their WinXP BACK onto the machine (even though I specifically said I hadn't touched anything yet).

The worse other purchase?

A Logitech webcam/digital camera I ordered with the computer, a cheap heap of **** that used battery backed photo memory, but because I was an idiot back then I thought "hey a webcam AND digital camera for only €120, sold :rolleyes:" I don't know if I ever used it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭zonEEE

Dell a few years ago, i didnt no much about pcs at the time but i said i didnt want a GFX card to them i would put one in myself and they gave me a mobo with out a agp slot !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

Multiple printers. They are the devils invention.
    All my printers seem to have a life span of about 6 months.

Multiple printers. They are the devils invention.
    All my printers seem to have a life span of about 6 months.

Thats how they are made to be. Where i work we have a 3rd party contractor who looks after all our printers. And they say hp/lexmark ar the worst you can buy, even if its the ones for 25k they are made with cheap plastic parts. And i can honestly say they break down every few days. And the software for them is a joke. Webjet admin LOL. Xerox are meant to be up there with the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Lord Deco wrote: »
    Advent pc from pc world a few years ago,thing had a mind of its own :D

lol that was my 1st pc did me strong for years!!

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

Anti wrote: »
    Thats how they are made to be. Where i work we have a 3rd party contractor who looks after all our printers. And they say hp/lexmark ar the worst you can buy, even if its the ones for 25k they are made with cheap plastic parts. And i can honestly say they break down every few days. And the software for them is a joke. Webjet admin LOL. Xerox are meant to be up there with the best.

I have owned HP/Lexmark/Olivetti printers and found them all wanting.
    My current printer is my second printer of the Lexmark brand. (Wireless X4550).
    It has lasted me four months so far without any hiccups.

If a industrial printer costing 25K breaks down regularly, there is no hope for us :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭mrDuke

Maxtor External Hard Drive, however in the 5 years that i had it they replaced it 4 times at no charge and twice upgraded to a better model, it still ****ed up, i put my pc equipment under alot of pressurehowever, there always working and doing something likie, the last time the drive was replaced i sold it for a profit :D not to bad eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 595 ✭✭✭toco123

Countless 56K modems... but hey for the 50 you buy, they'res usually a good one!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Cheap external hard drive enclosure + 250GB hd on ebay.
    The case itself never worked for more than 15 minutes at a time if you were lucky, so after a few days of that I just gave up and stuck the hd into my pc. Damn thing must've been damaged in transit because the hd died on me a few days later...

Recently, I'd have to say my 150GB raptor was a MAJOR waste of money. Think I'll just sell it on and replace it with a 500gb seagate...

tman wrote: »
    Cheap external hard drive enclosure + 250GB hd on ebay.
    The case itself never worked for more than 15 minutes at a time if you were lucky, so after a few days of that I just gave up and stuck the hd into my pc. Damn thing must've been damaged in transit because the hd died on me a few days later...

Recently, I'd have to say my 150GB raptor was a MAJOR waste of money. Think I'll just sell it on and replace it with a 500gb seagate...

A samsung spinpoint is better as it costs as much as a seagate and provides the preformance of a raptor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

toco123 wrote: »
    A samsung spinpoint is better as it costs as much as a seagate and provides the preformance of a raptor

Now who told you that :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

probably God

Advertisement