Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N18 - Limerick Tunnel & South Ring Road Phase II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭lukejr

From the Limerick Post today, piece on the Limerick Tunnel. May opening wasn't confirmed, expect newsletter on the website over the coming week with updates on the progress: http://www.limericktunnel.com/

LimerickPost.jpg

Back page of the Limerick Post, http://www.limericktunnel.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

They were doing work just before you reach Rosbrien Interchange this evening, Looked like the instalment of signage or gantry?

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭black47

lukejr wrote: »
    From the Limerick Post today, piece on the Limerick Tunnel. May opening wasn't confirmed, expect newsletter on the website over the coming week with updates on the progress: http://www.limericktunnel.com/

LimerickPost.jpg

Back page of the Limerick Post, http://www.limericktunnel.com/

Sounds to me like Kirby electrical (Tunnel M & E subcontractors) need to do a few 24 hour shifts between now and May 21st!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Well the Limerick to shannon road is still operating as a DC. No sign of it being reduced to 1 lane yet anyway.

I am not looking forward to it happening, but seeing a it was supposed to happen on the 6th. They may be experiencing some minor delays.

The contractor has advised that this has been re-scheduled somewhat as follows:

12 April: Southbound traffic restricted to single lane from Sixmilebridge junction to south of the Radisson to facilitate gantry installation. After c. 2 weeks the length of single lane will be reduced to start at Cratloe Castle.

20 April: Northbound traffic diverted onto single lane of new slip road under the bridge between Cratloemoyle roundabout and the existing N18.

Regards,
    Seamus Hayes
    Project Liaison Officer
    Limerick Tunnel PPP Scheme
    Site Office
    Bunlicky
    Dock Road
    Limerick
    Tel (061)583855
    Fax. (061)583852
    EMail seamus.hayes@ltppp.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

They left it be over Easter, which was intelligent :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Has anyone else looked at the mainline from Rossbrien to the N69 interchange lately? The road is lined and studded and looks excellent from the Ballykeefe overbridge near the N69. I forgot to take a pic passing if anyone is near the area later to have a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭MYSTICA1

Is there any chance of this road between Rossbrien & the N69 at CastleMungret opening before the tunnel opens .. It looks like it is ready for opening !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

I think there was a reply on this thread previously stating that a partial opening was not going to be done by the contractor but it does look almost ready to go from Rossbrien to the Dock rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭bacon&cabbage

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Would this not have the potential to become another M50 toll bridge disaster where the actual toll collection will create a traffic mess? Wouldn't barrier free tolling have been the more sensible option in this instance?

There wont be the level of traffic anytime soon to block up the toll booths anything like as bad as the M50 toll did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

The major traffic crisis is more likely to be at the N69 or N24 junctions, as well as increased congestion on the R526 (old N20) - all due to the city centre access from M20 at Rosbrien being removed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

Stinicker wrote: »
    Would this not have the potential to become another M50 toll bridge disaster where the actual toll collection will create a traffic mess? Wouldn't barrier free tolling have been the more sensible option in this instance?

The toll boothes are built on corcas so there is plenty of room for more lanes if needed.

The toll boothes are built on corcas so there is plenty of room for more lanes if needed.

Whats a corcas? :o:confused: Google has failed me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

Stinicker wrote: »
    Whats a corcas? :o:confused: Google has failed me!

Corcas is reclaimed land behind the floodbanks of the Shannon estuary. Its flat and nobdy lives there, as its below sea level, so there are no restrictions on adding lanes to the toll plaza. Its probably a local word so would not appear on google I'm not even sure if its spelled right.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Cnat

Corcas = Irish: Corcach; 'Marsh'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

Zoney wrote: »
    The major traffic crisis is more likely to be at the N69 or N24 junctions, as well as increased congestion on the R526 (old N20) - all due to the city centre access from M20 at Rosbrien being removed.

They could have solved this easily by allowing another underpass on either side of the Rossbrien interchange, to allow the other required movment or make a left on slip movement under the Southern ring road with little extra cost or complications. Since the motorway was made raised over the Existing N20 link anyhow. All the land is available it's just a matter of digging and putting up the extra appropriate concrete beams.

It was such short sighted thinking. This fiasco has been going on since before construction. They even had it design and build, because they decided to make the loops tiny which were not like that on the plans.

So its really unacceptable. I actually seen the pictures and the onslops are so short and tight at every angle. This is a disaster interchange, it reminds me of a really cheaply down Redcow with tighter movements. It's madness considering it will be a motorway at all approaches. Yet you will not be able to 80kmh on any approach to this interchange.

I'm dissapointed with this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

They will have to add the link. The N69 cannot cope with all the city traffic as an entrance to the city. The Old R526 is heavily congested, and the Dooradoyle road is basically a residential road that is also gridlocked.

It is just really not acceptable going forward. When the bypass is opened they will be forced to go back and find a solution, there is no way I can see the People of Limerick dealing with a detriorating traffic problem now gettting worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Cnat wrote: »
    Corcas = Irish: Corcach; 'Marsh'
    The root for a certain placename that claims to be "the real capital boy!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Expect major delays at the Clonmacken roundabout next week Tuesday to Friday 7am-6.30pm

Expect major delays at the Clonmacken roundabout next week Tuesday to Friday 7am-6.30pm

I think is 19:00 to 06:30. We got a letter in the door the other day. I'll scan it tomorrow and post it!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Deedsie wrote: »
    I think is 19:00 to 06:30. We got a letter in the door the other day. I'll scan it tomorrow and post it!

Actually,I double checked with the missus. It is 19:00 to 06:30 :p

dubhthach wrote: »
    The root for a certain placename that claims to be "the real capital boy!"

Cork = Swamp hole, sounds about right to me:D

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭sonyair

Information displays framework are up just afer junction 2 northbound m20,
    looks like this without the screens

m_motorway_electronic_sign.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

i wonder will the city council or nra get your cities most famous resident to cut the ribbon, wayne dundon .... or else they could call the road " WAYNE DUNDON EXPRESSWAY" actually id hate to be looking at him at the toll booth everyday ........but seriously the rosbrien interchange is a joke the n24 interchange is another joke ,, n69 junction will be a disaster .. all of this because the politicians didnt want an exit at rosbrien.. are we so stupid to put up with these people.. actually wheres wayne and his mob when we want the politicians sorted...

Any word on when the N18 will be down to 1 lane between limerick and Shannon? It was supposed to happen weeks ago. Perhaps they have fallen behind a bit?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

charlemont wrote: »
    i wonder will the city council or nra get your cities most famous resident to cut the ribbon, wayne dundon .... or else they could call the road " WAYNE DUNDON EXPRESSWAY" actually id hate to be looking at him at the toll booth everyday ........but seriously the rosbrien interchange is a joke the n24 interchange is another joke ,, n69 junction will be a disaster .. all of this because the politicians didnt want an exit at rosbrien.. are we so stupid to put up with these people.. actually wheres wayne and his mob when we want the politicians sorted...

Not the politicans it was local residents. It was part of the planning process.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭sonyair

lined and signed at the n18 where the roundabout is going along with half the concrete median going up the bridge from the n18.

just need to join the new with the old and we will all be going under that bridge

• Advertisement

Looks like it will be one hell of a climb up onto the viaduct and one hell of a sharp bend at the top of it. Should be interesting.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement