Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N18 - Limerick Tunnel & South Ring Road Phase II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

They need to be careful cutting the trees.:(

AN INVESTIGATION was launched this Wednesday after a 27-year-old Limerick man was electrocuted in a work-place accident at Hurler's Cross near Bunratty.
    The man, who was from the Adare area, was cutting trees for a contractor when his chainsaw came in contact with overhead power-lines.

He died instantly and his body was removed from the scene to the Mid Western Regional Hospital in Limerick where a post mortem examination was conducted.

Gardai at Shannon, who are investigating the incident, say they are treating it as a "tragic industrial accident".

The Health and Safety Authority have also launched an investigation.

May he rest in peace, thats absolutely tragic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

Shannon is well signposted as being junction "9" but there are no numbers at Sixmilebridge (8?), Bunratty(7?) etc., are they planning to do these soon?

Its a pity the cratloe flyover was not pulled to one side a bit when they did it and put a local access road in front of the row of houses down from Setrights. Its a job that will have to be done eventually.

Is there any other dualer in the world that runs along the village street?:eek:

Another thing. How the hell did that new building just down from The Set Rights get planning permission? If I had my way every single one of them would be knocked Set Rights and all!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

According to the Limerick Post today,its set to open in ..... September.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭lukejr

According to the Limerick Post today,its set to open in ..... September.

I think the journalist messed up (no surprise there). It was always due to finish in September, but it is now due to open ahead of schedule, as in before September.

Her article doesn't match the title, but many journalists don't have control over their article title, the editor handles that.

With the walk set for June 19, and final testing expected to finish in June, there is no reason why it won't open in July.

LimerickTunnel.jpg

May 22, 2010 - Page 15

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Interesting that Rossbrien to junction 2 dock road will be open for the day also.

Why wont they just leave it open permanently afterwards?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Does anyone notice the barrier on the on-ramp at the Rosbrien interchange keeps getting crashed into? They replaced a section last week and now there is another part after been crashed into. I even saw a car parked up that looked like it hit it straight on.

Also when I was heading out from town towards Raheen, just as you head under the bridge, there are two signs to the left, one of which has listowel on it, but the arrow is pointing to the on ramp and not actually straight ahead? Just caught the corner of my eye, so might not be that way at all

Just realised there is only one lane at the cratloe roundabout heading north joining up. What the hell is the logic there?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

The logic is that a good deal of the traffic that used to justify 2 lanes will now be coming from the tunnel instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

Presumably they want to disincentivise people from going out the old road. I see Dolans and other on the dock road have started a campaign to get the dock road reduced to two lanes again, presumably this road will also be restructured to encourage people to use the tunnel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

rainbowdash,

I suspect the owner of Dolan's sadly isn't aware that city centre access from the M20 to Childers Road will be cut off when the SRR phase 2 opens. A lot of city-bound traffic from the M20 will then be using the Dock Road.

So what they may in fact have to do, is make it two lanes in the other direction if they bring it back down to one lane outbound on the Dock Road!

topper75 wrote: »
    The logic is that a good deal of the traffic that used to justify 2 lanes will now be coming from the tunnel instead.

Indeed, but how much harder would it have been to add 3 meters of extra lane? Perhaps the unfortunate location of the mansion entrance as you exit the junction is what caused the trouble?

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭ClutchIt

topper75 wrote: »

This is driving me mad. I drive in to Shannon every day from Castletroy. I've waited for this crap to be built for ages and now they reduce the old road to one lane permanantly. I can't believe this. There's a load of tailbacks already. F**k this one lane idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

ClutchIt wrote: »
    This is driving me mad. I drive in to Shannon every day from Castletroy. I've waited for this crap to be built for ages and now they reduce the old road to one lane permanantly. I can't believe this. There's a load of tailbacks already. F**k this one lane idea.

The road is meant as a bypass of the city (which Castletroy is part of)

Why not just back-pedal as far as Annacotty on the busier days and get onto M7/M18 there

But yes i agree, a pain in the arse. Yet another example of how the Athlone bypass was years ahead of its time, functioning as both a bypass and an inner relief road, and doing both very well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

But the tunnel isn't open yet. Once it does it will take the vast majority of this traffic off the old road.

knipex wrote: »
    But the tunnel isn't open yet. Once it does it will take the vast majority of this traffic off the old road.

In fairness people living on the opposite side of the Shannon are expected to use the tunnel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

You have to break eggs to make an omlette. Once the tunnel is open the traffic on the old road will be lower and one lane will be sufficent.

As said above the idea is to divert you onto the new road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

You have to break eggs to make an omlette. Once the tunnel is open the traffic on the old road will be lower and one lane will be sufficent.

As said above the idea is to divert you onto the new road.

I.e. it's a scam to force people to use the toll road.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Zoney wrote: »
    I.e. it's a scam to force people to use the toll road.

Not really - If your time isnt that important, you can just use Dock Road.

Like with most Motorway projects, the old road is downgraded, possibly to add traffic calming measures.

The road is a city bypass, not a relief road. If you live in the city, be thankful for the traffic now being (at least) halved.

Stupid place to put a toll IMO still - cheapskates should not be encouraged to clog up major bottlenecks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭freighter

Deedsie wrote: »
    May he rest in peace, thats absolutely tragic.

I know rip.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 danielmcinerney

In fairness people living on the opposite side of the Shannon are expected to use the tunnel.

most people ive talked to who have to cross the shannon every day for work or otherwise say theyre not going to use the tunnel! i think paying tolls daily might be seen just as a fact of life in dublin, but not down here. whether that changes over time....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Yes, some people will make life hard for themselves, and then expect sympathy that life is hard. Saving €3.80 a day can hardly be the path to riches! Best of luck to them.

most people ive talked to who have to cross the shannon every day for work or otherwise say theyre not going to use the tunnel! i think paying tolls daily might be seen just as a fact of life in dublin, but not down here. whether that changes over time....

Depends were you see value. €18 a week may be worth the time saved. You may even break even or it could cost you less because of reduced city center congestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭clon

In todays Limerick Leader, tunnel to open week after June 19th public open day. http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/Limerick-Tunnel-to-open-for.6314454.jp The National Roads Authority has confirmed the Limerick Tunnel will be open on Saturday, June 19, to allow people to walk up and down the tunnel, before it opens to traffic around a week later

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Depends were you see value. €18 a week may be worth the time saved. You may even break even or it could cost you less because of reduced city center congestion.
    Not if next near everyone does it!

What also happens (should the congestion lessen in town) is that people then see town as more attractive and thus make journeys they otherwise wouldn't make! Traffic expands to take up the empty space!

Either way. It will be interesting to see how this and the M3 toll goes when opened in the next weeks with regard to toll avoidance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

And that is their choice. If they wish cross the city then fine but don't whinge about the delays.

Not everyone will use it every day, I commutate across the city daily, will I use the tunnel daily, no.

But I will use it if I'm running late or have an early morning appointment, or if want to get across town quickly.

I don't expect everyone to use it, but if a good few do on random mornings it'll free up congestion in the city by a good margin.

This is similar to the toll on the M7/M8, I know many who will not use the toll, who aren't in a rush and will pop into Abbeyleix or Mountrath for a coffee or petrol. But I know many, myself included who will use it all the time and willing to pay €1.80.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭d1980

Im in the same situation LukeJr and agree with your thoughts..On another note, the tunnel will open the week after open day. It is noted that Dock Road to N20 interchange will be open for the day. Is it safe to assume that this road will be kept open for the week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

tech2 wrote: »
    Anyone else going to the open day on June 19th?

According the the NRA twitter website it will run from 10am-5pm and the meeting point is at the junction 2 for anyone thats interested. I presume there will be a shuttle bus to take anyone to the tunnel from there. I hope to take a few pictures as well all going well.
    I'd like to go so might see you there.
    Zoney wrote: »
    tech2,

I might make an effort to go along if I'm not busy.

I'm going to try and get there too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

cycled through the tunnel last week - long perfectly sufaced roads with not another person in sight - until the security guard eventually caught up with me and asked what I was doing and then mumbled something along the lines of "your shouldn't be here" so I turned round and cycled through again :D:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement