Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N18 - Limerick Tunnel & South Ring Road Phase II

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Pics or it did'nt happen "Homer" - if indeed that is your real name.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

bah someone must have some pictures of this mystical tunnel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

tell me how to post a photo and I'll show you em.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭fresca

Click on "Post Reply" button.
    Then click on the Paper Clip icon to add attachment.
    Browse to the file on your machine.
    Click attach.
    Sin e!
    tell me how to post a photo and I'll show you em.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Acrimonious posts deleted. Stay on topic and stay civil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭sonyair

picture of tunnel entrance now on homepage:

http://www.limericktunnel.com/

2 photos attached - proof !!

didn't realise it so easy to put up photos - tks fresca

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

thats proof enough for me,

cant wait for this to open,

glad u enjoyed da photos - 2 more for you.

how do you do the "thanks" notationation anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭freighter

glad u enjoyed da photos - 2 more for you.

how do you do the "thanks" notationation anyone.

Click on the little thumb on the right hand side post_thanks.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

My parents were heading out past the two mile inn the other night, just at the start of the roadworks. anyway the car in front of them stopped in the middle of the road for no apparent reason. Then it became apparent. A mother duck and 8 chicks waddled across the road, having already waddled across the other side of the dual carraigeway.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭gryff

Little blast from the past here... the roundabout under construction near Clonmacken - this is the one where you will ( hopefully this June) gain access to the tunnel. Not sure of date of pic - the 'new' bridge opened in May 88 I think - so this photo is probably winter 1985..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

gryff wrote: »
    ... the roundabout under construction near Clonmacken...

Thanks for posting that photo. I remember this craic well as a lad. I now live in the fields of the background of this shot in Clonmacken.

Funny that we still talk about the 'new' bridge.

Unless the name of a new infrastructure item is decided before or during construction, the appelation 'new' is adhered to by the man in the street. The authorities need to take heed of this.

topper75 wrote: »
    Thanks for posting that photo. I remember this craic well as a lad. I now live in the fields of the background of this shot in Clonmacken.

Funny that we still talk about the 'new' bridge.

Unless the name of a new infrastructure item is decided before or during construction, the appelation 'new' is adhered to by the man in the street. The authorities need to take heed of this.

When you say you live in the fields... hopefully they built some houses... or.....
    For those who dont remember back 25 years.. this bridge was a serious piece of infra-structure to be built at the time in Limerick - it took 40 years to get to construction - and it probably had more impact that the tunnel will have. Certainly in terms of reducing queues for Sarsfield bridge and getting in and out of the city generally. Not long after it opened it started whistling.... not sure how they cured that problem - there were some steel meshes stuck on the railings..but i think they were removed....
    also - it was reported they could have made it twice the width for 4 lanes for an extra million punts - but sure...why would you ever need 4 lanes...jaysus.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Wheelsonthebus

knipex wrote: »
    And that is their choice. If they wish cross the city then fine but don't whinge about the delays.

I'm sorry but thats such a dumb comment. Plenty of people will be coming from the north of the city and will have no need/no opportunity to use the tunnel, if the traffic situation on the road to Shannon is worse for them after a major infrasture project aimed at reducing traffic is completed then yes, they have a major right to "whinge" about delays.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

My parents were heading out past the two mile inn the other night, just at the start of the roadworks. anyway the car in front of them stopped in the middle of the road for no apparent reason. Then it became apparent. A mother duck and 8 chicks waddled across the road, having already waddled across the other side of the dual carraigeway.

OOOH! You Ducks are REALLY trying my patience...

But your soooo cute! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

The Special Olympics torch was brought through the tunnel yesterday. I heard it on the radio this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭db

gryff wrote: »
    When you say you live in the fields... hopefully they built some houses... or.....
    For those who dont remember back 25 years.. this bridge was a serious piece of infra-structure to be built at the time in Limerick - it took 40 years to get to construction - and it probably had more impact that the tunnel will have. Certainly in terms of reducing queues for Sarsfield bridge and getting in and out of the city generally. Not long after it opened it started whistling.... not sure how they cured that problem - there were some steel meshes stuck on the railings..but i think they were removed....
    also - it was reported they could have made it twice the width for 4 lanes for an extra million punts - but sure...why would you ever need 4 lanes...jaysus.
    This brings back some memories from the time of building that bridge and Condell Rd. The road was build on a marsh and took a long time to fill in with sub-base. The central pier of the bridge shifted sideways one night and had to be rebuilt. It seems we never learn with major infrastructure projects around Limerick - how about the main drainage scheme that cost the council millions!
    The steel mesh is still on the bridge. I would love to get rid of it and have the whistling bridge back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

db wrote: »
    The central pier of the bridge shifted sideways one night and had to be rebuilt.

Yeah, didn't some part collapse or was the bridge half-built for ages? I remember seeing something weird over there, though I don't know how I remember because I would have been 2 at the time :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

I'm sorry but thats such a dumb comment. Plenty of people will be coming from the north of the city and will have no need/no opportunity to use the tunnel, if the traffic situation on the road to Shannon is worse for them after a major infrasture project aimed at reducing traffic is completed then yes, they have a major right to "whinge" about delays.

If only people from the north of the city use the old road then there will be no issues at all. The vast majority of traffic currently on that road are coming from elsewhere and the tunnel will have a dramatic impact on traffic levels using this road.

There was no need to maintain the capacity of the old road.

There will no problem unless people decide not to use the tunnel.

knipex wrote: »
    If only people from the north of the city use the old road then there will be no issues at all. The vast majority of traffic currently on that road are coming from elsewhere and the tunnel will have a dramatic impact on traffic levels using this road.

There was no need to maintain the capacity of the old road.

There will no problem unless people decide not to use the tunnel.

Seeing as the tunnel is connecting 2 sides of the city reasonably close to the centre you'd imagine that it might make sense to have some sort of discounted scheme for residents - I dunno 300euro per year ?... i.e encourage people to use it rather than going the 'old way' and avoiding the tunnel when going shopping in the crescent or popping into the regional for a spot of heart surgery...kinda thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

Any details for the tunnel open day on Saturday? Is advanced booking required?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

PEOPLE will have a first and last opportunity to walk under the River Shannon next Saturday when the €660 million tunnel road connecting Limerick and Clare will open for pedestrians.

Up to 20,000 people are expected to attend the open day from 10am to 5pm and walk along the 900m tunnel, of which 675m goes under the river.

When the motorway opens in coming months, pedestrians will not be allowed to access it.

Tom King, managing director of Direct Route, said: "We will be providing 10km of parking on the roadway and will have up to 30 buses to provide park and ride to avoid delays. The public will have an opportunity to go on foot and see the finished article."

Read more: http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/public-given-once-in-a-lifetime-opportunity-to-walk-under-river-shannon-122450.html#ixzz0qsWsg9Ky

On the 95fm limerick today show this morning tom king confirmed that it would not open in june

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

sonyair wrote: »
    On the 95fm limerick today show this morning tom king confirmed that it would not open in june

Seriously? Ah balls, I thought it was to Open Friday week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

Did he happen to mention when it would open?

no just the usual 'it will open later in the summer' crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭pajoguy

From reliable sources I have heard end of July.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Is anyone from the South Tipp area heading to Limerick for the tunnel open day? I'd bum a lift if there was...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement