Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N18 - Limerick Tunnel & South Ring Road Phase II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭sonyair

the rosbrien slip from the m20 which gives access to the city will close from monday the 21st to facilitate the construction of the final section of median, expected opening date of 16th july all in limerick post today.
    on page 2 top left
    http://edition.pagesuite-professional.co.uk/digitaleditions.aspx?tab=0&pid=16d2df0b-b84b-4602-a4f3-05634de2cff3#

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Apparently there is no parking near the dock rd interchange. There is P&R facilities in Kilmurry lodge. I might just walk from my house :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

What time is anyone going to this? I won't be going till this afternoon if I can fit it in.

P+R is from Kilmurry Lodge (Dublin Road), City Plaza (Tipp Road) and Limerick Racecourse (M20/Patrickswell) - seemingly Dock Road access is pedestrian only which seems a bit strange given it isn't the most accessible location except by car!

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭bacon&cabbage

Zoney wrote: »
    What time is anyone going to this? I won't be going till this afternoon if I can fit it in.

P+R is from Kilmurry Lodge (Dublin Road), City Plaza (Tipp Road) and Limerick Racecourse (M20/Patrickswell) - seemingly Dock Road access is pedestrian only which seems a bit strange given it isn't the most accessible location except by car!

Was just there, plenty of parking at the Dock road interchange

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

tech2 wrote: »
    Apparently there is no parking near the dock rd interchange. There is P&R facilities in Kilmurry lodge. I might just walk from my house :D

Loads of Parking

81321C6232B841BDB0E7B29DEE751DEC-800.jpg

• Advertisement

A link to a few pics I took at the open day today.

Roundabout at Castlemungret
    609BE5226DA04B498DC1AC2E6EE85F4C-800.jpg

Facing the tunnel
    1A8E86373DA145B89BE065BCCCDC8D74-800.jpg

Approch to Tunnel
    4B183B87980E40FD8BB4D54CD883583C-800.jpg

Inside the tunnel
    A9F1F77D73174CE98377B9319FE2C4BF-800.jpg

Mid Point of the Shannon
    BA40D851E86D4989887AA9FEB2331DC4-800.jpg

Exit at Clare Side
    BC9420F652044E1AB720228EF7F3D46F-800.jpg

Pano - from the Limerick side towards the tunnel
    3849BAC298AC40B9ABCFEC99EB9CBFE5-800.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭blindsider

16th July looking very likely for opening according to local sources.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

When did the NRA decide this would be N18 rather than N7?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

Had a walk in around it, very impressive. One question I do have is, and it may be obvious, but are there any restrictions to the heights of the vehicles permitted?

Had a walk in around it, very impressive. One question I do have is, and it may be obvious, but are there any restrictions to the heights of the vehicles permitted?

There was no obvious signs (that I saw anyway) so I take it that it has the same clearance as the bridges on the M7.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Furet wrote: »

Not sure, but its a shame they didnt call it N7 because then it may have been M7 :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

How come its another month from opening and its all finished looking from the pics above....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭WalterMitty

just saw this on news . it cost 660million for less than a kilometre! is that normal cost for a tunnel?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

Furet - if they called the tunnel the N7,
    would they not have to re-designate every sign between Dublin to Limerick to reflect the fact that Limerick would not more be the destination point for the N7 out of Dublin!
    I think it makes sense for all the routes N1 up to N11 to end on a coastline ( Belfast, Derry, Ballshannon, Sligo, Galway, Limerick, Cork, Waterford and Wexford).

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You left out Westport and the N10 doens't end on a coast ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

MYOB wrote: »
    You left out Westport and the N10 doens't end on a coast ;)

:o you what I meant!

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭lukejr

just saw this on news . it cost 660million for less than a kilometre! is that normal cost for a tunnel?

That price also includes nearly 10km of dual carriageway, plus junctions connecting to M20, M7 and N18 and also to the Dockroad and Coonagh.

Land purchase also made up a considerable chunk of the scheme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭The Word Is Bor

SARASON wrote: »
    How come its another month from opening and its all finished looking from the pics above....

I would imagine it is down to the fire officer certifying the tunnel and it's safety procedures along with the Stage 3 Road Safety Audit. The tie-ins may not be fully completed yet not to mention all the required signage.

Also the road may be built but the paper-work necessary to certify substantial completion might not be in hand yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Did the walk today and noticed they had speed limits posted at 30kph on the electronic signs.

Surely that won't be the limit when it is opened?Or was that just for anyone using it today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Nah I reckon they just wanted something on the signs. In those pics above the word CONTRAFLOW was on another sign.

Looks a step up from the digital signage of the Lee Tunnel. Tho that has a habit of saying that the left lane in one bore is closed but the bollards actually close the right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

I would imagine it is down to the fire officer certifying the tunnel and it's safety procedures along with the Stage 3 Road Safety Audit. The tie-ins may not be fully completed yet not to mention all the required signage.

Also the road may be built but the paper-work necessary to certify substantial completion might not be in hand yet.

Well the interchange isn't finished either yet on the N18 side although most of the work now is superficial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

Mapped now on OpenStreetMap.

What you see is a mix of what has been surveyed (the part that was open for the open day plus the two tie-ins on the existing N18) and some extrapolation between these points. We'll adjust the mapping on opening, or sooner if anybody can donate GPS traces.

I renamed the thread N18 over 2 months ago. I saw a ADS sign on the previous newsletter. To be honest it makes sense having it the N18.

I was very impressed after having a look at it yesterday. There is emergency phones on the stretch. Photos to be uploaded in a day or two. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

of course it makes sense to be the N/M18..that way the M7/18 and 20 all end at the same point (more or less) at Limerick...it will make a huge difference to journeys along the Western Road Corridor:).

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭emfifty

based on this report the tunnel will open end of july. sounds about right.

(it's a fine road but one thing that always bugs me is the fitting of signs to an incorrect gantry size. same happened on the m6 kilbeggen to athlone and it looks terrible!)

phog wrote: »
    Loads of Parking

:D Yep there was plenty of it. I just parked on the hard shoulder of the main road towards the industrial estate.

It was a great day out especially with the weather cast over the city brought even more people out to see it. Junction 1 at Rossbrien to the off ramp at junction 2 were blocked off to pedestrians. Access was allowed for pedestrians on the westbound carriageway from there to the Tunnel and just past it. The eastbound carriageway was for security/media/live95fm (even though some decided to walk it)

The road ploughs through Bunlicky lake and then makes it's decent towards the tunnel. Footpath on both sides of the tunnel and no hard shoulder in each bore. Access doors every couple of meters to escape onto the other bore in case of emergencys. Coming out on the Clare side there was tea/coffee facilities which provided a bit of energy for the return journey.

I travelled back on the eastbound carrigeway and was just as good. Passed some ADS for J2 which I will post up eventually. Some books and caps to commemorate the event were on sale for 5 euro and the procceds went to charity. All in all a very good day of viewing one of the finest infrastructural projects ever to be carried out in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement