Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N18 - Limerick Tunnel & South Ring Road Phase II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 danielmcinerney

gryff wrote: »
    was talkin to one of the contractors today and he said the tunnel opening date was planned for the Friday of the August bank holiday.. = 31st July

31st july!? they are really dragging their heels in these finishing stages. frustrating when u think of the great progress made in the last few months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

31st july!? they are really dragging their heels in these finishing stages. frustrating when u think of the great progress made in the last few months

My sentiments aswell. There a bit like the cork football team, start of great and end in disaster at full time:(.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

SARASON wrote: »
    My sentiments aswell. There a bit like the cork football team, start of great and end in disaster at full time:(.

The N18 tunnel tie is finished, it's blatantly obvious! Any work they're doing now they're just dragging their heels!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

The N18 tunnel tie is finished, it's blatantly obvious! Any work they're doing now they're just dragging their heels!

Its not in the companies interest to drag their heels. They gain nothing by doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

One of the electronic signs was working tonight. It displayed "Watch your speed"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

knipex wrote: »
    Its not in the companies interest to drag their heels. They gain nothing by doing so.

So why are they dragging their heels?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

CerebralCortex:

I really don't think they are - there have been various bits to finish as regards signage and bits and pieces, there's the M7/M20 tie-in to finish off, and I suspect there's a bit more work at the N18 tie-in, not to mention commissioning the toll plaza.

I haven't seen it in person, but I'm guessing that most of all, the Ennis Road works aren't really ready yet.

Zoney wrote: »
    CerebralCortex:

I really don't think they are - there have been various bits to finish as regards signage and bits and pieces, there's the M7/M20 tie-in to finish off, and I suspect there's a bit more work at the N18 tie-in, not to mention commissioning the toll plaza.

I haven't seen it in person, but I'm guessing that most of all, the Ennis Road works aren't really ready yet.

The M7 M20 tie in is to the best of my knowledge finished.

There is a bit of work going on at the Ennis road but appears to be landscaping related.

To the best of my knowledge there is a financial advantage to finishing early plus the longer they are on site and have people working the more they have to spend.

I cannot see any reason why they would drag out the finishing unless they had to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭blindsider

They're not dragging their heels at all. From what I hear, the infrastructure is 99% there. They're now working on the emergency and safety systems. The Emergency Services also need to carry out a few safety exercises etc etc. (I believe there's an exercise tomorrow??)

July 16th still on the cards apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Mc Love wrote: »
    One of the electronic signs was working tonight. It displayed "Watch your speed"

The electronic gantry signs were working on the Condell Road and Clonmaken Road a few weeks ago. They were saying "Tunnel Closed" :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭sonyair

toll staff are to start next monday i have heard on the grape vine

sonyair wrote: »
    toll staff are to start next monday i have heard on the grape vine

Jaysus thats some settling into a job time:rolleyes:. 2 weeks:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭brainyneuron

blindsider wrote: »
    They're not dragging their heels at all. From what I hear, the infrastructure is 99% there. They're now working on the emergency and safety systems. The Emergency Services also need to carry out a few safety exercises etc etc. (I believe there's an exercise tomorrow??)

July 16th still on the cards apparently

Its July 1st tomorrow and they still haven't announced a date. I'd say it'll be closer to the end of July. The M8 people announced the date about a month before didn't they??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

SARASON wrote: »
    Jaysus thats some settling into a job time:rolleyes:. 2 weeks:(

All jobs need training I suppose. It's not like they'll be sitting in booths staring at an empty road to settle in.

I'd say end of month too. Cones will be out on N18 for a while yet.

garda and two workers standing at the westbound on ramp at the dock rd roundabout, what ever is going on

it was an emergency simulation with a 13 car pile up along with fire and smoke to test the emergency crews

IMG-1922a.jpg
    DSC-0248-544x362--2.jpg
    IMG-2142a.jpg

all photos copyright blues-twos.com/clare fire and rescue

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭NewApproach

How much is the toll going to be does anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

garda and two workers standing at the westbound on ramp at the dock rd roundabout, what ever is going on

Coffee & Doughnuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

How much is the toll going to be does anyone know?

Think the sign at Clonmacken says 1.80 for cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 danielmcinerney

wasnt all the emergency services stuff done ages ago??
    they seem to doing SFA at the moment. i only see about 2 people around when i pass the radisson section every morning. and nothing has been done on the rosbrien section since they closed it off 2 weeks ago, all fences are still up blocking the road to the tunnel. wish they would get the finger out!

• Advertisement

it was an emergency simulation with a 13 car pile up along with fire and smoke to test the emergency crews

Is that the end of the simulations and fire training ?

Looking at the pictures there was allot of smoke and heat, Will the tunnel require repair (even cosmetic repairs) after the simulation ?

Work was going on at the rosbrien interchange this evening. One of the signs appears to be having more earth put around it. There were 3 dumper trucks and 2 diggers there at 5:30

• Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭130Kph

Looking at those dramatic photos from sonyair I'm reminded of the fire in the
    Austrian funicular in 2001. In that fire which was 600m into a 3,200m tunnel,

155 people were killed, mostly because they were trapped. however 18 survived by running away from the fire downhill. Anyone who escaped and ran away uphill was killed :eek: Lesson - use your logic in an accident situation.

Having said that, multiple vehicle pile-ups are rare outside of fog in
    ireland (& UK , Europe). The Dublin port tunnel is more risky though - due to
    its length. That is why everyone should try to obey the 80kph speed limit.

My tuppence worth is that the SRR II will open on 16 July - for the reason
    they don't need a month to train / safety preparation.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

IMG-1922a.jpg
    DSC-0248-544x362--2.jpg
    IMG-2142a.jpg

all photos copyright blues-twos.com/clare fire and rescue

Where's Sylvester Stallone when you need him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

A bit late but I thought I may as well upload a few pictures of the scheme from the public open day:

DSC03410.jpg

DSC03416.jpg

DSC03418.jpg

DSC03417.jpg

DSC03423.jpg

DSC03428.jpg

DSC03434.jpg

DSC03433.jpg

DSC03429.jpg

DSC03406.jpg

DSC03405.jpg

Better late than never:). Just looking there galway 103 kms from limerick. Cork is the same distance roughly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

LOL at the "N69 Drive"! What's that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Furet wrote: »
    LOL at the "N69 Drive"! What's that?

Dunno some of the alignment is close to the sea and gives stunning views during a sunny day especially around Foynes and Glin to Listowel. In theory it's just another national secondary route!! I got to say the NRA are finally putting up some good tourist directional signage especially on the HQDC's and motorways.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I notice in the picture of the interior of the tunnel, there's no dip in the kerb to either the emergency phone or the emergency door, preventing wheelchair users escaping unassisted. There's the same issue in the M50 tunnel but the N25 tunnel has dips in the kerbs for the emergency doors.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

How come the green signs for the N69 list Listowel but not Tralee? After all, the N69 terminates in Tralee.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Quackster wrote: »
    How come the green signs for the N69 list Listowel but not Tralee? After all, the N69 terminates in Tralee.
    Because the N20 is the better route to Tralee and it would be quite confusing to sign two junctions right after the other for Tralee?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement