Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N18 - Limerick Tunnel & South Ring Road Phase II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

anyone see the new signs at the tunnel entrances - clearway, no pedestrians, no horse & carts, etc, ?

I can see American tourists seeing them and thinking we are still driving round in these the whole time. though I'm sure a little sign isn't going to stop the sulkies cantering through if they feel like it.

The toll operator refusing to let them through and calling the Guards a few times might.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

ya, but if they enter from the Dock Road side won't they be all way through before they meet the toll operators

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Zoney wrote: »
    Also for regular commuters, spending an extra €72 per month (approx) is not necessarily a negligable cost.
    Depending on the car and driving style, you could spend that much extra in fuel if stuck in peak-time city centre traffic compared to taking the tunnel... maybe... if you have a V12 :)
    Yes that they took away two lanes which makes no sense whatsoever, when they could have designed it to be two lanes (also for the fact that the tunnel is restricted height).

It does make sense. They needed space to make new grade-separated junctions and roundabouts. They would have had to buy a lot more land if they were going to do this and keep the two lanes on the old N18 (that feels weird saying that - I remember when it was the new road!).

Whether it will still be a bottleneck when the tunnel opens is another thing - I'm hoping they've predicted traffic accurately and it won't be, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see. :/

isn't the one lane only for the exit though - it branches out to two lanes again once past the Radisson roundabout so shouldn't be too much of a bottleneck there really. Its then two lanes all the way through to the Coonagh roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

Depending on the car and driving style, you could spend that much extra in fuel if stuck in peak-time city centre traffic compared to taking the tunnel... maybe... if you have a V12 :)

It does make sense. They needed space to make new grade-separated junctions and roundabouts. They would have had to buy a lot more land if they were going to do this and keep the two lanes on the old N18 (that feels weird saying that - I remember when it was the new road!).

Whether it will still be a bottleneck when the tunnel opens is another thing - I'm hoping they've predicted traffic accurately and it won't be, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see. :/
    isn't the one lane only for the exit though - it branches out to two lanes again once past the Radisson roundabout so shouldn't be too much of a bottleneck there really. Its then two lanes all the way through to the Coonagh roundabout.

Both very good points.
    ...I remember when it was the new road!...

Cool, finally someone I can ask about the houses built on the N18 near the Set rights tavern. Where they there before the road was built or are we as a nation pathologically incapable of planning and allow people to build houses on interurban routes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

The N18 there was originally a standard two lane road with houses down it. I think they originally dualled it by slapping a second carriageway down alongside the first.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

The N18 there was originally a standard two lane road with houses down it. I think they originally dualled it by slapping a second carriageway down alongside the first.

Wasn't the old route a bit different? Didn't it go through Bunratty or something? I remember it being quite different, though there were changes to the N19 to Shannon as well.
    Cool, finally someone I can ask about the houses built on the N18 near the Set rights tavern. Where they there before the road was built or are we as a nation pathologically incapable of planning and allow people to build houses on interurban routes?
    Sorry, don't really know the area. And I would have been about 8 when the dual carriageway opened :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

Wasn't the old route a bit different? Didn't it go through Bunratty or something? I remember it being quite different, though there were changes to the N19 to Shannon as well.

Sorry, don't really know the area. And I would have been about 8 when the dual carriageway opened :)

The dual carriageway past Bunratty is a bypass finished in 1990 I think. The old road either side of Bunratty was dualled as Chris says. The bit west/north of Bunratty was very short but incorporated the crazy at-grade N19 junction, and the at-grade Hurler's Cross. The bit just east of Bunratty was dualled outwards from Limerick I think, certainly though I was a kid I remember that straight stretch between Bunratty and Setrights having an "under construction" carriageway beside it for some time (occupied by travellers at one point too IIRC). I think the dual-carriageway from Setrights was opened to Bunratty only a couple of years before the bypass opened (somewhere around 1987-89?).

The layout at Setrights was amended sometime in the 1990s to incorporate a GSJ for Cratloe, closing the median break at the pub and a footbridge was installed also.

I think the dual carriageway from Setrights to the Coonagh Roundabout is all the same vintage (1970s), though the roundabout was put in at the time of the Condell Road and Shannon Bridge (around 1990?).

The original dual carriageway was rebuilt all the way from the end of the Bunratty bypass to the start of the Newmarket-on-Fergus bypass, including grade separation of hurler's cross (previous a median break) and rebuilding the old N19 junction (now just a LILO onto the old N19 from the northbound carriageway). Work in early 2000s, finished in 2003 I think.

The original dual carriageway just west of Bunratty (the other end of the bypass) also had serious remedial work a couple of years ago as it was sinking into the landscape. Judging by the rollercoaster that the Bunratty bypass is becoming, I would expect the same to be done there soon enough, or else for catastrophic failure if they postpone it due to lack of money.

With the replacing of median breaks with roundabouts (Coonagh Cross, Radisson) in the Ennis Road approaching the city, I think the only original "untouched" part of the dual carriageway from Limerick to Shannon will be that short winding bit between the new SRR junction and the Cratloe GSJ approaching Setrights.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

Passing on Sunday and there were vans, trucks and pickups parked at the Robbrien interchange with about a dozen guys working (I have no idea what they were doing)

Again this morning at 7am trucks vans, pickups etc parked with guys moving cones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

So when is this opening is it the 16th?

• Advertisement

So when is this opening is it the 16th?

Not at all likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭brainyneuron

Considering today is the 12th, I would highly doubt they'll be opening in 4 days without announcing it at least 2 weeks before hand. Could someone take off the date from the title of the thread?? I really hope they'll open before the races, it would be idiotic not to considering most of the work is already finished on the road!

spoke to security guard down near the Toll plaza yesterday - they've been told its opening on Friday. It'll just open without fanfair - official opening not till later in Autumn.

Pretty much matches what I heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭black47

knipex wrote: »
    Pretty much matches what I heard.
    Excellent news. Surely it'll be on Limerick local radio or Morning Ireland on Friday morning. It's a fairly major milestone

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

From all the work that they are doing today - it would point to a friday opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭brainyneuron

Wow well I'm prob wrong then (would love if it was open on Friday, would make my trips to Galway so much easier!). Does anyone know why they're not announcing an opening date and just opening without warning? And why are they not doing the grand opening thing till the Autumn? Just seems a bit weird!

Wow well I'm prob wrong then (would love if it was open on Friday, would make my trips to Galway so much easier!). Does anyone know why they're not announcing an opening date and just opening without warning? And why are they not doing the grand opening thing till the Autumn? Just seems a bit weird!

It wouldn't be the first time. The official opening of the first part of the bypass Adare to Patrickswell was months after the actual opening.

They are currently working from 7 am until later 7 days a week doing last minute finishing (cats eyes on the M7 to M20 off ramp., additional landscaping around signs where additional earth was placed, road sweeping where traffic cones have been for the last number of months etc.)

Remember also the Nenagh to Birdhill section opened with only a few hours notice....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Does anyone know why they're not announcing an opening date and just opening without warning? And why are they not doing the grand opening thing till the Autumn? Just seems a bit weird!

Not announcing the unofficial opening is weird alright (if that is the case).

The 'grand opening' always comes later though. That is the established practice for some reason.

topper75 wrote: »
    Not announcing the unofficial opening is weird alright (if that is the case).

The 'grand opening' always comes later though. That is the established practice for some reason.

Politicians on their summer holidays and not around to take the glory I would have thought. Better to leave the opening until they are nice and rested

• Advertisement

Paid for by taxpayers. Built by contractors. But the politicians get the glory with names on plaques.

This annoys me. It is an extremely unrepublican practice.

In days of yore the gentry would have their name on plaques on bridges, but often they paid for the the infrastructure, e.g. Dunraven in Adare, so that made some sense.

In 2010, for our TDs to be doing this is a bit Kim Jong Il.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Jayuu

topper75 wrote: »
    Paid for by taxpayers. Built by contractors. But the politicians get the glory with names on plaques.

This annoys me. It is an extremely unrepublican practice.

In days of yore the gentry would have their name on plaques on bridges, but often they paid for the the infrastructure, e.g. Dunraven in Adare, so that made some sense.

In 2010, for our TDs to be doing this is a bit Kim Jong Il.

While I don't completely disagree with you, personally as long as a road opens when its finished, I don't care if some politician wants to do a photo op and get his or her name on a plaque.

Does anybody read them? No!
    Is anyone likely to vote for somebody because they opened a road? No!

So if they want their five minutes of adulation let them have it. Just make sure it doesn't delay the opening of the road in question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

From what I've heard it will open earliest at the 16th and the 30th at the latest. Some snag list to be completed and emergency training is still ongoing.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

According to the Examiner it's to open on Friday.

Just passed the Dock Rd interchange and all the street lighting is switched on on the motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ocallm

Still looks like there is lot of cleanup work to be done at M18 junction

ocallm wrote: »
    Still looks like there is lot of cleanup work to be done at N18 junction

Typo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 danielmcinerney

anyone know what the big hole is for that theyre digging after the n18 roundabout, on the limerick side?? whatever theyre doing it doesnt look like theyll be done by friday

ocallm wrote: »
    Still looks like there is lot of cleanup work to be done at N18 junction
    anyone know what the big hole is for that theyre digging after the n18 roundabout, on the limerick side?? whatever theyre doing it doesnt look like theyll be done by friday

good points - but does not stop them opening the tunnel per se on Friday

work will continue next week

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Jayuu

I'm wondering if they are deliberately not saying anything about the tunnel opening on Friday so as not to have huge volumes on it on its first days.

This would give them Friday (partial opening), Saturday and Sunday (non-weekdays so potentially less commuter traffic) to see if there are any potential problems that need to be ironed out before their first full volume day on the following Monday.

Just a thought.

• Advertisement

Jayuu wrote: »
    I'm wondering if they are deliberately not saying anything about the tunnel opening on Friday so as not to have huge volumes on it on its first days.

This would give them Friday (partial opening), Saturday and Sunday (non-weekdays so potentially less commuter traffic) to see if there are any potential problems that need to be ironed out before their first full volume day on the following Monday.

Just a thought.

A fair point but let's just hope the dam thing opens on Friday

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement