Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N18 - Limerick Tunnel & South Ring Road Phase II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

topper75 wrote: »
    Let's say you built your whole premise on a freakish instance in the middle of the day when there was no traffic on the Dock Rd...:)

Most people are moving along the Dock Road in rush hour and a 20-30 minute delay is typical.

€3.60 x 5 = weekly spend of €18. You can get 3.5 to 5 hours of your life back for that. Good deal to me.

And you would definitely save money on Diesel by taking the tunnel.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

It will be interesting to see how traffic levels through the tunnel compare to those on the Suir Bridge. As far as I can see, there's been no impact on city-centre traffic here in Waterford (the NRA counter is still even in place on Rice Bridge even though it's no longer the N25 :rolleyes: and the volumes are still up around 37-38 K daily). People are much more averse to paying the toll than I thought they would have been.

I can imagine a lot of in-city journeys (Ennis Road to Crescent for example) still being made via the city centre, and only the real long distance journeys (Galway/Ennis to Cork/Waterford) being substantially moved onto the new road.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Jayuu

fricatus wrote: »
    It will be interesting to see how traffic levels through the tunnel compare to those on the Suir Bridge. As far as I can see, there's been no impact on city-centre traffic here in Waterford (the NRA counter is still even in place on Rice Bridge even though it's no longer the N25 :rolleyes: and the volumes are still up around 37-38 K daily). People are much more averse to paying the toll than I thought they would have been.

I can imagine a lot of in-city journeys (Ennis Road to Crescent for example) still being made via the city centre, and only the real long distance journeys (Galway/Ennis to Cork/Waterford) being substantially moved onto the new road.

I don't think in the case of the Suir Bridge it a case of people being averse to paying tolls. I think its more a case of Waterford being a final destination for most of this traffic so the Bridge doesn't come into play. However anybody I know who is transiting through (to Cork or Wexford) tends to go through the bridge and pay the toll because of the time saved by avoiding the city, and not just because of the traffic but because its a far more direct route.

So yes, there still may be delays in Waterford but the through traffic is no longer caught up in that which for them is a blessing. It may turn out that the Limerick Tunnel will be the same, doing more for through traffic that actual destination traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

Jayuu wrote: »
    I don't think in the case of the Suir Bridge it a case of people being averse to paying tolls. I think its more a case of Waterford being a final destination for most of this traffic so the Bridge doesn't come into play. However anybody I know who is transiting through (to Cork or Wexford) tends to go through the bridge and pay the toll because of the time saved by avoiding the city, and not just because of the traffic but because its a far more direct route.

So yes, there still may be delays in Waterford but the through traffic is no longer caught up in that which for them is a blessing. It may turn out that the Limerick Tunnel will be the same, doing more for through traffic that actual destination traffic.

I wouldnt be sure fo that. For Raheen or Dooradoyle traffic the Tunnell would offer significant time savings. Similarly for Ballysimon or even castletroy Basically anyone serviced by an offramp.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

knipex wrote: »
    I wouldnt be sure fo that. For Raheen or Dooradoyle traffic the Tunnell would offer significant time savings. Similarly for Ballysimon or even castletroy Basically anyone serviced by an offramp.

Ya if I was going to Dooradoyle from the Clonmacken rb where I live, I'd gladly pay the €3.60 to avoid Limerick city center e.g. on any given Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Has anyone confirmed the tunnel is opening friday or is it hearsay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

SARASON wrote: »

Clown is opening it himself on Tuesday and that seems to be definate now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

Ya if I was going to Dooradoyle from the Clonmacken rb where I live, I'd gladly pay the €3.60 to avoid Limerick city center e.g. on any given Saturday.

In fairness you live at the best point, but people in Thomondgate, north circular road, ashbrook etc. I'm not so sure of the benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

SARASON wrote:

Thread title needs to be updated. Most reports are now saying next Tuesday as that's when Brian Cowen is available for the opening.: http://www.examiner.ie/ireland/shannon-tunnel-to-save-half-hour-travel-time-after-tuesday-opening-125625.html

So C U Next Tuesday, Mr. Cowen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Clown is opening it himself on Tuesday and that seems to be definate now.

Why do they need that gob****e to open it...:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

In fairness you live at the best point, but people in Thomondgate, north circular road, ashbrook etc. I'm not so sure of the benefit.
    You mean people who live within spitting distance of the bridges? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

I'm living in Clonmacken,this tunnel is gonna make life so much easier.

Especially heading up the M7/N7 on a Friday evening to go visit the folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

I live in Clonmacken also, i like it there. But i got a new job in Portlaoise. Id love to stay living in Clonmacken, but i think the commute would be horrendous untill the birdhill to Limerick and Castletown to Nenagh sections are done?

€7.20 in tolls a day, €36 per week. I dont think i can justify it even when it is complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

So thats €1.80 x 7 = €12.60 per hour and to take home €12.60 an hour you would need to earn about €16-€18 an hour.

I'd have thought most people who can afford to be driving to work will be earning something in this region :confused: Thats the average industrial, and you're also working out off a very rare freak traffic movement. Although the non-tolled route will be quicker once some traffic is in the tunnel.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Jayuu wrote: »
    It may turn out that the Limerick Tunnel will be the same, doing more for through traffic that actual destination traffic.
    Wow, do you know what a bypass is??

The Tunnel isn't for either traffic whose destination is Limerick, or local traffic. It's only for long distance through traffic!

spacetweek wrote: »

The Tunnel isn't for either traffic whose destination is Limerick, or local traffic. It's only for long distance through traffic!

People who live in Dooradoyle and work in Shannon are through traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Jayuu

spacetweek wrote: »

Surprisingly I do know what a bypass is. A little less snark might be appropriate, thanks!

So what your saying is that if you're going a short distance from one side of Limerick to the other you won't be allowed use the tunnel. Will you need to show proof of destination then? Will you be out there personally checking usage? :rolleyes:

The tunnel is actually multi-functional. Do you know what multi-functional means?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Must be hell for people trying to commute from places like Shannon into Limerick at the moment having to go through the roundabout at the Radisson. Went through there twice during the week and the tailback was madness

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭god_dos

Mc Love wrote: »
    Must be hell for people trying to commute from places like Shannon into Limerick at the moment having to go through the roundabout at the Radisson. Went through there twice during the week and the tailback was madness

Yeah, I come from Crusheen to Raheen Ind Est each day and its not pleasant. I come in early enough so the tailback isn't too bad. hoping to work from home twice a week "going forward", so that diesel saving will allow me to use the tunnel the other 3 days. Otherwise I'll only be using it when I have to. 350 miles a week costs enough without adding an extra 18euro to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭richardjjd

NRA just tweeded:

Limerick Tunnel will open to the public on Monday 26th July @ approximately 3pm

• Advertisement

the NRA also tweeted (back in march)
    New section on the M7 Limerick to Nenagh from Birdhill to Limerick (15.5km) will open by the end of next week

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭sonyair

the tunnel website is down, so must be something happening

http://www.limericktunnel.com

sonyair wrote: »
    the tunnel website is down, so must be something happening

http://www.limericktunnel.com

Ya it's called being too cheap to maintain a website.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ocallm

Given the cost and scale of the project it is surprising they don't announce opening soon or an opening date on the electronic signage coming up to the tunnel. When the Portlaoise to Borris section opened it was advertised on mobile screens 2 weeks in advance! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Given the cost and scale of the project it is surprising they don't announce opening soon or an opening date on the electronic signage coming up to the tunnel.

It is surprising that they don't want to drum up business.
    No that is Armagh.

yeah, clear off, you aren't getting our name!

ocallm wrote: »
    Given the cost and scale of the project it is surprising they don't announce opening soon or an opening date on the electronic signage coming up to the tunnel. When the Portlaoise to Borris section opened it was advertised on mobile screens 2 weeks in advance! :confused:

That because they didn't know the date.

Apparently this is the first tunnel to open in Europe since new safety legislation came into place and noone had any idea how long the paperwork would take to process.

Hence they have already gotten the date wrong twice (even though never officially announced the date) look at the not opening last Friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 danielmcinerney

knipex wrote: »
    That because they didn't know the date.
    Apparently this is the first tunnel to open in Europe since new safety legislation came into place and noone had any idea how long the paperwork would take to process.

oh ya, we heard this from the manager of direct route whoever his name is, talks like a politician. surely they wouldnt have let 40,000 people walk under it if all the safety regulations or paperwork hadnt been signed off?? should have been open before the golf pro-am in adare to cater for all the traffic that it generated. but that would have been clever i suppose

oh ya, we heard this from the manager of direct route whoever his name is, talks like a politician. surely they wouldnt have let 40,000 people walk under it if all the safety regulations or paperwork hadnt been signed off?? should have been open before the golf pro-am in adare to cater for all the traffic that it generated. but that would have been clever i suppose

There is a huge difference between thousands of pedestrians and articulated lorries potentially full of god knows what crashing at 100kph and the safety implications of both..

The tunnel was to all extents and purposed finished for the open day its the paperwork that is delaying things.....

Its still months ahead of schedule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

By the standards of other cities and that Limerick is a kip.

Any more posts like the one I've quoted will result in posts deleted and severe infractions. This thread is for the limerick tunnel scheme, please keep on topic folks. Other users not regulars in infrastructure like to check progress and will not look at this thread if its filled with rubbish not relating to the scheme.

• Advertisement

tech2 wrote: »
    Any more posts like the one I've quoted will result in posts deleted and severe infractions. This thread is for the limerick tunnel scheme, please keep on topic folks. Other users not regulars in infrastructure like to check progress and will not look at this thread if its filled with rubbish not relating to the scheme.

I apologise if it got out of hand. I probably should('ve) address(ed) the issues and defend(ed) my opinion in another thread. I assure my intentions were not to derail the thread, sorry.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement